Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dogs - Raw Diet Update (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=7592)

OneSickPsycho 11-12-2011 09:42 AM

Update

Dogs are still going strong... cats are off the raw.

A few weeks ago Mr. Bear stopped eating... after a few days we noticed he was yellowing... Jaundice probably isn't a good thing in cats.

Nearly $4k and 3 days in the hospital later, Mr. Bear is being treated for a nasty bladder infection and hepatic lipidosis - fatty liver disease. He also had an inflamed bile duct/gall bladder, but all seems better now. He's on a feeding tube and a plethora of drugs... one of which I cannot administer for the life of me. He's actually been eating on his own for several days now and is pretty much non-yellow... acting like an asshole, which is a good sign.

Not sure if the raw food had anything to do with it or not, but through more research I found out that cats are WAY more sensitive than dogs... raw food must be given very quickly after the kill because cats are very sensitive to various bacterias... even meat that's been dead/left out for a couple of hours can make a kitty sick. Dogs on the other hand can eat rancid meat and a pile of cat shit (ask me how I know) and not be bothered one bit.

Kaneman 11-12-2011 10:01 AM

Most. Expensive. Cat. Ever.

OneSickPsycho 11-12-2011 11:30 AM

Yeah, this isn't the first time either... He's gotten stitches and had some other ailments throughout his 9 years...

azoomm 11-12-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 498661)
Most. Expensive. Cat. Ever.

Right??!?

Maybe you are a better pet owner than I. No way I would spend that much on a cat. Or a dog for that matter.

This is still working for Sadie. The fact that she is still alive and acting like a dog half her age is treatment to raw.

Particle Man 11-12-2011 11:55 AM

My cat will eat nothing but one brand of cat food. And squirrels.

Gas Man 11-12-2011 09:51 PM

I've been down the blatter infection road with cats... they are on a high dollar purina urinary track food and will stay on that. It's served us well for like 3-4 years now.

OneSickPsycho 11-13-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 498674)
Right??!?

Maybe you are a better pet owner than I. No way I would spend that much on a cat. Or a dog for that matter.

This is still working for Sadie. The fact that she is still alive and acting like a dog half her age is treatment to raw.

Apparently money means more to you, than it does to me...

OneSickPsycho 11-13-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 498714)
I've been down the blatter infection road with cats... they are on a high dollar purina urinary track food and will stay on that. It's served us well for like 3-4 years now.

Both cats were on that before switching to raw... Mr. Bear had stones 6-7 years ago... I find that it's only a couple of bucks more than the regular food for the big bag.

azoomm 11-13-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 498728)
Apparently money means more to you, than it does to me...

No, quality of life means more to me. I had many a pet that went through some major things, only to be reliant on humans for drugs.

I won't do that again.

That, and we are the only society on the planet that puts such a value on an animal's life. Many other places, your treasured pet would be dinner.

Don't talk to me about ”priorities.”

Trip 11-13-2011 11:43 AM

4k for a cat, yeah fuck that noise