Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
CasterTroy

Default compressor motor failure?

So for the garage I've got a small 3hp/15 gallon horizontal craftsman compressor I've had for several years.

I don't run a DA sander, or spray paint...just run the occasional air tool or pump up tires...no biggie.

Well the other day this normally loud-ass compressor, started sounding like it was losing power and gradually dying. Then it tripped the GFCI. All of a sudden a light smoke and a smell came from it. Like the motor was burning up.

So I pulled the casing off. Tried running it again and sparks were flying all over from the area around the brushes.

So I pulled the brushes.....good and worn down. But I don't know squat about electric motors.

Does it just need new brushes? or is something in the motor itself fried?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

How much brush is still there?

Do they look the same? Are they missing chunks?

Are they sad?

Are they lonely?

So many questions.

JC
Old 02-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

Try replacing the brushes, should be easy and cheap. If that does not work, take it to Sears and see what they say.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
CasterTroy

They look sad.....kinda like they've been married to a money sucking social climbing whore bag for a dozen years then they broke free....wait, that was someone else....they appear to be about 1/3 smaller than original, well rounded ends.....(need to look closer when I get home)
Old 02-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Couldnt ya just take it ot sears and either have em fix it or get ya a new one?
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Couldnt ya just take it ot sears and either have em fix it or get ya a new one?
OK I'm from the south....and I hate to bag on southerners....but DAYUM..... I went to sears today at lunch (because CALLING them resulted in getting caught in automated fucking HELL) and spoke to someone in receiving (who also doubles for the repair center spokesman) that gave me the same amount of confidence in Sears ability to fix this thing that I have with myself fixing it with my fingers duct taped together and eyes glued shut. The two others standing near him also instilled the same confidence. Think “I’m Larry…this is my brother Darrel, and my OTHER brother Darrel”.

Chances are I’ll buy a new one…but I thought it might be interesting and rewarding to solve this little issue myself.

Ordered some bushing ($23….holy hell) from ereplacementparts.com just for shit’s n giggles. We’ll see.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
OK I'm from the south....and I hate to bag on southerners....but DAYUM..... I went to sears today at lunch (because CALLING them resulted in getting caught in automated fucking HELL) and spoke to someone in receiving (who also doubles for the repair center spokesman) that gave me the same amount of confidence in Sears ability to fix this thing that I have with myself fixing it with my fingers duct taped together and eyes glued shut. The two others standing near him also instilled the same confidence. Think “I’m Larry…this is my brother Darrel, and my OTHER brother Darrel”.

Chances are I’ll buy a new one…but I thought it might be interesting and rewarding to solve this little issue myself.

Ordered some bushing ($23….holy hell) from ereplacementparts.com just for shit’s n giggles. We’ll see.
You ordered bushings or brushes?

Does the motor rotate easily or is it locked up?
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post

Check out Grainger.com as well.
They have scads of electric motors, likely one that would be a direct replacement.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

odds are your compressor is dead, and its time for a new one. my friend has a harbor freight compressor that does the same thing, its not as easy as just putting new brushes in I dont think.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I've got a vertical tank version (slightly larger?) and had to replace the brushes before.

I think I'll jump off the fucking roof before I do that again. I'm convinced they did not build these suckers to be rebuildable (I invented words when I ran out of normal curse words).

As much as I love this thing, it dies again I'll replace the brushes one more time and any time after that it's probably going and I'll put money into something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compressor.jpg (16.8 KB, 41 views)

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote