Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gun Thread (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=15842)

nhgunnut 03-01-2011 08:16 AM

Just a heads up on Reloading. Count on a steep learning curve for the semi auto ammo. (especially when compared to rimmed revolver ammo).
You probably already know it but it is worth saying start with known mild loads and build up to a round stable round.
Watch pay particular attention to signs of pressure build up (real important in Rifles)
Have fun and from past experience reloading can get to be a very deep money hole very very quickly. It is not unlike riding a motorcycle to save money!

Lamnidae 03-01-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 453314)
I've considered reloading as well now that I own a 9mm, .45, and an AR.

I've come to the realization that you won't save money reloading. You'll just shoot more. :lol

I'm still researching it. Pretty steep price of admission to start, but hey, it won't take very many boxes of .45 rounds to pay for it. LOL

Yeah I'm more or less looking for it for the .50BMG's that I'm looking at getting into.....

that crap's expensive, yo.

Lamnidae 03-01-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 453326)
Just a heads up on Reloading. Count on a steep learning curve for the semi auto ammo. (especially when compared to rimmed revolver ammo).
You probably already know it but it is worth saying start with known mild loads and build up to a round stable round.
Watch pay particular attention to signs of pressure build up (real important in Rifles)
Have fun and from past experience reloading can get to be a very deep money hole very very quickly. It is not unlike riding a motorcycle to save money!

ty for the headsup on that.

i was going to start searching for used presses first.... why buy new if someone's getting out of it.

wildchild 03-01-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 453326)

yeah I noticed that. everyone here was saying I should reload to save coin. started looking into it and yeah no great savings there at all. I think it would end up costing more to reload then just buying cheap factory load practice ammo.
if i was always shooting top ammo it might save a few pennies, but I shoot cheap factory loads (winchester etc) for target parctice.

nhgunnut 03-01-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildchild (Post 453348)
yeah I noticed that. everyone here was saying I should reload to save coin. started looking into it and yeah no great savings there at all. I think it would end up costing more to reload then just buying cheap factory load practice ammo.
if i was always shooting top ammo it might save a few pennies, but I shoot cheap factory loads (winchester etc) for target parctice.

Me too unless I am shooting in competitions (300 and 600 yards) I stay with commercial stuff.

Corey 03-01-2011 07:47 PM

After a month of waiting for it to come in, finally got my new carry piece. On feel alone, the Gen 4 G27 fits my hand far better than the Gen 3. Can't wait to shoot it.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W...-24-52-653.jpg

Corey 03-01-2011 08:06 PM

Slightly cleaner pic.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_W...2-546-orig.jpg

racedoll 03-01-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 453314)
I've come to the realization that you won't save money reloading. You'll just shoot more. :lol

Agreed. I can't keep up re-loading with the amount that I'd like to shoot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblyopic (Post 453346)
i was going to start searching for used presses first.... why buy new if someone's getting out of it.

I saw one at the gun show this weekend. Not sure how much they were asking but you could always go there and start looking.

Fortunate for me Dad had a couple presses he could spare so my start up costs were minimal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildchild (Post 453348)

I did the math for myself since I had minimal start up cost (thanks to Dad). To re-load 380, I'd save about half. It is less than that now that the cost came down but I still do it for the enjoyment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 453429)
Me too unless I am shooting in competitions (300 and 600 yards) I stay with commercial stuff.

I am quite a bit more accurate with my reloads versus factory. :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 453491)
After a month of waiting for it to come in, finally got my new carry piece. On feel alone, the Gen 4 G27 fits my hand far better than the Gen 3. Can't wait to shoot it.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W...-24-52-653.jpg

Very nice. I'm glad you found something you like.

Lamnidae 03-02-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 453491)

Looks nice, Corey, I hope you're happy with your new addition.

I personally don't like Glocks, they don't "fit" right.

Lamnidae 03-02-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 453507)
Agreed. I can't keep up re-loading with the amount that I'd like to shoot.

I saw one at the gun show this weekend. Not sure how much they were asking but you could always go there and start looking.

Fortunate for me Dad had a couple presses he could spare so my start up costs were minimal.

I did the math for myself since I had minimal start up cost (thanks to Dad). To re-load 380, I'd save about half. It is less than that now that the cost came down but I still do it for the enjoyment.

I am quite a bit more accurate with my reloads versus factory. :shrug:

Yeah when I get back and move back to TX (Looking at ending up in San Antonio) I'll probably setup a reloading bench in the garage or get a small workshop going, then I'll start hunting for the press/gear at local gunshows and other avenues of cheaper "well loved" gear.

And yes, the more expensive the rounds you use, the more you'll save, and then you do have the benefit of putting in the powder and bullets you prefer, which hopefully will give you that "match ammo" feeling at the line like you've got going for you there RD :)

Care to share the details of your reloading gear?