Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4
Default Got a job....finally!

I just got hired by MRP Motorsports. http://www.mrpmotorsports.com/

He's the Baltimore area Race Tech distributor.
I'll be doing service writing and sales and helping to kickstart his internet business. He's applied for his dealer license and wants me to develop his used bike sales.

I started out renting some floorspace from Kenny to display a couple of bikes while I was unemployed to make some money to pay the mortgage, and we got along so well he hired me yesterday.

He caters to racers and trackday mavens; sets up, tunes and rebuilds suspensions (Race Tech, Penske and Ohlins). He has a complete dyno and computerized ega setup and is a whiz at tuning and diagnostics...he's a racer, himself. He's also an accomplished machinist and can fabricate just about anything.

He is a whiz at setting up Powercommanders and Bazzaz units.

I am going to learn a bunch and maybe have some FUN at work, too......and my wife is looking forward to a paycheck :biggrin

I've decided to jump into the moto world full bore...besides selling bikes, I've started up a "Motorcycle Coaching" service... I deal with newer riders and those that are having specific fear issues; either from a previous bad experience(s), or who have some specific obstacles to overcome.
I don't do the MSF BRC... I work with folks that have done the BRC , gotten there M endorsement and I build on the basic skills to get a rider from the parking lot to safely on the street. Sort of a fill-in between the BRC and the Advanced rider course. I do primarily private and semi-private sessions, but I am working on developing some seminars for the off-season, including bike storage; basic motorcycle service and adjustment, rain riding, long-distance bike and rider preparation, ect. I started out by answering a CL ad from a rider looking for help, and now I have about 8-9 "students".

Most of the folks I'm dealing with are women; they've either felt "rushed" through the BRC, or dropped a bike a time or two and gotten frustrated or fearful. My experience dealing teaching the population I did for so long has helped me to find strategies to help people overcome and deal with fear, which is usually the impeding element in most learning in a motivated student.

What the hell...I've been unemployed so long...I've got nothing to lose.....
Now, at least, I'll be doing the things I love................

Last edited by OTB; 06-30-2010 at 08:54 AM..
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote