Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   HOA vs 90y.o. medal of honor vet over flag (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=12017)

Rider 12-04-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 301647)
Give me a break man. The guy fought in three wars and won the goddamn Medal of Honor. He's got more courage in one 90 year old shriveled testicle than 98% of the population. When someone goes to that length to fight for America you let him have a flagpole to display the American flag the right way.

Sure, we get it, the HOA is in the legal right. But they fail at basic decency and common sense.

So you'd be ok if he wanted to put a flag pole in YOUR yard? That's mighty nice of you.

Papa_Complex 12-04-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 301647)
Give me a break man. The guy fought in three wars and won the goddamn Medal of Honor. He's got more courage in one 90 year old shriveled testicle than 98% of the population. When someone goes to that length to fight for America you let him have a flagpole to display the American flag the right way.

Sure, we get it, the HOA is in the legal right. But they fail at basic decency and common sense.

There are several "right ways" to display a flag. They offered one of them, that is used on consular buildings among other things, that didn't require him breaching his contract with the HOA.

Apoc 12-04-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 301651)
So you'd be ok if he wanted to put a flag pole in YOUR yard? That's mighty nice of you.

Someone wants to put a flagpole in my yard to hang a Canadian flag from? I'll dig the hole and cement it in place. Especially for a 90 year old war vet.

Rider 12-04-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 301653)
Someone wants to put a flagpole in my yard to hang a Canadian flag from? I'll dig the hole and cement it in place. Especially for a 90 year old war vet.

Sure you would, because if you really wanted a Canadian flag in your yard you'd already have it there and you wouldn't need a 90 yo war vet to ask you to do it.

Apoc 12-04-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 301655)
Sure you would, because if you really wanted a Canadian flag in your yard you'd already have it there and you wouldn't need a 90 yo war vet to ask you to do it.

Theres one there already ;)

And it wont be taken down for anyone, not while I still breathe.

Rider 12-04-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 301657)
Theres one there already ;)

And it wont be taken down for anyone, not while I still breathe.

Fantastic, good for you , but you are missing the point. You can't expect for people to let this guy put a flag pole anywhere he wants. I display the US flag and am proud of it . The point is, I can't expect my neighbors to allow me to hoist a flagpole anywhere in the neighborhood I want on land that does not belong to me. Now I may not have a medal of honor but I have fought in a war but does that give me a right to put a flagpole anywhere I please?

Apoc 12-04-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 301661)
Fantastic, good for you , but you are missing the point. You can't expect for people to let this guy put a flag pole anywhere he wants. I display the US flag and am proud of it . The point is, I can't expect my neighbors to allow me to hoist a flagpole anywhere in the neighborhood I want on land that does not belong to me. Now I may not have a medal of honor but I have fought in a war but does that give me a right to put a flagpole anywhere I please?

I understand that, and I agree with you.

but you know what? The guy is over 90, he probably REALLY does not understand that. Leave him alone. Request that that the flagpole be taken down after his passing, and leave it at that. Im sure his family would be fine with that.

Its a flagpole, its not unsightly.

Rider 12-04-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 301663)
I understand that, and I agree with you.

but you know what? The guy is over 90, he probably REALLY does not understand that. Leave him alone. Request that that the flagpole be taken down after his passing, and leave it at that. Im sure his family would be fine with that.

Its a flagpole, its not unsightly.

True but not everyone is as understanding as you and I on that subject.

Apoc 12-04-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 301666)
True but not everyone is as understanding as you and I on that subject.

Your right.

But maybe those people against it should sit down and realize that, if not for brave men like him, they might have flagpoles with German flags in their yard, and no say about anything, whatsoever, because if they tried to say something, they'd be shot.

Kaneman 12-04-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 301651)

If I lived in a condo and a 90 year old veteran of three wars who earned the Medal of Honor wanted to put a flagpole up in the yard in front of the condos then I would help him dig the hole.