Thread: Gun Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Yes but a 7.62 x 51 is not exactly the same as a .308 from some of the gun forums I've been on. I've heard that damage could be done to your rifle using the surplus 7.62.x 51 rounds in a .308 rifle. Is this in fact true or is it safe to use them?
The issue is neither external brass dimensions (which are identical)
nor pressure specs (SAMMI specs for the .308 are 62K CUP,
for the Nato 7.62 are 58K). The issues are twofold: the
greater thickness of military brass vs commercial (military
is thicker, allowing for much case flowing of shot cases),
and the headspace allowance of the NATO chambers vs the .013"shorter headspace allowance for the .308.

Shooting fresh (unreloaded) 7.62 ammo in a sporter .308 will cause no
ill effects;
trying to chamber reloaded military brass that has not
been full-resized (not just neck sized) will cause headspace problems, blown cases and all manner of bad things.

The guys that reload 7.62 brass without full-length resizing for .308
are the ones who have issues. Regular sizing dies for the .308 are neck-sizing only, you have to buy a special full-length carbide resizing die to get full length resizing on the 7.62.

I recently watched a fellow trying to close the action of a very new, very nice and expensive customized FN TSR XP on some reloaded 7.62 ammo (baggie brand); he was using a wooden mallet to hammer the bolt closed. After firing the one round the action seized and even with the intrepid fellow slamming the bolt handle on the side of the table he was unable to get it open again.

We breathed a collective sigh of relief when he packed up and left.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote