Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
If you say so. I built a top of the line PC, with an i7 960, dual HD 5870 video cards, w/ 8gb/ram and a 10k/RPM HDD. I paid under 1000$ to build the tower. Motherboard, heatsink, fans, case, and got a free razer gaming mouse and KB with the deal. I already had the monitor.

The best Mac Desktop? They start at 2599$, right up to 5199$ CDN for the most powerful one, which is about half as powerful as the desktop I built. I could be real generous and and say 2/3 as powerful, but i'd be lying. It even uses a single two generation old HD 5770 Video card, and only 6gb ram.
Yay. You can build a really powerful PC for less than a Mac.

In the mid-range, where most people exist, a Mac Mini and a TV are cheaper, and more useful.

At the top end, where you've just described your penis-extension PC, replete with all its cooling fans, and cool graphics, what can you actually use it for? Playing cool games?

See, people who really need this kind of power (graphic artists, video editors, and music production houses), will buy a Mac, because that's what does these tasks. They are people who would rather GET SHIT DONE, than fuck with cheap PC parts, bad drivers, and incompatibilities. Their time is worth more than that.

My time is worth more than that, anymore; and here's the thing: It's not that I don't know how things work, or that I can't build the super-hyper-mega-ultra-penis-extender PC...I used to build and install entire fucking networks myself; build, load, and deploy a number of "white box" PCs in one shot. Another time, I built pre-configured music PCs (even sold one to someone at Lucent Labs).

I can build whatever I want. It just so happens, Apple makes exactly what I need, and for cheaper than I can build it, and it does more, and performs better.

...and I dare say most people would have the same user experience in the mid-range. It's not a matter of "not getting it", I get it just fine. Trip gets it just fine too. If you want a Hyundai that you have to assemble, have at it.

In this case, I'll buy the mid-range Beemer turn-key instead, and be quite happy.

I think most people would.