Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
The point is that low-index carbs such as brown rice don't trigger an insulin release nearly as much as cheaper carbs.

Your body needs glucose for energy. Carbs are more easily converted to glucose than fats or proteins. Probably why endurance athletes (ultras, etc.) replenish themselves with mostly carbs.

Yes, your body can produce energy from fat, thru ketosis (breaking down triglycerides), but it isn't as efficient as getting energy from carbs. If you're training or competing for a long period of time and you deplete those two sources of energy, your body will then start breaking down hard-earned muscle.

I just don't think low-index carbs like brown rice, lentils, oats etc. are anything to worry about, in moderation. They are much less likely than cheap carbs to spike insulin & increase your bodyfat. If you eliminate cheap carbs and just eat low-index ones, you will be doing more than 99.99% of people out there. Beyond that, the only other thing that might benefit is avoiding carbs in your last meal before bed...... but only for appearance reasons (getting cut) rather than performance.
So all this information flying around here is confusing me. Not even talking about competing or being a high level athlete, but just losing weight my diet should consist of what? Meats and vegetables with a very limited portion of low index carbs? But the meats can be a fatty cut like beef or pork? Right now until I get back to my old hockey "floating" weight I plan on doing something to this effect. After that, I may change it up a little bit to kick it into high training mode.

Breakfast
-4 whole eggs with a very light sprinkling of mozerella cheese
-1 cut of thick ham, lunchmeat style ham, or turkey bacon (apparently real bacon is ok now??? )

Snack 1
-1 small fuji apple

Lunch
-Pre-prepared lunch of grilled chicken, mixed vegetables, and a very small potion brown rice. Mixed together with chili pepper. OR Tuna pack with vegetables.
-1 cup greek yogurt

Snack 2
-1/4 cup of dry roasted, unsalted, peanuts

Dinner
- Meat/Fish of the day
-Fresh vegetable of the day
-4 Fish oil tablets
-1 Folic acid tablet
-1 Multi vitamin

Post Lifting
-12 fl oz 1% milk with whey or casein
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold