This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...
Default Drunk driver kills two, gets probation

[MRT] Odessa driver gets probation in intox manslaughter, assault

March 12, 2012 9:01 PM

ShareThis| Print Story | E-Mail Story

BY JAMES CANNON & KATHLEEN PETTY

Midland Reporter-Telegram

MIDLAND Jurors sentenced Joel Galindo Tavarez Jr. to a total of 10 years probation for two counts intoxication manslaughter and two counts intoxication assault in the October 2010 deaths of Perry Jeffery and Jenna Vela and injury to their two daughters.

Read more at MyWestTexas.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIDLAND A jury found Joel Tavarez guilty Friday on two counts of intoxication manslaughter and two counts of intoxication assault.

He was convicted in the Oct. 5, 2010 deaths of Jenna Vela, 21, and Perry Jeffrey, 23, and the injuries of the couple’s two daughters. The couple’s vehicle was hit head-on by Tavarez’s vehicle when he came at them heading west in the eastbound lane.

In testimony earlier Friday, Tavarez apologized to the victims’ families but said he did not believe alcohol was a factor in the crash.

“I’m sorry for the hurt that I have caused your family,” Tavarez said, while crying. “I did not mean for this to happen. I’m sorry.”

During closing arguments, Brian Carney, one of the defense attorneys, blamed Vela for not doing all she could to prevent the collision. He recounted testimony that Vela, an unlicensed driver, was looking in the back seat with the dome light on and was not paying attention to the road.
Assistant District Attorney Tim Flathers said this line of defense -- blaming the victim for not dodging her killer -- was “obscene.”

http://www.oaoa.com/news/counts-8360...oxication.html

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote