Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Sports Bar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
You don't have to tell me shit about soccer. I played it through middle and high school. I also played Lacrosse. We didn't act nearly as much in lacrosse as we did in soccer.
Thats great, but so did i, and i've continued to play club after highschool, and just played yesterday. But conversely i've also refereed for 10 years, including regional club tournaments and semi-pro games.

and again, lacrosse, you carry sticks and wear pads, more similar to hockey than soccer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Bullshit.

It is acting and it has become more and more acceptable in soccer over the last decade or so and it sucks.

I'd guess that close to half the calls made in Professional soccer are from little or no contact.
Its not "acceptable". Nobody commends somebody on a good dive. Players know when its a dive, referee's know when its a dive, and fans know when its a dive. But without time-outs and instant replays you put a lot of weight on somebodys shoulder to make the right call. Most of the "acting" calls made arent done in scoring positions. Sometimes its better to just stop play and get things going again, because otherwise the player that doesnt get the call is gonna get pissed and may actually end up hurting somebody. Referee's are very cautious to make calls like that around the penalty area, and almost every time you see the referee make a call INSIDE the 18 you'll see him consult a linesman for a second opinion if there is any chance of a second doubt.

They're supposed to manage the game. They cant let things get out of control, and if they only called the most serious offenses things WILL get out of control. Its that simple. They've also got a lot of leeway with the clock as far as injury time goes. If you just watched the italy game you'd notice that the referee didnt call the game until paraguay cleared the ball.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote