Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Bin laden dead (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=19048)

OneSickPsycho 05-03-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 467694)
So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I was one of the only ones watching people gather in the streets to celebrate Bin Laden's death and feeling very sad?

I didn't have the same level of excitement that was portrayed in the media, on the streets, and across the web...

Kind of a 'meh' moment... it came too late for me to be excited because it opened a lot of old wounds for a lot of people and I don't really think Al Qaeda could be any more disorganized these days...

Definitely a big moment for our military, which I can appreciate... but I think a lot of the excitement was coming from people who were really only out to support their boy in office. I have a feeling that the outpouring of positives from the celebrity and youth subsets of our culture would have looked much different if this was done on Bush's watch.

Kaneman 05-03-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 467700)
I didn't have the same level of excitement that was portrayed in the media, on the streets, and across the web...

Kind of a 'meh' moment... it came too late for me to be excited because it opened a lot of old wounds for a lot of people and I don't really think Al Qaeda could be any more disorganized these days...

Definitely a big moment for our military, which I can appreciate... but I think a lot of the excitement was coming from people who were really only out to support their boy in office. I have a feeling that the outpouring of positives from the celebrity and youth subsets of our culture would have looked much different if this was done on Bush's watch.

It just seemed like a cross between Idiocracy and Team America World Police...only playing out in real life on live TV. We seem to be so easily herded.

shmike 05-03-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 467694)
So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I was one of the only ones watching people gather in the streets to celebrate Bin Laden's death and feeling very sad?

Explain your sadness please...

goof2 05-03-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 467687)
Yet

Technically, some bombs can, but you have to be willing to accept the consequences of that action. We are not a country that will do that anymore though.

I disagree. We take people out with traditional bombs as well as drones all the time. The difference here is the government wanted a body for DNA testing, pictures, and the ability to remove it. A bomb or drone obviously makes a hell of a mess and can make identifying those killed difficult to impossible. Our relationship with Pakistan most likely wouldn't allow our people to be on the ground for hours/days searching for body parts either.

People are skeptical about Bin Laden being dead already. How much more skepticism would there be if no body existed and no DNA testing had been done? If this strike were carried out with a bomb or drone there is a pretty good chance the government would be limited to thinking they may have gotten him. Removing that uncertainty made the risk of sending in the SEALs and helicopter pilots worth it to the administration.

goof2 05-03-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 467702)
It just seemed like a cross between Idiocracy and Team America World Police...only playing out in real life on live TV. We seem to be so easily herded.

What do you think the "proper" response was?

tommymac 05-03-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 467710)
I disagree. We take people out with traditional bombs as well as drones all the time. The difference here is the government wanted a body for DNA testing, pictures, and the ability to remove it. A bomb or drone obviously makes a hell of a mess and can make identifying those killed difficult to impossible. Our relationship with Pakistan most likely wouldn't allow our people to be on the ground for hours/days searching for body parts either.

People are skeptical about Bin Laden being dead already. How much more skepticism would there be if no body existed and no DNA testing had been done? If this strike were carried out with a bomb or drone there is a pretty good chance the government would be limited to thinking they may have gotten him. Removing that uncertainty made the risk of sending in the SEALs and helicopter pilots worth it to the administration.

Was reading earlier how the pakistani govt is backpeddaling saying they werent harboring him in their country.

Trip 05-03-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 467710)

You don't need DNA testing if you nuke Pakistan/Afghanistan off the map.

tommymac 05-03-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 467716)

Remove any doubt :rockwoot:

Cutty72 05-03-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 467716)

You know, I said that back in the 90's when everything started the FIRST time. Then we would have our very own glass covered oil fields, and all would be good.

tommymac 05-03-2011 11:17 AM

Now Obama is going ot the trade center on thursday, glad I wont be there. Bet the port authority nazis wont let him on the site since he doesnt have a daypass :lol: