Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rc51 or 'busa (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=10072)

RACER X 08-21-2009 09:05 AM

Rc51 or 'busa

so kinda in the market for a "new" bike

my riding has changed over the yrs and nowdays all i do is commute, 20mi R/T too and from work.

lookin at either spending $5-6k for an '02+ RC51, hopefully get it w/ some nice bits on it.

or spending $8-9k on a '08 busa (blue/gold)

Do i need either bikes potential, NAW

always loved the RC, that rumbles it makes...........BOING! like the looks and honda quality.

busa solid bike, nice and smooth like butta for my short commute, which is mostly an open frwy, at this time.

i might get in a few trackdays over the next yrs.......maybe
doubt i'll get to do any grand tours, like my trip to CA way back

:badger:

opinions........

z06boy 08-21-2009 09:11 AM

Both are good...just different. Tough choice...well not for some I'm sure. The Busa would be better in the long run for the commute most likely BUT man...I really like the RC51. :lol:

tommymac 08-21-2009 09:13 AM

Depends on the ergos on the RC I have heard they can be kinda tough for some but eds on the shorter side so that may help. I am partial to the twins so I woudl say the RC. Plus it would be abtter track tool than a busa to muscle around a track.

Tom

marko138 08-21-2009 09:15 AM

Strictly commuting the Busa is gonna be more comfortable....but oh the appeal of the RC51. What a machine. I'd scoop that up without question.

RACER X 08-21-2009 09:17 AM

if i got an RC i'd prolly end up putting Heli bars or some kinda risers if it was 20min. unbearable.......

mmmm

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/hon...3-rc-sale.html

pauldun170 08-21-2009 09:18 AM

That is a tough one...

I'd lean toward...wait change that I would choose the...

fuck

Get the RC-51 while there are still running examples\ non basket cases available.
Busa is still a great bike...

marko138 08-21-2009 09:23 AM

On a side note...I love the black RC's.

Such as:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...RC51-small.jpg

HokieDNA01 08-21-2009 09:24 AM

My boyfriend has had both an RC-51 and a VFR (your current bike) and I would think you VFR would be MUCH better commuter than the RC. He used to say the RC HATED to run slow like you would have to in traffic. And it was not the most comfortable bike even with his corbin. Definitely a cool guteral sounding ride but I would opt for the busa as it is more comfortable.

jtemple 08-21-2009 09:25 AM

The RC-51 is just a damn cool bike.

For my use, I'd get a Hayabusa. It's a better fit for the roads we have here.

smileyman 08-21-2009 09:27 AM

Practical do it all bike choice would be the Busa. Any significant annual mileage would be tons better.

For joy riding andtrack days the RC51 is dreamy!

MikeSP1 08-21-2009 10:19 AM

My advice would be to go with the RC, but then again I'm biased. I have an RC in the garage and about 50% of an RC worth of parts in the spare room.

For a 20min round trip commute, you're not gonna have a probably with the RCs stock ergos. Once (if) you start with the mods, those ergos could turn against you i.e. raised rear height/lowered front. But if the bike you pick up is stock, then your biggest obstacle is gonna be the seat. But like I said, if it's only 10 min to work, you're not gonna notice it. However, be warned, the RC has side mount radiators and it does not like going slow, first the mufflers (which are under your ass) will get hot, then the frame (the rear cylinder is between your knees right under the fuel tank and pointed at your testicles) and finally the frame and radiators. If your commute even has close to moderate traffic then she'll start to get hot, but she'll cool right down once you get into more open air. You're gonna need to slip the clutch until at least 15 mph (I've gotta slip mine 'til about 20-25). Aside from all that, the RC is a blast. I love it and will never badmouth it (wasn't badmouthing, just stating truth).

I can't speak for the Suzuki, but the RC gives me a chubby.

What do you want more two big jugs or 4 small(ish) ones?:boobs:

marko138 08-21-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSP1 (Post 256520)
My advice would be to go with the RC, but then again I'm biased. I have an RC in the garage and about 50% of an RC worth of parts in the spare room.

For a 20min round trip commute, you're not gonna have a probably with the RCs stock ergos. Once (if) you start with the mods, those ergos could turn against you i.e. raised rear height/lowered front. But if the bike you pick up is stock, then your biggest obstacle is gonna be the seat. But like I said, if it's only 10 min to work, you're not gonna notice it. However, be warned, the RC has side mount radiators and it does not like going slow, first the mufflers (which are under your ass) will get hot, then the frame (the rear cylinder is between your knees right under the fuel tank and pointed at your testicles) and finally the frame and radiators. If your commute even has close to moderate traffic then she'll start to get hot, but she'll cool right down once you get into more open air. You're gonna need to slip the clutch until at least 15 mph (I've gotta slip mine 'til about 20-25). Aside from all that, the RC is a blast. I love it and will never badmouth it (wasn't badmouthing, just stating truth).

I can't speak for the Suzuki, but the RC gives me a chubby.

What do you want more two big jugs or 4 small(ish) ones?:boobs:

That paragraph describing the heat sounds exactly like the heat of a Buell.

goof2 08-21-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 256484)
Get the RC-51 while there are still running examples\ non basket cases available.
Busa is still a great bike...

I agree. Clean RC-51s will only become more difficult to find. Get the RC now while you still can. You can always get a Busa later and there are plenty of them.

MikeSP1 08-21-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 256522)
That paragraph describing the heat sounds exactly like the heat of a Buell.

The only real difference between the heat of the XB and the RC is that the Buell has a belly exhaust and the RC has the twin tailpipes. Other than that, the heat is VERY similar.

marko138 08-21-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSP1 (Post 256524)
The only real difference between the heat of the XB and the RC is that the Buell has a belly exhaust and the RC has the twin tailpipes. Other than that, the heat is VERY similar.

Right. But damn that rear cylinder starts ROASTING my fucking nuts in slow traffic. Not to mention the heat spewing from the headers on the right side.

MikeSP1 08-21-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 256525)
Right. But damn that rear cylinder starts ROASTING my fucking nuts in slow traffic. Not to mention the heat spewing from the headers on the right side.

I know your pain dude, I was riding with Rae once trying to help a teach a new rider. Long story short I had to pull back a little bit to stand up on the pegs and let my balls cool down some. Rae almost burned her hand on just the frame rail. I'm just glad there wasn't a cop around so I didn't have explain to boiling testicles. And don't get me started on slow ass cagers in traffic hogging all the damn air...

Kerry_129 08-21-2009 11:52 AM

RC as a commuter? :?:

I've owned both. Still have the VFR, probably always will - put ~$4k in goodies to get the RC 'right' (mostly suspension) & ~15k miles (incl. several trackdays) on it & then moved on. The RC is a very sweet, very unique, downright visceral ride. But happy tooling around town at low speeds it is NOT.

- The motor likes to be ON or OFF throttle, and tends to stumble & lurch at slight throttle opening.
- The side mounted radiators guarantee that it gets HOT, FAST at low speed, and as Mike & Marko pointed out, a lot of that heat goes straight to your nuts. It was bad in NC summer heat - I imagine Houston would be much worse.
- The ergos aren't bad for a race replica, but for just cruising around/commuting, it's a torture-rack compared to the VFR or a more 'street oriented' bike.
- The turning radius is pretty bad, largely due to the big bulbous tank which tends to make you contort your arms to get it to full-lock.
- Fuel mileage/range sucks. I averaged 32~35mpg on the street & as low as ~20mpg track.

In summary: as a weekend-warrior/track-duty bike - hell yeah, but as a commuter bike to replace a Viffer - put down the crack pipe! :lol

But if you do get one, throw on a set of Sato low-mounts and then prepare to enjoy all the WTF?!? looks from the Harley guys! :rockwoot:

marko138 08-21-2009 11:55 AM

I saw/heard one rumble through State College this week. Didn't see what kind of cans in had, but man did it sound good.

RACER X 08-21-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry_129 (Post 256561)
RC as a commuter? :?:

I've owned both. Still have the VFR, probably always will - put ~$4k in goodies to get the RC 'right' (mostly suspension) & ~15k miles (incl. several trackdays) on it & then moved on. The RC is a very sweet, very unique, downright visceral ride. But happy tooling around town at low speeds it is NOT.

- The motor likes to be ON or OFF throttle, and tends to stumble & lurch at slight throttle opening.
- The side mounted radiators guarantee that it gets HOT, FAST at low speed, and as Mike & Marko pointed out, a lot of that heat goes straight to your nuts. It was bad in NC summer heat - I imagine Houston would be much worse.
- The ergos aren't bad for a race replica, but for just cruising around/commuting, it's a torture-rack compared to the VFR or a more 'street oriented' bike.
- The turning radius is pretty bad, largely due to the big bulbous tank which tends to make you contort your arms to get it to full-lock.
- Fuel mileage/range sucks. I averaged 32~35mpg on the street & as low as ~20mpg track.

In summary: as a weekend-warrior/track-duty bike - hell yeah, but as a commuter bike to replace a Viffer - put down the crack pipe! :lol

But if you do get one, throw on a set of Sato low-mounts and then prepare to enjoy all the WTF?!? looks from the Harley guys! :rockwoot:

it won't replace the viffer, just be alongside........:)

most of my commute is open hwy w/ very little traffic at this time.

neebelung 08-21-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06boy (Post 256477)
Both are good...just different. Tough choice...well not for some I'm sure. The Busa would be better in the long run for the commute most likely BUT man...I really like the RC51. :lol:

I agree 100%. Is comfort important to you? If so, go for the Busa. The RC51 is just a flippin fantastic bike, but it's NOT comfortable, and it runs wayyyy hot. The Busa is a Cadillac on 2 wheels. :lol:

RACER X 08-21-2009 12:02 PM

as long as it's not ducati incomfy, i can deal w/ it. + i can always add heli bars or similar risers.

main reason i want the RC is , to be diff. you don't see many RC or VFR's.........

MikeSP1 08-21-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 256568)
as long as it's not ducati incomfy, i can deal w/ it. + i can always add heli bars or similar risers.

main reason i want the RC is , to be diff. you don't see many RC or VFR's.........

Heli's are great, and should work decently. And you're right about not seeing many RCs. You'll usually see a 'busa at least once or twice a day, but you'll be lucky to see a RC once a week. The RC isn't as bad as duc's in the street ergo's dept. and they have a straight gutteral almost animalistic/predatory feel. Many a Harley guy has given me the weird look thinking " it sounds kinda like a Harley, but it looks like a crotch rocket". If you wanna be diff then the RC will do what you want.

Apoc 08-21-2009 12:52 PM

I miss my RC51 every time i walk into the garage.

smileyman 08-21-2009 12:54 PM

Its funny about the heat. I commuted on my ZX thru city traffic and it was unbearable. The frame got so hot it burned to the touch and I got soggy drawers at each stoplight.
My 1125R gets warm and the frame heat can be felt but even with the radiators on the side it doesnt get as hot as my 600?

Dave 08-21-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 256578)
Its funny about the heat. I commuted on my ZX thru city traffic and it was unbearable. The frame got so hot it burned to the touch and I got soggy drawers at each stoplight.
My 1125R gets warm and the frame heat can be felt but even with the radiators on the side it doesnt get as hot as my 600?

prolly that underseat to blame

No Worries 08-21-2009 01:30 PM

Honda Blackbirds are way cheaper than the RC and Busa, way smoother for commuting, way more comfortable, and can lose your license just as quickly as the Busa.

Particle Man 08-21-2009 01:35 PM

I've always liked how the RC looks and I'm a sucker for a 'Twin

Homeslice 08-21-2009 01:57 PM

If your commute is highway, there is no reason to put Helibars on a bike. The wind helps prop you up. Plus they look dumb on a sportbike IMO.

Amber Lamps 08-21-2009 01:59 PM

Well... you could always get a GSXR1000... bear with me people. Great handling and not terrible ergos for long distances. Descent track manners. Great street manners... Actually, faster than a 'Busa until absolute top end. To be honest, if you're keeping the VFR, I don't understand the question since you already have a great commute bike, I'd get the RC-51...:idk:

smileyman 08-21-2009 02:07 PM

Yeah if you have the viffer go for the sporty side! Or perhaps hold out till that new VFR V5 hits the street?!

Homeslice 08-21-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 256606)
Well... you could always get a GSXR1000... bear with me people. Great handling and not terrible ergos for long distances. Descent track manners. Great street manners...

Plus billion........Or, if you prefer Honda, get a 954........So much better-looking than the 1000rr.

Rider 08-21-2009 03:28 PM

If I had to pick between those 2 only, I'd go RC51. Both bikes are heavy pigs though. I'd rather have a lighter bike than a bike with a big motor. That's why I love the 750 so much. Best of both worlds. The ergos are good enough to ride long distances(a full tank of gas) without stopping. Broad power band for street riding but plenty of power for squiding it up. If you want to spend 8-9K you can get a used 848 if you like the feel of a v-twin.

RACER X 08-21-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 256624)
Plus billion........Or, if you prefer Honda, get a 954........So much better-looking than the 1000rr.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 256625)
That's why I love the 750 so much. Best of both worlds. The ergos are good enough to ride long distances(a full tank of gas) without stopping. Broad power band for street riding but plenty of power for squiding it up. If you want to spend 8-9K you can get a used 848 if you like the feel of a v-twin.

not into cookie cutter bikes........all these bikes are beyond my/yours limits, so "how" fast isn't a big deciding factor to me.......

though gsxr750 is a VERY soild all around bike......and has entered my mind.

Rider 08-21-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 256628)
not into cookie cutter bikes........all these bikes are beyond my/yours limits, so "how" fast isn't a big deciding factor to me.......

though gsxr750 is a VERY soild all around bike......and has entered my mind.

How about a newer VFR? Sweet bikes and you don't see those that often.

OneSickPsycho 08-21-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 256486)
On a side note...I love the black RC's.

Such as:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...RC51-small.jpg

Fucking sickness. Drewpy, are you paying attention? I have a spray gun and we can build a booth in my garage... Black is beautiful... DO IT.

Quote:

To be honest, if you're keeping the VFR, I don't understand the question since you already have a great commute bike, I'd get the RC-51...:idk:

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read the first post. The RC, and pretty much all v-twins have souls... the Busa, as refined and perfect as it is (for what it was built for), to me... it's just boring.

As far as comfort is concerned... if Drewpy can ride 4,000 miles in 10 days cross country on an RC, I think your 20 mile per day commute would be bearable. From what I gather the heat issue won't be a problem because you speak of 'open highway' during your commute so I guess traffic is marginal. However, if traffic is a problem, just buy a fucking scooter.

That said... V-Twin FTW... ALWAYS.

RACER X 08-21-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 256629)
How about a newer VFR? Sweet bikes and you don't see those that often.

IMO the 99-02 VFR were the best.......

VTEC....meh
timing belt...........meh, vs gear driven........

HokieDNA01 08-21-2009 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You could just get a more bad ass VFR.

If Kerry could only talk me into the super charger kit he wants so bad. That is what you should do Racer. Through a super charger on your old bike and it will be like a whole new animal. Takes it from 100hp to 160hp.

Here is the link.... http://www.aaperf.com

You tube vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDCgwyY4yOY

Talk about a sleeper!!

This is Kerry's. Mmmm Sweetness!

tached1000rr 08-21-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 256642)
IMO the 99-02 VFR were the best.......

VTEC....meh
timing belt...........meh, vs gear driven........

I would agree...

Rider 08-21-2009 04:33 PM

Obviously a 'chop job but...:dribble: I can;t wait to see an update to the VFR.
http://www.dancewithshadows.com/auto...1000-photo.jpg

z06boy 08-21-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Well... you could always get a GSXR1000... bear with me people. Great handling and not terrible ergos for long distances. Descent track manners. Great street manners... Actually, faster than a 'Busa until absolute top end. To be honest, if you're keeping the VFR, I don't understand the question since you already have a great commute bike, I'd get the RC-51...:idk:

That's a thought too...or an R1. :lol:

marko138 08-21-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 256652)
Obviously a 'chop job but...:dribble: I can;t wait to see an update to the VFR.
http://www.dancewithshadows.com/auto...1000-photo.jpg

Now there's a good looking machine.

Rider 08-21-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 256656)
Now there's a good looking machine.

What I find funny about that pic is that they show the pipe coming up for an under tail exhaust but it doesn't have an under tail exhaust. :lol:

marko138 08-21-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 256658)
What I find funny about that pic is that they show the pipe coming up for an under tail exhaust but it doesn't have an under tail exhaust. :lol:

:lol: Didn't even noticed that until you said.

Amber Lamps 08-21-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 256664)
:lol: Didn't even noticed that until you said.

I honestly noticed but didn't bother since he pointed out it was a chop job from the start.:idk:

derf 08-21-2009 06:06 PM

RC51, just for the simple fact tat you wouldnt be just some tool on a busa. The RC51 is a much more special bike, one that you will enjoy more in the long term.

Amber Lamps 08-22-2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 256687)
RC51, just for the simple fact tat you wouldnt be just some tool on a busa. The RC51 is a much more special bike, one that you will enjoy more in the long term.

Hell, get a MV Agusta...

RACER X 08-22-2009 02:29 AM

still too exp.

this one's nice, has most of the bits i;d put on there as well.

http://collegestation.craigslist.org...310223035.html

dReWpY 08-22-2009 05:31 AM

i am really surprised no one has seen the pics of the new 1200 vfr with shaft drive some badass looks, shits real and headed to the states... but my vote is rc, i must say i will always have my pig, its a beast that hard to beat, if you got any questions let me know, i got 24k on mine that i put on with a total of 30k on it with the previous owner and have not had the first hiccup and i use and abuse my bike

Cutty72 08-22-2009 07:51 AM

Use, abuse, and get an average 16 mpg. :lol:

Apoc 08-22-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 256759)
still too exp.

this one's nice, has most of the bits i;d put on there as well.

http://collegestation.craigslist.org...310223035.html

Those akra full systems sound awesome!

You'll get better power out of a properly tuned sato or Mori though, and an even nicer sound...

Apoc 08-22-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 256760)
i am really surprised no one has seen the pics of the new 1200 vfr with shaft drive some badass looks, shits real and headed to the states...

I saw the pics... Its fucking horrid. Uglier than the zx14 even. And on top of that, its shaft drive. Another FAIL by honda.

Why couldnt they just have made an updated blackbird :(

Apoc 08-22-2009 11:31 AM

Oh, and all that said, I love the 51, but im considering trading the Hog for a Busa. I miss having more power than ill ever need on tap whenever I want it. And I want something ill be fairly comfortable on. And trust me, the RC51 is NOT comfortable.

tached1000rr 08-22-2009 11:37 AM

For me it would be the busa, and I'll likely have one in the garage in the next year or two in addition to what's already in it. I swear the busa is the Rodney Dangerfield of motorcycles.

How's the aftermarket support for the 51? Parts easy to come by?

RACER X 08-22-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 256801)
For me it would be the busa, and I'll likely have one in the garage in the next year or two in addition to what's already in it. I swear the busa is the Rodney Dangerfield of motorcycles.

How's the aftermarket support for the 51? Parts easy to come by?

like what? stretched swingarms and chrome plated wheels.......very low.

go fast goodies, lots.

MikeSP1 08-22-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 256805)
like what? stretched swingarms and chrome plated wheels.......very low.

go fast goodies, lots.

Truth be told, body work is easy to come by, stock parts too, and there's more aftermarket speedfreak stuff out there than you can shake a stick at. If you're looking for something (aside from luggage) that doesn't help the stock RC go faster, then you're gonna have a hard time finding it.

I love my RC and have a plan for it, first piggy goes on a diet, then I'll go through her suspension, and finally comes the power. I'd love to build a spare motor up to about 160 hp and throw it in.

dReWpY 08-22-2009 02:01 PM

i get about 34 mpg now and thats living in TN were my ride is all curves all the time :)

Amber Lamps 08-22-2009 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Um how about this bike? I just remembered one of my local guys is selling his. Clean bike-20,000 miles $5300 with a couple throw ins...

http://www.ncsportbikes.com/forums/v...er=asc&start=0

Homeslice 08-22-2009 03:17 PM

Hmm, Jardine decal, but Two Brothers exhaust :scratch:

Amber Lamps 08-22-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 256842)
Hmm, Jardine decal, but Two Brothers exhaust :scratch:

yea that's the Nicky Hayden model and came stock with those decals. I guess he didn't want a Jardine exhaust. Easily solved with a sticker.

karl_1052 08-22-2009 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have ridden the RC in traffic, and would have to vote Busa. Although I might be biased.

The Rc is awesome if you are riding twisties or the track.

If you want a good, cheap vtwin honda that is good for commuting as well as sport touring, get the VTR1000F. 90% of the performance of the RC, cheaper, and more bearable for commuting.

fuck it, get the Bus!
http://www.twowheelfix.com/attachmen...1&d=1249381851

retarded fast, comfy and decent handling

Tmall 08-22-2009 04:55 PM

Buell...

For what you do, the lightning is THE perfect bike.

zer0t 08-22-2009 06:05 PM

Go Busa for comfort.

101lifts2 08-22-2009 06:31 PM

Face it...you're getting old and ur a tad on the chunky side. Chunk monk.

Get the Busa.

OneSickPsycho 08-22-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 256857)
Buell...

For what you do, the lightning is THE perfect bike.

Agreed. XBSs or XBSTT... Uly if you can stand the looks.

Homeslice 08-22-2009 10:02 PM

Such polar opposites. I don't know how you could consider an RC51 and a Busa on the same shopping list. I guess you could split the difference and get a ZX12R, I've always liked those. Black and gold please.

Amber Lamps 08-22-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 256949)
Such polar opposites. I don't know how you could consider an RC51 and a Busa on the same shopping list. I guess you could split the difference and get a ZX12R, I've always liked those. Black and gold please.

They seem to be cheap too! I've seen them for sale locally for around $4,000 no bs.

RACER X 08-24-2009 08:14 AM

'busa is easiest and most practical choice for "my" wants
rc is most visceral

pauldun170 08-24-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 256881)
Face it...you're getting old and ur a tad on the chunky side. Chunk monk.

Get the Busa.

:lol

MikeSP1 08-24-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 256854)
I have ridden the RC in traffic, and would have to vote Busa. Although I might be biased.

The Rc is awesome if you are riding twisties or the track.

If you want a good, cheap vtwin honda that is good for commuting as well as sport touring, get the VTR1000F. 90% of the performance of the RC, cheaper, and more bearable for commuting.

fuck it, get the Bus!
http://www.twowheelfix.com/attachmen...1&d=1249381851

retarded fast, comfy and decent handling

But look at what's lurking behind it :) a pair of twins, and one's the RC! Forget about the busa and just rock the RC. You know you want it, you've already said so.

karl_1052 08-24-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSP1 (Post 257237)
But look at what's lurking behind it :) a pair of twins, and one's the RC! Forget about the busa and just rock the RC. You know you want it, you've already said so.

Yeah, the RC broke down that day.lol

Get the bus, then you can tell environmentalists you take the bus to work.

Trip 08-24-2009 03:14 PM

Busa

quackPOT 08-24-2009 03:27 PM

I've owned an 02 RC51 since March of 2002 and have almost 40,000 miles on it. If I was choosing a bike, with commuting as top factor in deciding, I'd go for the 'Busa. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY RC51, it is bad ass.

However, in slow, rush hour traffic, the RC will bake your legs and nuts, on BROIL, anytime you are going less than 40MPH. The RC is well known for its lackluster cooling performance. Even in good health, my bike nearly overheats during the summer, anytime there is serious congestion on my commutes.

But, if you do get an RC51, it will be bad ass for all other tasks. I even do some 1k mile + sport touring on it with much success. Track days are bad ass too! Make sure you become an RC51.org member if you do get the bike. There is a wealth of information over there and some jaded 51 monkeys who know everything there is to know about the bike.

Good luck with your choice. :)

the chi 08-24-2009 06:00 PM

Im with the rest. The RC's are superb bikes, but for comfort and commuting, go with Busa. Its like riding on air, with great handling for such a beast of a bike, and if you can toss it around, it really isnt a bad track bike either (so long as the track is bigger bike friendly). Nor will it fry your nuts and other nether regions when ya get stuck in traffic.

marko138 08-24-2009 07:39 PM

If the RC dumped boiling coolant on my exposed skin at every stop I'd still vote RC.

dReWpY 08-24-2009 08:33 PM

if your not in shorts its not that bad, its hot, dont get me wrong, but its nothing that is worth not buying the bike

Dave 08-24-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 256956)
They seem to be cheap too! I've seen them for sale locally for around $4,000 no bs.

bout the same around here and that composite frame is tits

RACER X 08-25-2009 02:26 PM

there are no "clean" RCs out here

either rashed or high mileage, or both, askin good $

and the clean one's are askin as much as the '08 busa i like (blue/gold, like karls)

Kerry_129 08-25-2009 02:45 PM

Nah - I've seen 2 or 3 nice ones (tricked-out, clean, and fairly low-$) show up in the ADVrider flea-market over the past few months, and I've not even been looking. Just gotta be patient & willing to travel a bit if necessary.

If you get one, I'd recommend going with the '02-up SP2 model (though there aren't big differences).

RACER X 08-25-2009 02:54 PM

yeah, it'd be an '02+

maybe it's me, but i like full disclosure on an ad

emailed 2 diff peeps about bikes, niether mentioned "dropping" the bike in their ads, only in direct emails........

see, nice, clean, wheels! exhaust! hi mileage......

$6k

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1341034253.html

dReWpY 08-25-2009 03:57 PM

i know of a great 02 rc that can be had for less then that only difference is it lacks the sexy rims

marko138 08-25-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 257876)
yeah, it'd be an '02+

maybe it's me, but i like full disclosure on an ad

emailed 2 diff peeps about bikes, niether mentioned "dropping" the bike in their ads, only in direct emails........

see, nice, clean, wheels! exhaust! hi mileage......

$6k

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1341034253.html

Wow, that thing is gorgeous...with all the right mods.

RACER X 08-25-2009 04:07 PM

yeah, but then it begs the ? , whats it worth? the bike is $4k at most

but then the add-ons are $$

and it's near my office too.........

marko138 08-25-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 257934)
yeah, but then it begs the ? , whats it worth? the bike is $4k at most

but then the add-ons are $$

and it's my office too.........

I dont think $6k is unreasonable. I know those bikes tend to sell high. But then again, it's not my money. :lol:

Rider 08-25-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 257935)
I dont think $6k is unreasonable. I know those bikes tend to sell high. But then again, it's not my money. :lol:

I don't think I'd call an RC51 scary fast though.

marko138 08-25-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 257936)
I don't think I'd call an RC51 scary fast though.

Me either...but it's all perception I guess. Or he just wants to sell that bike.

dReWpY 08-25-2009 06:20 PM

the bike pulls, and i guess it could scare you when it shoots out of a corner trying to pull your arms out of the sockets

HokieDNA01 08-25-2009 06:28 PM

are they really hand built???

Smittie61984 08-25-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 256568)

If you want to be different, get a Hayabusa and leave it stock.

If you are keeping the "viffer" then I'd get the RC51 since the VFR should be good for your commutes.

My buddy has a RC51 with FMF twins. Oh damn that shit makes me horny.

z06boy 08-26-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 257937)
Me either...but it's all perception I guess. Or he just wants to sell that bike.

True. When I bought my Z06 back in 2002 the guy I bought it from had a personalized tag that read SCARYFAST (abbreviated) and then I bought it and have added about 150 hp. :lol:

karl_1052 08-26-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 257963)
the bike pulls, and i guess it could scare you when it shoots out of a corner trying to pull your arms out of the sockets

Or you could get the bus, and pull your arms out everywhere

Homeslice 08-26-2009 11:09 AM

I can't get into the silver & red color combo.......For me it'd have to be black

RACER X 08-26-2009 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
'08 5000mi, no exhaust, powdercoated stuff

$8500

remainder of fact. warranty

RACER X 08-26-2009 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
better pic of blacked out rearsets

HokieDNA01 08-26-2009 02:30 PM

VERY sweet looking ride!!

tached1000rr 08-26-2009 02:40 PM

It's sweet, please stop I had temporarily gotten over my busa-situs but those pics are bringing it back, I was content to wait 1-2 more years....

nhgunnut 08-26-2009 02:43 PM

If you are going to commute get the Busa between the excellent chassis and the the depth of the Aftermarket Options you can not go wrong

RACER X 08-26-2009 02:51 PM

now i'm kinda leaning in that direction.

all the RC's ive seen are either dropped, hi mileage, and exp.

or nice and exp.

Kerry_129 08-26-2009 03:27 PM

I wouldn't worry so much about the 'high mileage', assuming you're thinking 20~30k is 'high'.

If the maintenance has been kept up, stored indoors, not thrashed, etc. that's not really any worse than a car with comparable mileage.

I recently bought an '06 GSXR-750 with 28k miles at a stupid low price because the owner had himself convinced it was 'worn out'. It only needed chain/sprockets & a little TLC. Hell, the valves were still dead-on, and it feels just as tight (a bit smoother, if anything) as Kathy's when it was nearly new. :D

RACER X 08-26-2009 03:38 PM

prob. is that the RC aren't going for stupid low w/ those kinda miles.

+ they tend to be dropped or beat up

Mr Lefty 08-26-2009 03:49 PM

BUSA. unless you have another bike also or plan on only keeping it for a short while.

RC's are sexy as hell... but not what I'd do for every day riding... but drewpy would argue with me.