View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
How many houses are burning down on a regular basis? Fee or not... Are they called every week to run water from their truck?

Plus the asshole said on the phone he'd pay what he owed. I think that right there says "ok I admit I skipped your fee's but I'll pay them now put my fire out".

Fuck those firefighters I hope they burn in their sleep for letting defenseless animals die.
Mikey beat me to the punch, as seen below. But my thoughts are that this is "insurance." Do you think the insurance company will let you go without paying, then suddenly pay for repairs after you decide to pay a one year premium JUST because you wrecked your car or your house burned down? No, they're going to tell you "tough cookies." This guy said he'd pay the full amount of the fire department's cost, but that's like telling your insurance company you'll pay the full amount of having your car or house fixed. What's the point, after the damage is already done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I gotta side with the fire department. That would be like me riding around with no insurance for years, and then when I get in a wreck try to pay a one-month premium to get all my bills paid. That's not how it works.

I'm thinking this guy saw it as one more expense he could skip out on, because "what's gonna happen?"

That said, though, I do think the county needs to reconsider their policy here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I can't believe the people in this thread....amazing. Yeah, let a house burn down and fry four animals over 75 bucks, which the guy was willing to pay at a minimum.

How about changing your fucking laws to include police and fire in propery taxes....doesn't sound like rocket science to me.
While I don't think the animals should have died because of this, I do see the point, as mentioned above on the insurance comments. And like someone else said, if they let the guy pay the $75 only AFTER his house caught fire, then the rest of the community would stop paying their $75 and only wait for a fire, if it ever happened. Yes, maybe the community needs to change the way it's charged, but that doesn't mean the FD should have done the job anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
that's a pretty good analogy and one I hadn't thought of

The poor animals though

If they're so adamant on payment, the Fire Department should have a published hourly cost for those who do NOT pay into the system. Then they could put the damn fire out, charge the guy, and go on their merry way.
True, but what if the guy doesn't have the money to pay the hourly rate? You can't get blood from a turnip. By the time they check to figure out if he can afford the rate, the house is already burned down. If they put the fire out before checking and just send the guy a bill, he can simply not pay that one, the same as he didn't pay the $75.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote