Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Epic Helmet Law Protestor is Epic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=19610)

The freedom to move about the country actually is a right, IIRC.

Of course, it would require a very big lawsuit, and the highest court in the land, in order to settle exactly what that means, precisely, and define how that affects motor travel, in particular...but one might argue that this IS the travel method of today, and that any restrictions on that might be, in fact, just cause for such a nice legal battle in the highest court.

In addition, the highest court is now stacked with conservatives, who, while they may posture, and talk about big government, and wave flags, and shit, are in fact quietly chipping away at the Constitution, and personal rights as if on a mission to destroy all...so how that battle might play out, is anyone's guess.

Particle Man 07-06-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 480265)
The freedom to move about the country actually is a right, IIRC.

Of course, it would require a very big lawsuit, and the highest court in the land, in order to settle exactly what that means, precisely, and define how that affects motor travel, in particular...but one might argue that this IS the travel method of today, and that any restrictions on that might be, in fact, just cause for such a nice legal battle in the highest court.

In addition, the highest court is now stacked with conservatives, who, while they may posture, and talk about big government, and wave flags, and shit, are in fact quietly chipping away at the Constitution, and personal rights as if on a mission to destroy all...so how that battle might play out, is anyone's guess.

True on all counts. You'd have to do away with state licensing requirements and such (yeah, right) in order to really make any changes stick though.

My point was, however, that in the current environment, operation of a motor vehicle on public highways is not a right.

askmrjesus 07-06-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 480266)

My point was, however, that in the current environment, operation of a motor vehicle on public highways is not a right.

Exactly.

You may walk, (or ride a horse, I suppose, as long as you're not drunk) across state lines with no restrictions.

Making the operation of motor vehicles on public streets, a "right", would be a spectacularly bad idea.

People with drivers licenses can barely drive without fucking it up. As a motorcyclist, the last thing I need is a libertarian free for all on the highways.

JC

Kaneman 07-07-2011 08:58 AM

Sad to see people still throwing the "Driving is a privilege not a right" bullshit out there, but other than that this is a great thread.

askmrjesus 07-07-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 480313)
Sad to see people still throwing the "Driving is a privilege not a right" bullshit out there, but other than that this is a great thread.

It's semantics.

Anyone who isn't blind or retarded can drive, until "they", prove otherwise.

You really want people with multiple DUI's, or zero training, sharing the road with you?

JC

Kaneman 07-07-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 480317)
It's semantics.

Anyone who isn't blind or retarded can drive, until "they", prove otherwise.

You really want people with multiple DUI's, or zero training, sharing the road with you?

JC

Do you really want murders or rapists using the same ATMs and shopping malls as you? No? Oh, well, I guess not living in prison is a privilege, not a right.

See what I'm saying? Rights can be taken away under the correct circumstances too.

Particle Man 07-07-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 480313)

Sorry to disappoint, but for the moment, it's true.

askmrjesus 07-07-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 480318)
Do you really want murders or rapists using the same ATMs and shopping malls as you? No? Oh, well, I guess not living in prison is a privilege, not a right.

See what I'm saying? Rights can be taken away under the correct circumstances too.

Actually, no, I don't.

"A privilege is a right or advantage gained by birth, social position, effort, or concession."

Key word here is effort. You make the effort to pass the driving test, you get a license. Seems fair enough.

When "jackbooted thugs" start kicking in doors and revoking licenses without due process, I'll start worrying about the distinction between a right and a privilege.

JC

Particle Man 07-07-2011 10:21 AM

Do people still wear jackboots/

askmrjesus 07-07-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 480336)
Do people still wear jackboots/

I don't know.

Ask Homeslice.

JC