Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n
Default ... and so my shitty Friday continues

On Friday I ended up dealing with two issues, that were caused by other people's stupidity. I can handle when things just go wrong, but when someone actively screws up something he doesn't have a clue about?

The first was an issue with an antivirus programme. Said antivirus got a bad virus definition file, about a month back, that marked the programmes updater as a virus. It also marks any installation programmes and updaters as viral. No big deal, since it's still running. Takes about 2 minutes to fix it.

Unless someone uninstalls it. Then you have to reinstall Windows, because the manufacturer didn't come up with a mitigation process. Guess what someone did.

Then there's the issue with these systems we have, around campus, that display date, time, news, and advertisements both for on- and off-campus clients. We had some trouble getting a couple of them to update so techie boy from the programme's manufacturer remotes into them, to tweak them. For some reason he reboots one of them before he has reset the auto-login profile name. As a result he loses access and the system is just displaying a login screen. No problem. I go on-site and fix it. He then seems to have decided that he didn't like the drive letter assignment for some bizarre reason (no idea why, since it doesn't have any effect on the software's ability to run) and completely pooches the RAID array that acts as the secondary drive. At least I THINK that's what he's done.

And here I am spending yet another day, trying to recover from these two screw-ups.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote