Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...
Default Phishing...

Almost got me...

I just opened a bank account online through Bank of America earlier this week and have received a series of updates through email... account is processing, account approved, etc.

In setting up the account, I used my Chase account to send the initial opening deposit. I noted a couple of small credits from BoA to my Chase account - apparently verifying the account validity, etc.

Today I get a very official looking BoA email: "A Trial Deposit Has Been Successfully Made to Your Chase Bank, Checking Account‏"... Open it up, looks just like all the other BoA emails I get and there's detailed instructions on how to validate my opening deposit and a link. I click the link and it takes me to another very official looking BoA site... this site however, asks me for my name, DOB, and SSN... amongst other non-sensitive info.

I called BoA and the chick was pretty helpful... "don't put any information in that... it's a phishing scam... we already have your SSN so we would never ask for it again."

Clever bastards... how much they knew just from presumably accessing my hotmail account is frightening. And the detail of the email and website... I mean down to the URL was nearly spot on. If it wasn't for them asking for info I knew BoA already had, I totally would have put my shit in and ended buying flat screens in Nigeria on who knows how many credit cards.

OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote