Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Epic Helmet Law Protestor is Epic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=19610)

derf 07-04-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSGregman (Post 479835)
Not sure how that is possible given that 75% of the stopping power of a modern modern cycle is generated by the front brakes. My 109-R laughs at the rear brake. I seldom use it. :idk:

All I'm saying is that someone who only has ever used the rear brake is gonna be more profficient at using the rear brake only than you or I will be at using the rear brake only.

Trip 07-05-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 479873)
All I'm saying is that someone who only has ever used the rear brake is gonna be more profficient at using the rear brake only than you or I will be.

I disagree. Someone who uses both will be the most proficient. That person will learn to carry much greater speed into a corner and be able to use that brake at that greater speed, this will drastically increase the difficulty of properly applying that rear brake.

A rear braker is an easy mark on a race track. You can do two things to them. You can simply just outbrake them because they have to start their braking way before you or you can force them to carry more speed than they can lose if they try to brake with you and watch them run wide as you slip by...

A person that knows both front and rear braking will be more likely to be highly adept to backing it in as well.

101lifts2 07-05-2011 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallywacker (Post 479840)
I can say I've never used the rear brake on a street going motorcycle.

Apparently you have never ridden a Harley. You NEED the rear brakes since the the front suck so bad. lol

My 2009 ZX6r front brakes stop on a dime with 2 fingers, though I do use the rear brakes on the street, but not on the track.

101lifts2 07-05-2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 479878)
....A rear braker is an easy mark on a race track. You can do two things to them. You can simply just outbrake them because they have to start their braking way before you or you can force them to carry more speed than they can lose if they try to brake with you and watch them run wide as you slip by...

A person that knows both front and rear braking will be more likely to be highly adept to backing it in as well.

Who in the ever fuck uses only the rear brake on the track? Or am I reading this wrong?

derf 07-05-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 479878)
I disagree. Someone who uses both will be the most proficient. That person will learn to carry much greater speed into a corner and be able to use that brake at that greater speed, this will drastically increase the difficulty of properly applying that rear brake.

A rear braker is an easy mark on a race track. You can do two things to them. You can simply just outbrake them because they have to start their braking way before you or you can force them to carry more speed than they can lose if they try to brake with you and watch them run wide as you slip by...

I agree that using both brakes is the best, most of your braking power is in the front wheel, O amended my statement to be more clear.

Trip 07-05-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 479896)
Who in the ever fuck uses only the rear brake on the track? Or am I reading this wrong?

noobs and a certain mod use to do it to, but I think they went to front brake use finally.

azoomm 07-05-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 479873)
All I'm saying is that someone who only has ever used the rear brake is gonna be more profficient at using the rear brake only than you or I will be at using the rear brake only.

And, I'm saying, they aren't proficient at handling a motorcycle. From the people I've seen ride that way, their riding abilities have been stunted because they are doing it wrong. The rear brake just isn't strong enough to stop efficiently. It takes too much planning, it's like doing complicated math while riding.

askmrjesus 07-05-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 479859)
I back shit in all the time. There's a time and place for the back brake. Most people would do well to stay far the fuck away from it, though.

Must.........stop............laughing..........

But I can't. :lol:

JC

askmrjesus 07-05-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple (Post 479820)

The helmets law is for the the "ones" that don't have any common sense.

It's unfortunate, but sometimes common sense has to be forced onto people.

Take some 16 year old kid, give him a GSXR, and let him make the helmet decision?

You might as well just take him out back and shoot him.

JC

HurricaneHeather 07-05-2011 11:34 AM

Here's my deal, if you are riding without a helmet and get hit by a car and die then car driver becomes a killer instead of just an ass hat who hit a biker and injured him/her. So does that mean that car driver is responsible for your life when you could have (possibly) prevented your own death by wearing a helmet? That's where it gets messy IMO. Heather has had a lot of time to think about whose fault each and every aspect of the crash is when a car hits a bike. Waaay too much time.