Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Congresswoman shot in Arizona (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=17869)

Dave 01-13-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 442008)
Dude hasn't even been tried yet

Gotta wait for those sharia courts

Trip 01-13-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 442008)
Dude hasn't even been tried yet

Stop stealing Sarah Palin's kids blood.

derf 01-13-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 442013)
Stop stealing Sarah Palin's kids blood.

No

CasterTroy 01-14-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archren (Post 441922)
Sounds akin to the Fort Hood shooter. Signs all over the place, but no one wanted to rock the boat and send the guy to mental health counseling.

But he didn’t break any “student codes” or any laws :idk:

This is where you get into a gray area of intrusion into a person’s rights.

YEAH, you and I know this dude is mental, and needs some help…..but who are you and I?

I mean, I’m all for a law that says if 2 or more people think you’re doing something stupid, one of you get to slap him till he stops. Or if 2 or more people think you deserve to have your license revoked because you drive like an asshole, then BAM it happens.
But who are the 2 or more? Avatard and Paul? God help the republicans in the world! What if it were 101 and BabyG?
This is why the system sucks, but it’s better than nothing. It at least protects the people who AREN’T going to snap and kill ½ dozen people from the know-it-all’s of the world that think THEY know what’s best for everyone.
I mean really….would you like to see Sarah Palin with ultimate control like that?

However in this instance...it failed :(

derf 01-14-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasterTroy (Post 442275)
But he didn’t break any “student codes” or any laws :idk:

This is where you get into a gray area of intrusion into a person’s rights.

YEAH, you and I know this dude is mental, and needs some help…..but who are you and I?

I mean, I’m all for a law that says if 2 or more people think you’re doing something stupid, one of you get to slap him till he stops. Or if 2 or more people think you deserve to have your license revoked because you drive like an asshole, then BAM it happens.
But who are the 2 or more? Avatard and Paul? God help the republicans in the world! What if it were 101 and BabyG?
This is why the system sucks, but it’s better than nothing. It at least protects the people who AREN’T going to snap and kill ½ dozen people from the know-it-all’s of the world that think THEY know what’s best for everyone.
I mean really….would you like to see Sarah Palin with ultimate control like that?

However in this instance...it failed :(

In the Ft Hood case the guy was a military officer and he SHOULD be above reproach. If someone had a serious question about his mental abilities and current state yes, he should have been looked at. It's called a health and welfare inspection, and it can be used anytime by the command to look at a person.

Loughtner guy is a private citizen, yes if he slipped through the cracks there really is nothing anyone could have done

Papa_Complex 01-14-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 442287)
In the Ft Hood case the guy was a military officer and he SHOULD be above reproach. If someone had a serious question about his mental abilities and current state yes, he should have been looked at. It's called a health and welfare inspection, and it can be used anytime by the command to look at a person.

Loughtner guy is a private citizen, yes if he slipped through the cracks there really is nothing anyone could have done

I suppose that this sort of thing pretty much has to happen before a private citizen can get tossed in the quilted closet, if they don't remand voluntarily. We just had a homeless guy steal a snow plow in Toronto, then go on a rampage smashing up vehicles, before they finally caught him. He killed a cop who was trying to stop him, along the way.

Hydrant 01-14-2011 10:20 AM

They were saying on the radio that friends, teachers, counslers, and psychologists all said that he was mentally unstable. It was mentioned then how come none of the psychologists ever said anything to any authority and it pretty much came down to patient - doctor priviledges.

goof2 01-14-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrant (Post 442305)
They were saying on the radio that friends, teachers, counslers, and psychologists all said that he was mentally unstable. It was mentioned then how come none of the psychologists ever said anything to any authority and it pretty much came down to patient - doctor priviledges.

Yeah, I talked about that a little in an earlier post referencing this guy and the Virginia Tech shooter. Creating laws that attempt to restrict gun ownership by the mentally unstable is nice, but ultimately useless. Even if Laughner had been diagnosed as such, medical privacy laws most likely would have prevented the store that sold him the gun from knowing anything about it anyway. The way it works now a mentally unstable person effectively has to decide on their own that they shouldn't have a gun because there is very little that can be done to prevent them from buying one.

Papa_Complex 01-14-2011 11:16 AM

Actually there is another possibility, but it's almost equally remote. If a person reveals to a medical professional that he's going to commit a crime, then patient confidentiality is waived.

For example: Mr. Bundy tells his psychiatrist that he's going to kill his neighbour, then store his meat in the freezer at his house. Said psychiatrist is obliged to inform the authorities.

askmrjesus 01-14-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 442325)
Actually there is another possibility, but it's almost equally remote. If a person reveals to a medical professional that he's going to commit a crime, then patient confidentiality is waived.

For example: Mr. Bundy tells his psychiatrist that he's going to kill his neighbour, then store his meat in the freezer at his house. Said psychiatrist is obliged to inform the authorities.

I think that may already be the case.

Actually, I know it is, but it doesn't work, if said nutbag has no doctor.

JC