Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Marine Scout Snipers and the "Nazi" symbol (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=20952)

fatbuckRTO 02-10-2012 09:31 AM

Marine Scout Snipers and the "Nazi" symbol

For anyone who has read the story (I refuse to link to that garbage the AP is trying to pass off as a legitimate news article), bear this in mind:

Marine Corps Scout Snipers have used a double lightning bolt "SS" as their unofficial symbol for decades. For them is has nothing to do with Nazi Germany. And, as much as the press wants to use this note as a further indictment of the Marine Corps, most of those snipers who embraced their "SS" symbol probably had no idea it was a symbol of the Schutzstaffel. Blah blah blah, "dumb Marine" comments aside, I'm willing to bet 75-80% of the American public (and 90% of the world) doesn't know that the Nazi SS used that symbol.

When I was stationed on MCB Hawaii in the late nineties, the snipers there had the "SS" on their T-shirt. The base commander learned of it and ordered them to cover it with duct tape if they wanted to continue to wear the shirt. There is a reason groups like scout snipers stick to their symbols despite opposition. It represents a history of honorable and effective service for them as a group, and individually it represents a culmination of more effort and hard work than most people can even conceive. Ask any Ranger who served from the 70's to the 90's what they think about their black berets and being forced to share them with the entire Army now. I don't know how the Scout Sniper "SS" came about, or exactly when, but I know what response you'd get if you asked a Marine sniper to give it up.

Now, after seeing a photo of some Marines from 2010, who have done more to defend this country than than over 99% of us, Jewish groups want "heads to roll." Ironic. So do the Muslim fanatics those snipers are fighting.

/soap box

azoomm 02-10-2012 09:44 AM

I remember when the black berets were made Army wide because some asshole that was not involved directly didn't want feelings to get hurt. If they would have talked to anyone actually IN the Army at the time they might have come to understand all ranks respected the fact that the berets were EARNED and not gifted.

I think too many people in this world believe themselves to be important when they actually aren't.

This Jewish group is fits into that group of people that believe to be more important than they are. They are trying to show someone how their being butt-hurt is a bigger deal than the history of this honorable group. Especially a group that has probably done more for their freedom than any other in existence.

What a bunch of ignorant jerks.

pauldun170 02-10-2012 10:20 AM

I'm part of the % that knows about the SS's history in Europe.
I'm not Jewish nor am I all "hide the children" about this.

Having said that...
The design used in the photo is extremely similar to that used by the Nazi SS.
I would think that any military organization having been informed of how fucked up the SS was and how shitty of an organization they really were would be embarrassed to be affiliated with it.
"But its Tradition!!!"

I think what needs to happen is that some LGBT organization needs to adopt the "SS" in some sort of symbol.
Lets see how long Marine snipers embrace the tradition of "SS" symbols.

As for the incident itself. Let it go.
No need to do anything beside a general "Knock that shit off...this shit is generating paperwork I don't have time to do"

RACER X 02-10-2012 10:27 AM

pic of the "SS"?

when did the current layout of that symbol come into effect?

fatbuckRTO 02-10-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 505686)
Having said that...
The design used in the photo is extremely similar to that used by the Nazi SS.
I would think that any military organization having been informed of how fucked up the SS was and how shitty of an organization they really were would be embarrassed to be affiliated with it.
"But its Tradition!!!"

I think what needs to happen is that some LGBT organization needs to adopt the "SS" in some sort of symbol.
Lets see how long Marine snipers embrace the tradition of "SS" symbols.

Officially, the Marine Corps has banned its use on numerous individual occasions. To my knowledge there is not a general standing order preventing Scout Snipers from associating with the "SS" symbol. This photo, like so many others, was probably intended for private use among the members of that unit, before some chucklehead put it up on the internet. There's always one...

I can understand your opinion, but you may or may not have seen first hand how jealously military units guard their symbols. That said, there are probably hundreds of US military units that have symbols similar to the Waffen SS's Totenkopf (my team in Afghanistan was one, we even have pictures with a Jolly Roger flag). Hell, Navy crows look just like some of the Nazi eagles, minus the swastika. The Army marksmanship badge is a damn Iron Cross. America didn't wipe the eagle off its quarters (until the mint started that dumbass state quarter program). We decided that our use of those symbols supercedes the Nazis, that they were our symbols even though Nazis used them too. So did Marine Scout Snipers.

pauldun170 02-10-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO (Post 505689)

I can understand your opinion, but you may or may not have seen first hand how jealously military units guard their symbols.

I've seen it, I've heard the gripes and the history etc etc.

It really has nothing to do with "military"
Its more of a general human thing.

jtemple 02-10-2012 11:43 AM

I know about the Schutzstaffel; my grandmother survived the Holocaust.

I'm kind of on the fence about the SS symbol usage. To me, the intent is what matters. I don't give two shits about two jagged letters.

Trip 02-10-2012 12:00 PM

Doesn't bother me either way, but the SS was a vicious group and wanting to wear a logo similar to it is too much for a government entity.

Atheists and other groups are basically doing the same thing removing ten commandments and other religious logos/symbols from government entities.

Basically this country does not tolerate people getting butt hurt anymore. If you butt hurt someone, you must change whatever you are doing.

Papa_Complex 02-10-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 505694)
Doesn't bother me either way, but the SS was a vicious group and wanting to wear a logo similar to it is too much for a government entity.

Atheists and other groups are basically doing the same thing removing ten commandments and other religious logos/symbols from government entities.

Basically this country does not tolerate people getting butt hurt anymore. If you butt hurt someone, you must change whatever you are doing.

The question becomes, "Which symbol came first?" If it's the double SS "sieg sieg" then its use should go, no matter what the "heritage" of it is for the snipers. If they've been using it since the 1800s, then that's a different story.

Then again the swastika has been around for millennia, in dozens of disparate cultures. From the late 1800s up to WWII it was found on popular items, as a pseudo mystical symbol. There are tons of lighters, rings, money clips, you name it from England, Scotland, Ireland, France.... bearing that symbol. Now it has just one meaning, in popular culture.

On the other hand, the "Biblification" of America is a fairly recent thing. "In God We Trust" wasn't on money for almost a hundred years, after the nation was founded. "One nation, under God" wasn't in the Pledge of Allegiance, until the mid-1950s.

Not exactly what the Founding Fathers had in mind, for your country.

Trip 02-10-2012 02:09 PM

Swastika backwards is still used all over India. It was used way way way way before the Nazis.

I would put money on the sniper scout symbol not being that old, you want to know why.....wait for it.....

http://images.marketplaceadvisor.cha..._flag_gold.jpg

Ironically, they are jews.

Trip 02-10-2012 02:15 PM

Actually, i found a pic of the flag they used, yeah that was an Nazi SS flag font and it was a Nazi SS flag. It wasn't a resemblence, it was a flag that was probably purchased from a pro Nazi website. That isn't just a mistake, that was done on purpose to get that flag there by whoever provided that flag.

derf 02-10-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 505704)
Actually, i found a pic of the flag they used, yeah that was an Nazi SS flag font and it was a Nazi SS flag. It wasn't a resemblence, it was a flag that was probably purchased from a pro Nazi website. That isn't just a mistake, that was done on purpose to get that flag there by whoever provided that flag.

Looks like a nazi flag huh? It is probably taken directly from the nazis after ww2 and made a mascot. I have known plenty of scout snipers who use the SS letters, they are scout snipers thats it nothing more, nothing less. This whole thing is blown way out of proportion.

Incidently I have a certificate of appreciation with those exact SS letters in my look at me book, and that came from another group of marine scout snipers a few years back. I got a tshirt too.

Papa_Complex 02-10-2012 05:27 PM

Does that make you the stereotypical "self-hating Jew"?

derf 02-10-2012 05:31 PM

no, it means that they have used it as an unofficial mascot for years simply because of the SS stands for scout sniper. People need to not get all butt hurt.

Trip 02-10-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 505706)
Looks like a nazi flag huh? It is probably taken directly from the nazis after ww2 and made a mascot. I have known plenty of scout snipers who use the SS letters, they are scout snipers thats it nothing more, nothing less. This whole thing is blown way out of proportion.

Incidently I have a certificate of appreciation with those exact SS letters in my look at me book, and that came from another group of marine scout snipers a few years back. I got a tshirt too.

Yeah and you can go buy that exact flag at your friendly skinhead and nazi web store.

Adeptus_Minor 02-10-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 505709)
no, it means that they have used it as an unofficial mascot for years simply because of the SS stands for scout sniper. People need to not get all butt hurt.

Dammit, Fred... quit being so reasonable! :lol:

derf 02-10-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 505722)
Yeah and you can go buy that exact flag at your friendly skinhead and nazi web store.

or ebay, or one of the dozen memoribilia stores outside every base, or naziSSflags.com or have your wife with a sewing machine make one, or have it hang in some guys office for the last 40 years or whatever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 505724)
Dammit, Fred... quit being so reasonable! :lol:

sorry I will stop. YOURE A NAZI! I win!

Rangerscott 02-10-2012 11:47 PM

Hell they could have a chipmunk as their symbol and someone would cry foul.

Adeptus_Minor 02-11-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 505730)

sorry I will stop. YOURE A NAZI! I win!

There we are. That's more like it. :dthumb:

tommymac 02-11-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 505734)
There we are. That's more like it. :dthumb:

So if you are indeed a nazi can you put fred in your oven or gas chamber and be done with him already :lol:

Trip 02-11-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 505730)
or ebay, or one of the dozen memoribilia stores outside every base, or naziSSflags.com or have your wife with a sewing machine make one, or have it hang in some guys office for the last 40 years or whatever.

it's not from a sewing machine or a 40 year old relic. It's a brand new screen printed flag. Look at the picture. It was purchased as a nazi ss flag. Sorry as the government, you are subject to the will of the people you represent. And I am willing to bet a lot of your religious folk don't want our military running around with nazi flags.

Rangerscott 02-11-2012 01:14 PM

Well they can go back to their own shitty country. LOL

Dave 02-11-2012 06:32 PM

I wonder how many of the butthurt drive porsches Volkswagens and BMW's

Adeptus_Minor 02-11-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 505737)
So if you are indeed a nazi can you put fred in your oven or gas chamber and be done with him already :lol:

Nah, the damn Jews in accounting cut my extermination budget. :lol:

derf 02-11-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 505748)
it's not from a sewing machine or a 40 year old relic. It's a brand new screen printed flag. Look at the picture. It was purchased as a nazi ss flag. Sorry as the government, you are subject to the will of the people you represent. And I am willing to bet a lot of your religious folk don't want our military running around with nazi flags.

you will be surprised how much military shit has nazi, japanese, german (ww1), Nvietnam, basically all of our enemies. We take their shit and claim it as our own. In this case the SS is a pretty common symbol for scout snipers. Someone got butt hurt over it and its a big deal. The place where it came from doesnt matter at all (unless gov funds were used to pay for an extremist/hate group which is against policy and I believe federal law.

tommymac 02-12-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 505766)
Nah, the damn Jews in accounting cut my extermination budget. :lol:

theyre sneaky bastids like that :lol:

Dave 02-12-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 505771)
you will be surprised how much military shit has nazi, japanese, german (ww1), Nvietnam, basically all of our enemies. We take their shit and claim it as our own. In this case the SS is a pretty common symbol for scout snipers. Someone got butt hurt over it and its a big deal. The place where it came from doesnt matter at all (unless gov funds were used to pay for an extremist/hate group which is against policy and I believe federal law.

Nobody gave two shits when we replaced the swastika with a Jersey devil on the Afrika corps crest...

Adeptus_Minor 02-12-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 505787)
Nobody gave two shits when we replaced the swastika with a Jersey devil on the Afrika corps crest...

Vaginas used to have a much lower sand content.

derf 02-12-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 505787)

dont know anything about that. But I do know that in the pentagon just outside the secretary of the armys office is a nazi flag.

derf 02-12-2012 08:37 PM

here are some canadians with a nazi flag (massive photo, click for it)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ziflag1944.jpg

pauldun170 02-12-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 505818)

When you actually fight nazis you get to take pictures of their shit as a big neh neh née neh neh we took ur shit.
Taking it from a captured nazi is a bit different than buying it at a skinhead store.

Papa_Complex 02-12-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 505818)

That, on the other hand, is a captured flag.