Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Well....It happened (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=3113)

Rider 11-10-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 91541)
jesus christ! that's some messed up shit.

Back on topic, sucks that you went down but sounds like it could have been much worse.

It could have been much worse. I'm alive... and with all my original parts in tact.

Rider 11-10-2008 04:22 PM

UPDATE!

Looks like the bike is going to be totaled. $9711 worth of damage. Frame, Swing arm, sub frame, and forks are perfect. I may buy it back and just part the fucker out. :idk: I don't know what the buy back price is. Anyone looking for a track bike?

the chi 11-10-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 92019)
UPDATE!

Looks like the bike is going to be totaled. $9711 worth of damage. Frame, Swing arm, sub frame, and forks are perfect. I may buy it back and just part the fucker out. :idk: I don't know what the buy back price is. Anyone looking for a track bike?

bring her to FL, i'll take her off your hands cheap! :wink:

Glad to hear your healing up good...

ftr, I have never had a hike in rates after any of my random accidents...only the standard regulated hikes...thats with Allstate...never had to deal with State Farm on the MC yet...

Amber Lamps 11-10-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 92019)
UPDATE!

Ask about buying it back and I'll let you know depending on price and pics.

Rider 11-11-2008 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 92540)
Ask about buying it back and I'll let you know depending on price and pics.

Hopefully I find out soon. The insurance company is dragging their feet.

marko138 11-11-2008 08:59 AM

Whats the plan for a new ride? Another Zuk? Something else?

Rider 11-11-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 93064)
Whats the plan for a new ride? Another Zuk? Something else?

Don't know. I may not ride again. My knee is messed up pretty good.

marko138 11-11-2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 93080)
Don't know. I may not ride again. My knee is messed up pretty good.

How so? You don't think it'll heal enough to get back on? Or is is teh position of a SS? Maybe something a bit more comfortable would work.

Rider 11-11-2008 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 93088)
How so? You don't think it'll heal enough to get back on? Or is is teh position of a SS? Maybe something a bit more comfortable would work.

Yeah I had knee problems before I even started riding on the street. Now I don't know, I cant hardly bend my knee at all without pain. When a dump truck rolls over your leg it fucks your shit up. If I was going to buy something right now... It would probably be a motard or a VFR800. Something a little more upright and comfortable. I wouldn't rule out a Buell street fighter either.

the chi 11-11-2008 09:33 AM

Nooooooooooo...where would you be without riding?! This is terrible...:panic:

Katherine 11-11-2008 09:34 AM

Aw, Rider. I'm sorry to read all of this. You love riding. Are you sure about giving it up?

Rider 11-11-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine (Post 93137)
Aw, Rider. I'm sorry to read all of this. You love riding. Are you sure about giving it up?

I don't know yet. Really. I keep thinking that if I had tumbled another 2 feet further, it would have been my head or chest under the wheel of the truck and not my leg. I got real lucky. I have 2 kids to think about.

The thing about it is. There was NOTHING I could have done differently that could have avoided that accident. I did everything right but shit just happens. Had I been screwing around or even just speeding, I could chalk it up to a dumb mistake. This was no mistake on my part. I have all winter to think about it though.

marko138 11-11-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 93097)
Yeah I had knee problems before I even started riding on the street. Now I don't know, I cant hardly bend my knee at all without pain. When a dump truck rolls over your leg it fucks your shit up. If I was going to buy something right now... It would probably be a motard or a VFR800. Something a little more upright and comfortable. I wouldn't rule out a Buell street fighter either.

You always think about hanging it up after a crash. My shitty low side gave me the same thoughts. Heal up...see how it feels...then think about it again. The toughest part is waiting a long time to get back on the bike. The sooner you can get back on the better.

The first time I crashed I didn't ride again for 3 months. The first ride was tough. The low side I had a month ago wasn't as bad....as soon as my parts came in I rode again...only a two and a half week lay off.

Ducati Diva 11-11-2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 93097)

Even with knee probs you don't have to give up riding. You may need to go to a more cruiser oriented bike but not have to stop all together. Good luck I hope you feel better soon!

PhiSig1071 11-11-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 93145)
The thing about it is. There was NOTHING I could have done differently that could have avoided that accident. I did everything right but shit just happens. Had I been screwing around or even just speeding, I could chalk it up to a dumb mistake. This was no mistake on my part. I have all winter to think about it though.

That kind of wreck is a one in a million occurrence, so the chances of another wreck where you have done nothing wrong and it still reaches up and bites you are pretty slim. That having been said, riding is risky, and always will be.

Katherine 11-11-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 93145)
I don't know yet. Really. I keep thinking that if I had tumbled another 2 feet further, it would have been my head or chest under the wheel of the truck and not my leg. I got real lucky. I have 2 kids to think about.

I know what you're going through. Have you thought about the track more and street less?

Rider 11-11-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine (Post 93157)
I know what you're going through. Have you thought about the track more and street less?

That could be an option. :idk:

Katherine 11-11-2008 09:50 AM

After riding with you in Indy, I think you'd be great on the track. It'll satisfy that riding need and can do it with the most amount of precaution. People still get hurt out there, but it's usually due to their own errors.

the chi 11-11-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine (Post 93163)
After riding with you in Indy, I think you'd be great on the track. It'll satisfy that riding need and can do it with the most amount of precaution. People still get hurt out there, but it's usually due to their own errors.

The woman spouts truth!! I know several people these days that save most of their riding for the track and are happy doing so.

azoomm 11-11-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine (Post 93163)

And, it's much more controlled. Meaning, if there is injury to body or bike it is usually managed.

I don't want to paint the picture that nothing will happen at the track... but the likelyhood of outside forces causing something is much more slim.

I'm sorry your brain is into such a spin. Heal well, heal quickly and completely. THEN, make decisions. Don't ever decide anything until you are well.

Rider 11-11-2008 09:55 AM

I'll have to wait and see how my knee feels.

Katherine 11-11-2008 09:57 AM

I just want you happy, Ed. I know riding is a source of joy for you. It'd suck to see you tuck it away because of this. I'd understand it, of course, but it'd suck all the same.

Before you give it up all together, would you try a track day or at least attend one?

Amber Lamps 11-11-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 93174)
I'll have to wait and see how my knee feels.

I'm sorry you feel that way buddy...if I was still in Mi.I'd go hang out and talk to you about it in person...

The thing is Ed,there are very few people that understand how you feel better than I do. I have been where you are many times. To be honest,what you will determine in the next few weeks is how much you love riding. I remember that your wife was dead set against you buying this bike and I'm sure you're getting a full on assault of "I told you so"s. I also know that you have children and I'm sure that weighs on your mind. Take your time and weigh all of the variables. Remember one thing,you can always come back to riding. You have to be a father to your children and a husband to your wife first and foremost. People that dish out the "I'll do what I want and that bitch can just suck it up attitude" don't understand what a marriage and family are all about. Do what you have to to heal up,get your mind right and keep peace in your home.

JoJoYZF 11-11-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 93791)
I'm sorry you feel that way buddy...if I was still in Mi.I'd go hang out and talk to you about it in person...

The thing is Ed,there are very few people that understand how you feel better than I do. I have been where you are many times. To be honest,what you will determine in the next few weeks is how much you love riding. I remember that your wife was dead set against you buying this bike and I'm sure you're getting a full on assault of "I told you so"s. I also know that you have children and I'm sure that weighs on your mind. Take your time and weigh all of the variables. Remember one thing,you can always come back to riding. You have to be a father to your children and a husband to your wife first and foremost. People that dish out the "I'll do what I want and that bitch can just suck it up attitude" don't understand what a marriage and family are all about. Do what you have to to heal up,get your mind right and keep peace in your home.

That covers it very well.

Rider, you obviously understand your priorities and Im sure youll come up with a solution that suits you the best. Good luck on you recovery and just think, if you decide to go track only, you have a sick track toy waiting for you.

Amber Lamps 11-11-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJoYZF (Post 93924)
That covers it very well.

Rider, you obviously understand your priorities and Im sure youll come up with a solution that suits you the best. Good luck on you recovery and just think, if you decide to go track only, you have a sick track toy waiting for you.

Seriously,if the buy back is under $2000,you'd be almost crazy not to keep it....

JoJoYZF 11-11-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 94060)
Seriously,if the buy back is under $2000,you'd be almost crazy not to keep it....

No doubt. If the buy back is only 2k, Im tempted to go up to MI and rebuild it myself.

Cutty72 11-11-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 93791)

Holy shit Tigs, that's the most sensible and thoughtful thing I've ever seen you post! :panic:

Rider... shake it off, heal up and see what's happening then, it's all you can do.
As for the bike... a new(ish) 750 for cheap, excelent track bike!

Amber Lamps 11-11-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 94264)
Holy shit Tigs, that's the most sensible and thoughtful thing I've ever seen you post! :panic:

Rider... shake it off, heal up and see what's happening then, it's all you can do.
As for the bike... a new(ish) 750 for cheap, excelent track bike!

Hey now I am fucking human you know! Jesus! That's the last nice thing I'll ever say in open forum!!! Yeesh!

Amber Lamps 11-12-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJoYZF (Post 94257)
No doubt. If the buy back is only 2k, Im tempted to go up to MI and rebuild it myself.

my pay out was $9100 and my buy back was $1200....

Rider 11-12-2008 08:33 AM

Thanks for all the moral support guys. :twfix: This is why this place rocks.

I have an appointment to have an MRI done on my left leg. I still have some numbness in my leg and it's not getting any better after a week. My ankle is now turning purple and swelling up and it wasn't injured at all. All the blood is draining from my bruised knee into my ankle. I ran out of pain meds, and I called to see if I could get some more. I'll be picking up some more Vicodin and Flexoril after work.

Amber Lamps 11-12-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 94455)
Thanks for all the moral support guys. :twfix: This is why this place rocks.

I have an appointment to have an MRI done on my left leg. I still have some numbness in my leg and it's not getting any better after a week. My ankle is now turning purple and swelling up and it wasn't injured at all. All the blood is draining from my bruised knee into my ankle. I ran out of pain meds, and I called to see if I could get some more. I'll be picking up some more Vicodin and Flexoril after work.

Oh man,I have been there dude! Whatever you do,stay off that leg and do what you are told by the doctors! Be patient and try to keep your head up Bro! Try not to worry about the "what ifs" and concentrate on the now and the next moment. Be positive!!! You have people that love you and that are there for you. Pull that into yourself and hold it close for support when things get difficult and you will be just fine,I'm sure!

Gas Man 11-14-2008 09:04 PM

Rider... well you have all winter to think it over...

101lifts2 11-14-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 85954)
sorry guys... this is NOT ed's fault... it'd be VERY hard to prove he was doing 5mph over the speed limit... the gravel from the recent paving and the cold conditions added to his accident. if those conditions lower the speed limit then there should have been a construction sign lowering the speed limit...

The dude was blocking the road... unless they can tell by a skid mark or what ever, that ed was traveling at a speed greater than 35, the truck driver is at fault. but there's no way they'll be able to tell his speed down to 5mph. shit at least on my bike.... I loose 5mph in an instant by shutting the throttle. so chances are he'd be under 35mph by the time he hit the brakes.

Rider ran into the truck while the truck was in the lane which makes it his fault. Now, whether the cop wants to give him a ticket because of the gravel and wet conditions is up to the cop. I'm not saying he was doing anything wrong, but the truck isn't the one that lost control.

Sorry about the crash dude...you got hella lucky with a truck on your leg...real lucky. Heal up bro...

I lived in MI for 7 years...what city are u in?

ceo012384 11-15-2008 09:45 PM

That is a perfect track bike.

You can buy it back at auction for a couple grand and still have money for track parts and a street bike.

Rider 11-19-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 98738)
Rider ran into the truck while the truck was in the lane which makes it his fault. Now, whether the cop wants to give him a ticket because of the gravel and wet conditions is up to the cop. I'm not saying he was doing anything wrong, but the truck isn't the one that lost control.

Sorry about the crash dude...you got hella lucky with a truck on your leg...real lucky. Heal up bro...

I lived in MI for 7 years...what city are u in?

The truck was perpendicular to the rode backing into a driveway blocking both lanes of traffic just over the crest of a hill. There was no lose of control is was not being able to stop in time from a vehicle blocking the road over a blid hill.

I'm in Grand Rapids. I grew up in in So Cal though.

Rider 11-19-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceo012384 (Post 99586)
That is a perfect track bike.

You can buy it back at auction for a couple grand and still have money for track parts and a street bike.

I just heard back from the insurance company. Buy back is $2440 and it requires a scrap title since the damage was more than 91% of the value. Scrap title means it is no longer road worthy and can only ever be made into a track bike. It cant be titled for street use.

Doesn't matter to me, I wont buy it back anyway, but come on $9700 worth of damage? I find it hard to believe. But oh well...... That is the insurance companies problem now and not mine.

Oh another good thing is that if I get another bike, they cover the replacement value, so I can get an 09 or left over 08 for free. Otherwise if I just cash out, it just a check for market value of my old bike.

NONE_too_SOFT 11-19-2008 02:05 PM

go for an 09 ed, dew it dew it.

Amber Lamps 11-19-2008 02:07 PM

09 GSXR1000....mmm mmmm good!

Rider 11-19-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT (Post 103553)
go for an 09 ed, dew it dew it.

09 what? CBR? R6? Nothing says I HAVE to get a gixxer, just something equivalent in value. I have all winter to lust over something.

ontwo 11-19-2008 02:11 PM

Go with the GSXR. You know how great that bike was. Why venture into the unknown:idk:

Rider 11-19-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontwo (Post 103560)
Go with the GSXR. You know how great that bike was. Why venture into the unknown:idk:

If I go that route it will be all black this time.

Amber Lamps 11-19-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontwo (Post 103560)

Good point but with them footing the bill...what about a slightly used/left over 1098? Or the RC8? I don't know but if they're giving you full retail for your bike,I bet you could get a huge deal on an '08 WHATEVER right now!!!

AquaPython 11-19-2008 02:20 PM

:nopicsbs:

Rider 11-19-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 103563)
Good point but with them footing the bill...what about a slightly used/left over 1098? Or the RC8? I don't know but if they're giving you full retail for your bike,I bet you could get a huge deal on an '08 WHATEVER right now!!!

Those are out of the question. I would never find a leftover 848 let alone a 1098 for the price of an 09 gixxer. RC8? that's an 09 and it would even be close.

ceo012384 11-19-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 103537)
I just heard back from the insurance company. Buy back is $2440 and it requires a scrap title since the damage was more than 91% of the value. Scrap title means it is no longer road worthy and can only ever be made into a track bike. It cant be titled for street use.

Doesn't matter to me, I wont buy it back anyway, but come on $9700 worth of damage? I find it hard to believe. But oh well...... That is the insurance companies problem now and not mine.

Oh another good thing is that if I get another bike, they cover the replacement value, so I can get an 09 or left over 08 for free. Otherwise if I just cash out, it just a check for market value of my old bike.

DUDE. you get your bike back and 7300 bucks in your pocket and you're not considering that?

Jesus, you can buy track plastics and an exhaust and some wheels off the WERA boards for cheap, then buy a 2-3 year old 600SS for five grand for the street, and still have money for a track day or two left over. If you go with a replacement, you have a 2 year newer bike but so what? This is the perfect opportunity to expand your stable.

Epic win.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 103566)
Those are out of the question. I would never find a leftover 848 let alone a 1098 for the price of an 09 gixxer. RC8? that's an 09 and it would even be close.

Well, if you really wanted one:

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...-995-00-a.html

Rider 11-19-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceo012384 (Post 103610)
DUDE. you get your bike back and 7300 bucks in your pocket and you're not considering that?

Jesus, you can buy track plastics and an exhaust and some wheels off the WERA boards for cheap, then buy a 2-3 year old 600SS for five grand for the street, and still have money for a track day or two left over. If you go with a replacement, you have a 2 year newer bike but so what? This is the perfect opportunity to expand your stable.

Epic win.

Well, if you really wanted one:

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...-995-00-a.html

9700 was that amount of damage not what I'm getting back. Market value of the bike is $9022.40 - my $500 ineluctable.

So $8500 - $2400 = 6100 - about $2500 to get it track ready, leaves me about $3600 for a street bike. Interesting angle. :idk:

Wow that's a steal for an 08 848.

marko138 11-19-2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 103559)
09 what? CBR? R6? Nothing says I HAVE to get a gixxer, just something equivalent in value. I have all winter to lust over something.

Super Duke.

Rider 11-19-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 103660)
Super Duke.

Not for $15K. :panic:

DLIT 11-19-2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 103636)
9700 was that amount of damage not what I'm getting back. Market value of the bike is $9022.40 - my $500 ineluctable.

So $8500 - $2400 = 6100 - about $2500 to get it track ready, leaves me about $3600 for a street bike. Interesting angle. :idk:

About the interesting angle. Yeah, you would be left with $3,600, but if you put that as a down payment on another bike, you'll have a small monthly payment on a new or newer bike, right? So you would end up with a proper street bike that you'll be paying on and have a lethal track bike that's paid for. What are you waiting for??

Amber Lamps 11-19-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Whoa now you said they would give you "replacement" value if you buy a new bike. I doubt that you HAVE tyo buy the same EXACT bike,just a new one...in fact,I bet it'll be one of those deals where they cut a check to you and the dealership BUT once the check is cut,what you buy is up to you.

Amber Lamps 11-19-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 103669)
About the interesting angle. Yeah, you would be left with $3,600, but if you put that as a down payment on another bike, you'll have a small monthly payment on a new or newer bike, right? So you would end up with a proper street bike that you'll be paying on and have a lethal track bike that's paid for. What are you waiting for??

Problem with that is he probably has a loan out on the wrecked GSXR...

ceo012384 11-19-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

I see your point.

However, since gixxers are so plentiful, you can go on the wera boards and get it "track ready" for a lot cheaper than that. It's a question of how nice you want it to be. You could buy a stock exhaust can for 50 bucks, a rear wheel for 200, and some used race plastics for 300... if you wanted to do it on a budget.

I don't know how fast you are on the track or how "track prepped" you'd want to go with it... that's really just a question of money and your wants/needs.

Anyways, you can do whatever you want. What I'm trying to show you is that you have some great options here, and in my opinion have the perfect opportunity to get a sick track weapon and a good street bike. Clearly we all know that's what I would do in your current situation.

This sort of seems to me like the gear thing in that other thread... I know it's easiest and simplest to just let them get you a new bike and move on, but you might want to consider the other options you have.

In the end it's all your decision though. I'm sure you'll be happy with however it turns out :cheers:

DLIT 11-19-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 103739)

I thought he said it would be paid off and he would get money to replace it?

Rider 11-20-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 103739)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 103803)
I thought he said it would be paid off and he would get money to replace it?

Yeah it's paid off.

DLIT 11-20-2008 10:23 AM

And you're getting a bunch towards a replacement, right?

Rider 11-20-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 104248)
And you're getting a bunch towards a replacement, right?

Yeah, I Either get $9K for my bike and I find a new bike on my own Or I get a replacement. Basically what that means is they will find a new leftover 08 and buy that for me if I want.

marko138 11-20-2008 02:59 PM

Don't be a cheap bastard, buy the goddamn SuperDuke.

Rider 11-20-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 104477)
Don't be a cheap bastard, buy the goddamn SuperDuke.

Fuck that, but that 848 that CEO posted is awfully tempting.

ceo012384 11-20-2008 04:03 PM

If you are interested in that bike I would get on it quickly.

Ryan Hobbs is well known in this area as well as at the track, he sells tons of bikes and parts, and is a stand-up guy. Nice, too.

If you do buy it and don't get it delivered, we'll have to meet up if you come out here to get it.

Are you seriously interested in the bike? I'll give Ryan a heads up if you want.

Rider 11-21-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceo012384 (Post 104544)
If you are interested in that bike I would get on it quickly.

Ryan Hobbs is well known in this area as well as at the track, he sells tons of bikes and parts, and is a stand-up guy. Nice, too.

If you do buy it and don't get it delivered, we'll have to meet up if you come out here to get it.

Are you seriously interested in the bike? I'll give Ryan a heads up if you want.

Nah, I was at the dealer last night getting a new helmet and I was lusting over the 08 all black gixxer 750 that was sitting in the showroom.

marko138 11-21-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 105051)
Nah, I was at the dealer last night getting a new helmet and I was lusting over the 08 all black gixxer 750 that was sitting in the showroom.

Booooooooooooo.

Rider 11-21-2008 11:51 AM

Here she is being hauled away to the insurance companies storage facility. :no::jump:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...20081203-1.jpg

Quick281 11-21-2008 01:32 PM

Got any more pictures? It just doesn't look that bad to be totalled. :(

Rider 11-21-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick281 (Post 105282)
Got any more pictures? It just doesn't look that bad to be totalled. :(

No other pics. Yeah I know... I was shocked it was totaled. The full exahust was bad and that was over $2500 alone not including labor. Full set of plastics and a slight rub on the swing arm make it add up fast. They priced out a new swing arm at $1200. The one that was on there had no damage at all. There was a small mark on it about 6 inches or so where the powder coating was rubbed off. No scratches or dents. You could have re-powder coated it and you would have never know. It would have looked factory condition.

Quick281 11-21-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 105290)
No other pics. Yeah I know... I was shocked it was totaled. The full exahust was bad and that was over $2500 alone not including labor. Full set of plastics and a slight rub on the swing arm make it add up fast. They priced out a new swing arm at $1200. The one that was on there had no damage at all. There was a small mark on it about 6 inches or so where the powder coating was rubbed off. No scratches or dents. You could have re-powder coated it and you would have never know. It would have looked factory condition.

That sucks man. Oh well, what ever you decide to do, just be sure your happy with it. :dthumb:

ceo012384 11-23-2008 12:58 AM

Man that thing is mint... send it over this way

Rider 05-29-2009 08:33 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Finally after 6 months I got the cell phone pics that my wife took after the accident. God damn I miss her.... The bike not the wife, stupid!

Rider 05-29-2009 08:34 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More:

AquaPython 05-29-2009 09:10 AM

damn! way to ruin a pretty betty like that!

the chi 05-29-2009 09:40 AM

DAYUM ED!!! Great camera phone fwiw...

CrazyKell 05-29-2009 09:44 AM

Holy Shnikes!

coming into this a bit late but glad you're okay. Great camera phone pics.....scary to see though.

Now going back to read what actually happened!

Rider 05-29-2009 09:52 AM

The pics don't show how steep that hill was. If you look back up close to the top of the hill you can see a faint skid mark where the rear wheel locked up. Then the tire caught, I high sided off the bike and then you can see the marks on the ground where the bike slid into the dump truck. Good thing I always wear gear AND I was only doing about 35mph at the time I locked up the rear wheel.

You can see by that last pic, there is not a single mark on me other than where the truck ran over my leg after I landed behind the rear wheels of the truck and he continued to back up.

z06boy 05-29-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyKell (Post 217756)
Holy Shnikes!

coming into this a bit late but glad you're okay. Great camera phone pics.....scary to see though.

Now going back to read what actually happened!

Same here !! This is pretty much what I was going to post.

Dayum !!

marko138 05-29-2009 11:05 AM

Thats a big dump truck.

Rider 05-29-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 217807)
Thats a big dump truck.

From personal experience, I can tell you they are heavy, especially when they are filled with landscape rock.

marko138 05-29-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 217809)
From personal experience, I can tell you they are heavy, especially when they are filled with landscape rock.

I dont doubt that.

Particle Man 05-29-2009 01:42 PM

holy fuck dude, you are lucky to still be breathing after tanglin' with that monster. :eek:

:wtf: was he doing in both lanes??!

Rider 05-29-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 217878)
holy fuck dude, you are lucky to still be breathing after tanglin' with that monster. :eek:

Backing into a driveway.

marko138 05-29-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 217878)

Taking out bikers.

rogue 05-29-2009 02:18 PM

Damnit!!!! :eek: :eek:

Glad to see and hear you limped away with minimal damage!

MissHell 05-29-2009 02:27 PM

The pics make all the more scary. :eek: Glad you were okay after that.

Rider 05-29-2009 02:54 PM

It's funny going back and looking at some of the old responses. People like CEO trying to point the finger that this was my fault. If it was my fault I would have gotten a ticket. I think it's safe to say that in reality there was no way to avoid this wreck other than to not be there at all. That, or creep over the hill at 5mph which is not realistic.

The police use a set formula to determine speed. They don't account for things like moisture from dew(which was not there when the investigation team showed up), rocks on the road, cold tires, leaves, going down hill....Those all add up. Their estimation said I was traveling 36 in a 35. In reality I COULD have been traveling more like 25 or 30.

In any case, this was a situation that could not have been avoided. It doesn't matter though. I'm ok and that is the only thing that matters. The bike was totaled.. big deal. I got my money back from the insurance company and all of my medical bills were paid by the owner of the dump trucks insurance.

Some things I learned form this experience:
- Gear is your friend
- Frame sliders might have saved my bike from the wrecking yard
- No matter your riding experience, you are at risk of going down
- Bikes can be replaced
- I miss riding more than I thought I would

Thanks to everyone who supported me though this. You guys are great.

CrazyKell 05-29-2009 03:50 PM

I'm glad it all worked out in the end. Like they say....bikes can be replaced. ;)

Do you have any lasting pain at all? I hope not!

FWIW, I don't think CEO was being a dick. I think he was just pointing it out very matter of factly.

I had an accident in my car a number of years ago. I was in second gear going up a hill in an ice storm. On the other side of the hill (which I obviously couldn't see) a car was spinning out and hitting a tree. As I crested that hill the tree was falling. Instead of losing control of my vehicle I actually controlled it enough to hit the top (more flexible branches) of the tree which caused less damage to the car.

In the eyes of the insurance and the law I was still at fault because I lost control of my vehicle. Simple as. It's not a blaming thing. :idk:

Rider 05-29-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyKell (Post 217953)
I'm glad it all worked out in the end. Like they say....bikes can be replaced. ;)

Do you have any lasting pain at all? I hope not!

FWIW, I don't think CEO was being a dick. I think he was just pointing it out very matter of factly.

I had an accident in my car a number of years ago. I was in second gear going up a hill in an ice storm. On the other side of the hill (which I obviously couldn't see) a car was spinning out and hitting a tree. As I crested that hill the tree was falling. Instead of losing control of my vehicle I actually controlled it enough to hit the top (more flexible branches) of the tree which caused less damage to the car.

In the eyes of the insurance and the law I was still at fault because I lost control of my vehicle. Simple as. It's not a blaming thing. :idk:

Yeah, I still have just a tiny bit of surface nerve damage still. It has no affect on my ability to walk or anything, there are just places that have no feeling on the top outside part of my calf.

I know CEO wasn't being a dick. He tells it like he thinks it is. He doesn't sugar coat anything and I respect him for that.

Control or no control my bike was going to hit the truck no matter what I did so "losing control" played no part of the accident. The fact that he was over a blind hill and taking up both lanes of traffic is the ONLY reason the accident occurred. Had he had a flagger at the top of the hill it would have been a different story. Technically since he was moving and he was in my lane, he should have gotten a ticket for failure to yield right of way or in the very least crossing a double yellow line causing an accident.

101lifts2 05-29-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 85954)
sorry guys... this is NOT ed's fault... it'd be VERY hard to prove he was doing 5mph over the speed limit... the gravel from the recent paving and the cold conditions added to his accident. if those conditions lower the speed limit then there should have been a construction sign lowering the speed limit...

The dude was blocking the road... unless they can tell by a skid mark or what ever, that ed was traveling at a speed greater than 35, the truck driver is at fault. but there's no way they'll be able to tell his speed down to 5mph. shit at least on my bike.... I loose 5mph in an instant by shutting the throttle. so chances are he'd be under 35mph by the time he hit the brakes.

Dammit 6 months old...edited. Fuck

I agree that its not the "truck drivers fault" for the fact that he had no control over your motorcycle and looking at the top of that hill, its only a 3% grade with at least a 100 foot view of the bottom.

Glad I don't ride in MI anymore...roads are shit.

Rider 05-29-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 217970)
A parked car in the road is a parked car in the road. Ed hit the truck , its his fault. It doesn't matter how fast he was going and its not like the truck pulled out in front and the cop prolly wouldn't give any tickets because he didn't see anything.

Are u liberal? LOL

Sorry about the crash...shit happens.

It wasn't parked the truck was moving and he moved into my lane.

Mr Lefty 05-29-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 217970)
A parked car in the road is a parked car in the road. Ed hit the truck , its his fault. It doesn't matter how fast he was going and its not like the truck pulled out in front and the cop prolly wouldn't give any tickets because he didn't see anything.

Are u liberal? LOL

Sorry about the crash...shit happens.

sorry but the truck is at fault. you can't block a road and expect that anything that hit's you is at fault. especially on a blind crest.

you telling me it'd be your fault if you came around a corner and some dudes in the middle of doing a U turn and you broad side him? BS.

what does being a liberal have anything to do with it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 217973)

Amber Lamps 05-29-2009 04:29 PM

You should call Dale Sprik!!!:lol:

njchopper87 05-29-2009 04:45 PM

Also joining in late.. glad to see you are still with us, and that is why I hate blind turns/hills what have you.

Porkchop 05-29-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 217973)

Try telling that to Andrew Trevitt.......

101lifts2 05-29-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 217973)

Dude the truck takes up both lanes even if the truck pulled up to the tree and you said he was backing up. Not going to argue over this...its not relevant other that what difference would it make if the truck was stopped making a turn into the driveway and there was a car on the other side? You still would have hit the truck. It doesn't change the outcome.

101lifts2 05-29-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 217978)
sorry but the truck is at fault. you can't block a road and expect that anything that hit's you is at fault. especially on a blind crest.

you telling me it'd be your fault if you came around a corner and some dudes in the middle of doing a U turn and you broad side him? BS.

what does being a liberal have anything to do with it?

That's different. The guy who made a U-turn entering the roadway when it wasn't clear and safe to do so. The truck was already moving backwards into the driveway, meaning it was probably in the roadway for at least 10 seconds.

I don't follow the "if you weren't doing this, then I wouldn't have done that". Example: if a cop crashes chasing you and he is 1/2 mile away, I don't think its "your fault". They may blame you, but the cop is in control of the vehicle, not you. You have -0- influence of the outcome. Same applies here. He is in 100% control of the vehicle with no influence from the truck driver.

Mr Lefty 05-29-2009 11:02 PM

sorry... but I don't care if you have 10 mins of clear road... if you block the road and it results in an accident... YOU ARE AT FAULT.

especially when you do so buy a blind crest with no flagger or sign warning traffic.

101lifts2 05-29-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkchop (Post 218100)
Try telling that to Andrew Trevitt.......

Nobody is saying anything about speed, conditions etc. It was an accident and shit happens. But what gets me is to blame the truck driver for something he has absolutely no control over just because he is moving perpendicular to the road instead of being parked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 217978)
sorry but the truck is at fault. you can't block a road and expect that anything that hit's you is at fault. especially on a blind crest....

What if a cop was blocking it? Cops fault?

JoJoYZF 05-29-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 218126)
What if a cop was blocking it? Cops fault?

Yea, going by ebbs' reasoning (which I agree with) what difference does it make if its a cop? No flagger, no warning, blocking road after a blind hill, the cops at fault.

101lifts2 05-29-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 218125)
sorry... but I don't care if you have 10 mins of clear road... if you block the road and it results in an accident... YOU ARE AT FAULT.

especially when you do so buy a blind crest with no flagger or sign warning traffic.

What if your turning right, but your car stalls on the turn and your in the middle of the road. Still your fault?

I could go on...The vehicle in front has the right of way as long as another vehicle does not enter the path of the moving vehicle within ample stopping distance. People turn in front of people everyday. If you turn left and the car stops in the road, but the car coming from the other way keeps coming (has ample time to stop) but hits the car anyway, it is the car's fault that hit the car turning left.

101lifts2 05-29-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJoYZF (Post 218129)
Yea, going by ebbs' reasoning (which I agree with) what difference does it make if its a cop? No flagger, no warning, blocking road after a blind hill, the cops at fault.

What if some car hit a deer and the traffic backed up 10 cars and was stopped and you rear ended the last car...Is it the last cars fault?

Your in control of your vehicle. When entering a hill you have to slow down enough to stop for a potential vehicle stopped on the other side. Pure and simple. I'm not saying this accident could be avoided as that is not the arguement at all, but you don't get a free pass to just hit whatever the hell you want when that vehicle in the roadway did not enter into your path and claim its not your fault. It's passing the blame.

JoJoYZF 05-29-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 218133)
What if some car hit a deer and the traffic backed up 10 cars and was stopped and you rear ended the last car...Is it the last cars fault?

Your in control of your vehicle. When entering a hill you have to slow down enough to stop for a potential vehicle stopped on the other side. Pure and simple. I'm not saysing it will be avoided, but you don't get a free pass to just hit whatever the hell you want.

And no one said you do. Youre just taking this as literal as possible now. All Im saying is that if youre following the speed limits suggested for that road and you still cant avoid the accident because someone else is doing something stupid (ie crossing double yellow, blocking road, etc) then its not your fault.

101lifts2 05-29-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJoYZF (Post 218138)
And no one said you do. Youre just taking this as literal as possible now. All Im saying is that if youre following the speed limits suggested for that road and you still cant avoid the accident because someone else is doing something stupid (ie crossing double yellow, blocking road, etc) then its not your fault.

Yeah...but you guys are saying its the truck drivers fault. I'm saying its not.

Mr Lefty 05-29-2009 11:28 PM

ok... what if the truck was pulling out of the drive way? he's impeeding traffic... and caused an accident...

yes... if the cop was stopped... he would be at fault. I don't know about MI... but in oregon... if you are broke down on the road... YOU MUST move the vehicle completely off the road... if you cannot get the vehcle completely off the road... YOU MUST PLACE FLAIRS AND/OR REFLECTIVE MARKERS 50 Yards before to warn drivers. and before you start picking this apart... the law actually says vehicles IMPEEDING TRAFFIC... ie broken down, blocking the road, or slow moving vehciles (they can get away with flashers as they have to be visible from >50yards)

so really it depends on the states...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 218142)
Yeah...but you guys are saying its the truck drivers fault. I'm saying its not.

he's backing up on a public road with out a warning to traffic... how is it not?