Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09
Default less respect now days for po po?

Don't get me wrong I've had more then my share of run ins with whatever city i happen to live in at the times finest. I used to collect tax statements from them on roadtrips, and I can personally tell you the plastic seats in squad cars suck. BUT...............I would never wish real physical harm to someone who is just out doing their job.

that said, this year we have had four police officers shot in various towns. Just thinking out loud is this because people respect their authority less or just that people don't give a damn about trying to kill or maim another human being regardless of who or what they are.
who the fuck are these idiots that don't understand when to say enough and just accept their punishment.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I blame rap.

Actually it totally is a lack of respect for them as professionals and as people. Especially with minorities Rodney King incident went a long ways toward police distrust, and police have responded with increased force and generally flexing their muscles, all that does is to give the criminals a chance wo gain the trust of the population. If you look at very poor predominantly black inner city neigbor hoods and you ask a young kid what he wants to be one of the first jobs will be gangster, thats who they see out there being sucessful at the top of the food chain, nice clothes and flashy cars. Rap music in general has done nothing except reinforce the negative stereotype.

Police on the other hand are the ones responsible for arressting and taking away your dad who was just trying to make a living selling some harmless weed down the street. When the cops took your dad away is when all the problems started for your family, mom had to get a job, leaving you home alone, so you move back in with your grandama and your aunts and your 5 cousins, and you all share a 2 bedroom apartment with no AC. Then one day watching TV with your cousins you see a story about the police who beat somebody, and a few weeks later walking home from school a cop tackles some dude right in front of you. Couldnt have been the dudes fault, could it? I bet he was taking a nice leisurly stroll when the cops wanted to harrass him. Then one hot summer day you are sitting outside with soem friends on the stoop because not havig AC makes inside too hot to bear, the cops roll up and start asking you questions about your goings-on, but you dont asnwer them because thats what you have been taught to do, so the start to get a little physical with you, grab your arm just a little ahrd just to make it hurt when they single you out away from your friends. And then you struglle. So the cops rough you up because they are genuinelly scared for their lives.

Fast forward a few years and you have kids who live at home with their grandma and you go to jail and all they see is the cops take you away for trying to make a living selling some weed on the street corner.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Its an overall lack of mutual respect thoghout society
Teachers
Police
Parents
Elders

Police aren't going to get any special treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

The lack of respect for Police is really a combination of faults.

If they received better funding and didn't need to do stupid traffic citations and other retarded money making crimes to fund their operation all the time, they would be liked overall in the community a lot better. If they are out there stopping robbers/murders/molestors, instead of giving steve a speeding ticket for 55 in a 45

Also, they need to get rid of the little man syndrome people. The ones that let power go to their head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
The lack of respect for Police is really a combination of faults.

If they received better funding and didn't need to do stupid traffic citations and other retarded money making crimes to fund their operation all the time, they would be liked overall in the community a lot better. If they are out there stopping robbers/murders/molestors, instead of giving steve a speeding ticket for 55 in a 45

Also, they need to get rid of the little man syndrome people. The ones that let power go to their head.
Agreed on all counts.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Its an overall lack of mutual respect thoghout society
Teachers
Police
Parents
Elders

Police aren't going to get any special treatment
So true. And so sad, on all counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
If they received better funding and didn't need to do stupid traffic citations...
Eh, I can't agree with this part....

I don't enjoy a traffic ticket anymore than anyone else, BUT, I also don't fault the Cops in the least when I get them. Fact is, the law is the law - the speed limit is the speed limit, the red light is the red light, etc...

We all know full well when we're breaking traffic laws, but because we get away with it 99.99999999999999% of the time, we continue to do it, daily.

But then the one time we get pulled over for it, it's somehow the Cop's fault, for being stupid, or a jerk, or whatever? Nuh uh.... I take full responsibility for the tickets I've earned.

I agree there are bigger fish to fry, so to speak, but the fact remains, we make the CHOICE to do that 55 in a 45, etc.... and once in a while, we might get caught.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
So true. And so sad, on all counts.

Eh, I can't agree with this part....

I don't enjoy a traffic ticket anymore than anyone else, BUT, I also don't fault the Cops in the least when I get them. Fact is, the law is the law - the speed limit is the speed limit, the red light is the red light, etc...

We all know full well when we're breaking traffic laws, but because we get away with it 99.99999999999999% of the time, we continue to do it, daily.

But then the one time we get pulled over for it, it's somehow the Cop's fault, for being stupid, or a jerk, or whatever? Nuh uh.... I take full responsibility for the tickets I've earned.

I agree there are bigger fish to fry, so to speak, but the fact remains, we make the CHOICE to do that 55 in a 45, etc.... and once in a while, we might get caught.
Sorry but I don't agree with this "the law is the law" outlook. I used to think that way. But through research I've discovered policies about speeding and traffic flows. Speeding tickets are nothing more than a cash cow for the police that they must use to fund their department. They have to. The part that I get upset with is that it's under the guise of public safety. If tickets were handed out for actual unsafe procedures (following too closely, improper lane changes, etc.) I'd be much more lenient with this attitude.

Roads here are supposed to be re-evaluated every 5 years for speed and flow of traffic. Speeding at 5 over isn't going to kill anyone so don't tell me it's for public safety. It's to fund things. And if it were only about public safety there would be cops sitting right at the speed change line nailing people going 2 over when they cross that line.

Sorry....went off on a tangent there.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Sorry but I don't agree with this "the law is the law" outlook. I used to think that way. But through research I've discovered policies about speeding and traffic flows. Speeding tickets are nothing more than a cash cow for the police that they must use to fund their department. They have to. The part that I get upset with is that it's under the guise of public safety. If tickets were handed out for actual unsafe procedures (following too closely, improper lane changes, etc.) I'd be much more lenient with this attitude.

Roads here are supposed to be re-evaluated every 5 years for speed and flow of traffic. Speeding at 5 over isn't going to kill anyone so don't tell me it's for public safety. It's to fund things. And if it were only about public safety there would be cops sitting right at the speed change line nailing people going 2 over when they cross that line.

You don't have to apologize for having an opinion. And I still hold my stance on this.

I'm not arguing whether or not the laws SHOULD be what they are, it's that they ARE what they are, and we either choose to abide by them, or we don't. If we KNOW that the speed limit on a road is 45, and we choose to do 55 (God knows I do!), and then get a ticket? Well, we've gotta take our lumps.

To argue that we shouldn't get a ticket because we don't feel the law should be what it is is a totally different debate. And a moot one, since Traffic Cops don't WRITE the laws in the first place, they merely enforce them. So to hate COPS for the fact that there are stupid laws in place is kinda like shooting the messenger.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post

Well said and I agree 100%
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Its an overall lack of mutual respect thoughout society
Teachers
Police
Parents
Elders