Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Events (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Official rally pics thread (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=8044)

CrazyKell 05-24-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 215714)
Come on down Kell, there's lots more roads here that are "Gap-like" A few I like better cause they are never crowded are unknown

US129 was actually one of my least favourite roads. There were others I liked waaaay more.

Amorok 05-27-2009 08:32 PM

I liked all of them. All over.

Trip 05-27-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyKell (Post 215719)
US129 was actually one of my least favourite roads. There were others I liked waaaay more.

It is overrated for most riders, it's just got too much publicity so people think that's where they need to go when they probably should be elsewhere. What it is awesome for is the condition of the pavement, the maintenance of it by the locals, the engineering of the corners, the lack of side roads, which pretty much make it a track with lots of traffic going both ways. If you want more of a fun ride and scenery, there are definitely better roads. The gap is one of a kind though around these parts for speed. It's also one of the best people watching places I ever been to.

CrazyKell 05-27-2009 08:46 PM

OH I liked riding it but I liked a couple of other roads way more.

Cherohala (until my friend wrecked) and my personal fave: Foothills Parkway!

derf 05-27-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 217022)
It is overrated for most riders, it's just got too much publicity so people think that's where they need to go when they probably should be elsewhere. What it is awesome for is the condition of the pavement, the maintenance of it by the locals, the engineering of the corners, the lack of side roads, which pretty much make it a track with lots of traffic going both ways. If you want more of a fun ride and scenery, there are definitely better roads. The gap is one of a kind though around these parts for speed. It's also one of the best people watching places I ever been to.

Add to that if you ride to the end you know that there are no police between you and the NC border. That is the most awesomest part.

Phenix_Rider 05-27-2009 09:27 PM

129 was the nicest, tightest road I was on down there. After coming back here, I can see that my skill has improved from riding it. Even more than a trackday. Definitely overhyped, but we missed most of the traffic so it wasn't as crowded as I always hear. Unfortunately, the mowing screwed up a lot of other roads around.

The Skyway was fun, but too fast really. More of an effort to slow down and watch the scenery than absolute focus on riding. A lot of the roads around Suches would have been incredible if they had better pavement. The one- Blood Mountain? three lane in places- gave me a false sense of security just because it had good surface. I got in over my head and had to force myself to slow down. I thought I was going to crack my head a few places on 60 with all the rock hanging almost out to the white line.

Trip 05-27-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyKell (Post 217023)
OH I liked riding it but I liked a couple of other roads way more.

Cherohala (until my friend wrecked) and my personal fave: Foothills Parkway!

Ok you are banned from this area of the country. Foothills Parkway is absolutely one of the worst roads here. Blasphemy!!!

Cherrycola is too easy for me to lose my job, foothills too. You can get federal tickets there, which are easily over $250, which are ones I have report or I will lose security clearance.

Riceaholic 05-28-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 217075)
Ok you are banned from this area of the country. Foothills Parkway is absolutely one of the worst roads here. Blasphemy!!!

Cherrycola is too easy for me to lose my job, foothills too. You can get federal tickets there, which are easily over $250, which are ones I have report or I will lose security clearance.

Foothills is fun at well over 100...it's over faster too which means you can get to better roads...:lol:

was92v 05-28-2009 07:20 AM

129 through the Gap is the best road I have ever ridden.. when there is no one on it.
But since the days of riding it for hours without ever seeing another bike, car or cop are history I don't have a fave anymore. The Foothills is a good road, but like the lake ride, it was always a great place to win a Govt issued Performance award or a visit to jail. Once you got past the 1st hard left going up, you used to be pretty safe from official observation. "sigh"

CrazyKell 05-28-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 217075)

:whatwhat: I loved Foothills. I was able to focus a bit more on things I wanted to without worrying about other bikes.....oh and I was able to really rip. Luckily (or not...) I didn't even think about tickets. :tremble: Good to know though. ;)

Oh and Cherrycola is fun but after having a friend wreck at Mile Marker 5 and see him lying face down (thought he was dead) it's kind of taken some of the shine off that road for me.

One airlift to Knoxville, one broken clavicle, broken shoulder, 5 broken ribs, and a broken tibia......complete with an hour long roadside wait up from the site a bit waiting to hear if he was even alive. Yeah some of the shine of that road has rubbed off for me. :(