Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R
Default A bike topic!

For the longest time, Buell sold a race ecm to go with their factory race kit. Unfortunately, when I bought my bike they stopped selling it to the general public and they also discontinued their race exhaust.

I managed to piece some stuff together over the last couple of years. I found the closest thing to a race pipe that I could. I installed a K&N. And all that was missing was that one last piece.

Since Erik Buell started his new company, he's been selling the old (DDFI2) race ecms to the public again without needing a race license. I had pretty much lost all hope of getting one for my 08 model because they went to the same FI setup as the 1125, and without Harley's cash I never expected them to finish a race kit for the 08+ bikes.

A couple months back, they started selling a race ecm for the 08+ bikes that went with the factory race pipe, if you could get your hands on one. I figured since my setup was close enough that I would just order one and be done with it. When I finally decided to do it, they were out of stock. I waited patiently and when they came back into stock they had a few new options. They actually had an ecm for my exact setup! I couldn't believe it so I ordered it right away.

It arrived today and took me forever to install because it's situated in a hard to reach spot.

I wasn't expecting the thing to wheelie through all five gears or anything, but I am pleasantly surprised by the performance increase. And I am extremely impressed by how much better it runs. I used to have to blip the throttle before I accelerated away from a stop so the bike didn't hiccup and try to stall. Now, it pulls like a freight train and revs so much smoother.

The only downside is, one of my HIDs isn't working now. I don't know if I wiggled a wire loose because I had to pivot down the headlight housing to get to the ecm. I'm going to tear into it again this weekend and try to sort it out. If I can't it's only about $25 for a replacement bulb and ballast.

I'd say it is by far the best $250 I've spent on my bike. Apparently this is how he intended for the bike to run from the start. However, EPA regulations tend to restrict all of our bikes.

Anyway, new race ecm = happy Tmall!
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote