View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

depends on the noob to be honest... and this means taking a NO BULLSHIT view of yourself... can you resist the urge to twist your wrist when the hottie next to you wants you to wheelie? can you force yourself to take it slow and concentrate on the fundementals? can you focus on riding with out being distracted by the bike next to you, the car next to you, the chick flashing you from the back seat of her parent's mini van?

in reality... you could start out on a Turbo Busa and be fine... just all depends on 1. LUCK (though that just comes into play on how you hold up phyically... not what skill you gain) and 2. the rider.

The problem is most people who are looking into new bikes don't understand just how fast they accelerate and how they're gonna react. the natural reaction can be the exact one that will fuck you. example when your rear starts sliding in a corner... your mind imediatly says... close throttle... do that... and your gonna see what your bike looks like from 4' above it... as you'll probably high side.

point is... everyone says they're a responsible person and they'll go slow... but we've all been 16-25... we all know how you can want something so bad you convince yourself or skew the views to meet your objective.

There's nothing wrong with starting small... there's nothing wrong with starting big... it's all how you handle it.

I started on a 600 and went 7000 miles before I loop'd it at a stop light because I wasn't paying 100% attention. shit happens. I had several close calls prior to that and on a 1000cc bike I'd have been off for sure, as there's less room for error... Vtwin or I4.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote