Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dogs - Raw Diet Update (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=7592)

Uma 05-22-2011 09:54 PM

How about post feeding clean up? Obviously the spot that Brinks drops a piece of raw chicken on will have to be cleaned, but what about the dogs? Do you wash them up after as well, or just let them take care of it. I'm not too fond of the thought of him tracking chicken bits all over the house. :lol:

Gas Man 05-22-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 461396)
A freezer is almost a must for raw diet...otherwise you'd spend a ridiculous amount of time getting food ready. But with the freezer its a snap.

Do you think a freezer or a basic fridge/freezer is best?

Remembering I'm going to be going thru a 1/2 a chicken a day...

I'm looking at buying a used fridge/freezer this week.

Also, going to stop by a couple butcher shops and sams club to price out meat.

azoomm 05-23-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uma (Post 471755)
How about post feeding clean up? Obviously the spot that Brinks drops a piece of raw chicken on will have to be cleaned, but what about the dogs? Do you wash them up after as well, or just let them take care of it. I'm not too fond of the thought of him tracking chicken bits all over the house. :lol:

Sadie eats in one place, it's a tile floor and gets cleaned after she eats. The chicken gets dropped on the floor by her when she eats, it just happens. That doesn't mean she won't try and sneak it away.... :lol:

Kaneman 05-23-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uma (Post 471755)
How about post feeding clean up?

I use a Swiffer Wet with antibacterial stuff, takes less than a minute to clean up.....or I feed them outside when its nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 471765)
Do you think a freezer or a basic fridge/freezer is best?

Definitely a freezer. You can transfer a daily meal to your fridge to dethaw it, but to avoid going to the store all the time it pays to have a freezer.

Gas Man 05-23-2011 08:56 PM

What about cleaning of the dog? Has it on his paws and such... do you clean those?

And really? Just a freezer? We were thinking it would be better to thaw the chicken slower in the fridge.

azoomm 05-23-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 471989)
What about cleaning of the dog? Has it on his paws and such... do you clean those?

And really? Just a freezer? We were thinking it would be better to thaw the chicken slower in the fridge.

My dog always behaves like her paws taste like peanut butter after breakfast. Probably because there is peanut butter in her mouth :lol:

I divide her food into single meal portions in cheap Ziploc plastic containers. Those go into the freezer. I have two in the fridge at all times, one thawing and one thawed for dinner. I rotate them. The bulk of them are in the freezer. At one time, we used freezer bags. But, the plastic containers are reuseable.

Gas Man 05-23-2011 09:32 PM

Yeah but I be going thru a bunch of food...

azoomm 05-23-2011 09:40 PM

Yeah, bigger freezer...

Gas Man 05-23-2011 10:26 PM

I'm worried abt thaw time. Whole chickens aren't gg to thaw fast. And our fridge is always packed. 2 gals of milk, 2 oj gals, beer, soda, lots of left overs. No room for 2 or 3 whole chickens is various states of frozen/thaw.

Kaneman 05-24-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 472028)
I'm worried abt thaw time. Whole chickens aren't gg to thaw fast. And our fridge is always packed. 2 gals of milk, 2 oj gals, beer, soda, lots of left overs. No room for 2 or 3 whole chickens is various states of frozen/thaw.

I fill the sink with hot water and soak it to dethaw...