Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #1
Frostz28
Redneck

Moto: 2005 GSXR 750
Default friend went down today

So I went for a ride with a new group today. Not a bad group to ride with a couple guys were a lot better and rode up front. They didn't get to crazy just rode a decent pace in the twisties and then slowed up and waited for the rest. Then there were a couple of guys who was a bit slower and one who had his girlfriend with him. We came into a section of twisties so me and three other guys were in front and hit em at a decent pace, again nothing dangerous or to crazy. One of the faster guys was bringing up the rear and apparently decided he wanted to be up front so he passed the slower guys to catch up. well something went wrong and he ran wide on a curve and put her down. The front group didn't see the crash but I knew something was wrong when the rest of the pack wasn't behind us so we turned around, apparently no one really saw it but when they got to him his legs were under the gaurdrail and his upper body was hanging over the top. (Like he was hugging it) He's ok a pretty busted up nose but otherwise hes going to be just fine. Just so you guys don't think hes a complete idiot I followed him for quite a while and he really could ride, good body position, took a good line, and seemed to be riding well with in his limits. Also he was wearing a jacket and helmet. Which brings me to my main question. He was wearing a helmet and said it was strapped but during the accident his helmet came off! it ended up in the corn field on the other side of the gaurd rail. How could that happen? Ive seen guys crash way harder and not lose their lid. could it have come undone? the only thing I can think of was that his helmet was SOOO big on him that it slipped off with the chin strap still done. Is that even possible though? I mean wouldn't it have to be so lose that it wouldn't be comfortable? It was a scorpion so it wasn't a super cheap helmet or anything. I was just about to order up and EXO1000 helmet this week but now Id like to get to the bottom of this first. I don't know who got to his lid first so I don't know if it was still strapped when they retrieved it from the field. Any of you guys ever heard of anything like this? or have any idea how it could have happened. personally I think if it was strapped on and the correct size he may have a lawsuit on his hands. I mean if the chin strap came undone that's gotta be a malfunction of some kind doesn't it? on a positive note when we got up to the town where they took him one of the guys (who wasn't wearing gear) asked me if I knew of any bike shops in the area. I took him over to a dealership and he bought 700 dollars worth of gear on the spot! he got a nice leather jacket and what seems to be a real decent joe rocket carbon fiber lid. Don't know much about JRs lids but I figgered any lid was better than none. So at least the accident turned one guy into a safer rider.

"Guys like me drink to many beers on Friday after work, our best blue jeans have skoal rings, we wear our boots to church"
Frostz28 is offline   Reply With Quote