Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Nope. Was close though. Me and 3 others from college said that if we didn't have full time employment within a month of graduating we would all go to Vegas and try our hands there.

I was the only one that had found a job I liked (working at a boat manufacturing plant).
They all packed up and left, and are all doing ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

get divorced before you leave.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

I feel ya man. I'm looking at 28 and still not sure what I want to do with my life.
I want a stabil "career" with the benifits and all that jazz, but I also want to do something I enjoy doing day in and day out.

Sadly, those two things are not the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

I upped and left a went to florida once. And then did it again when I went to Vegas, but i was with my husband then, so I dont' know if that counts. I don't have that many attachments at the moment, and I see myself doing it again, maybe a few times.

Does your wife know you plan on leaving without her? You can get divorced in vegas in 6 weeks...we have no jobs here but school is easy
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
Bluestreak
What?

Moto: Dirt

All of the answers you seek are at the bottom of the next pitcher of beer.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8

When I moved out of my Dad's house in Houston (17) I said fuck it and moved to Dallas not knowing anyone. Had 20 bucks in my pocket and a one way ticket. I lived there for about 2 years and ended up doing great. I then said F it again and moved to Omaha to be with my brother after his whore of a fiance crushed him. 6 months later moved to Denver to be with a girl... 6 months later went to school at KU (most my family lives within 2 hours of Lawrence) after that moved back to Dallas, then to Houston for a job then to Austin (best place so far) then back Denver (Boulder really) and now I am about to pack everything due to a GF which I have come to loath and move back to Dallas for school again... I can't express how much I enjoy moving to a new place and not knowing anyone and just starting over.
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
All of the answers you seek are at the bottom of the next pitcher of beer.
I like your style.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
OneNotSoSickPsycho
Squidliest

Moto: OSP

I've done it twice. First time was more of a learning experience, but the second time was definitely worth it. I couldn't be happier!

I'm back in school, have a great job with great money and hours, I'm good with family and friends, and I couldn't be happier with the love of my life.

I think its good to start over if you feel you should. Once you start over, you start with NOTHING, and it can only get better from there
Old 12-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

As someone who felt somewhat the same way AND lives in Alaska I can hopefully provide you with a little advice. When I was in college (Statesboro, GA) I broke up with the gf of many years and decided to give her most of the furniture, two cats and most of the things we bought together like furniture)

I found myself paying 650 a month rent for a big house that my room mates and my gf had moved out of (ei:lonely!), owning a car that didn't run and my bed was the only piece of furniture left. I hated life and everyone in that little town and resented it for all the of the things in my own life that had gone wrong. I went through ups and downs, often drinking nights away at home alone and feeling bad for myself. Eventually I woke up one morning so angry at my life that I decided that I was going to prove myself to everyone that looked down on me or had done me wrong. And that attitude fueled my fire!

Signed up at a gym, went to school full time, stop drinking and smoking SOLID and worked my ass off to get the fuck out of that town. 2 years later I had spaced away from most of the negatives in my life, gotten through school with honors, gotten healthier and met tons of new people through a new positive attitude that I had about me. Even saved up enough money to pay for school and buy my first motorcycle!

And then, once all the stars had aligned and I was set up to move to Savannah and start a management job with Walgreen. And I threw it all away and drove to Alaska with a friend in a last minute choice. My mom took my dog, car and bike and paid any bill she could until I got on my feet.

I had a fucking blast with no care in the world. Once I got here I did deal with many reality checks however. Finding a job in my little town of 800 people wasn't easy and I was dead broke with no car, cell phone, computer or group of friends. I went through a low point pondering why I had worked so hard in school only to throw it all away and come up here. Eventually the jobs worked themselves out and I was able to start paying my mom back and covering my own bills. It ended up being the greatest choice of my entire life and I have to thank my mom for telling me to do it and offering to help me. Without her I might own a nice house in Savannah and a new car but I would always regret not doing the trip.

I went home to Atlanta to gather all of my things last winter and then drove up here again with the intention of staying here for a while. It is an amazing place which can't be understood until you experience it. But do not think that this place is full of distractions! You need to be in a right mind no matter where you move. Alaska is dangerous in the sense that people come up here and are free to think and do as they please. Many many many people come up here and completely lose it because there is no reality check. The long days in the summer are amazing and the long winter evenings are gorgeous but tough on the mind. Because I didn't want to live in a big city, I am dealing with the consequences. I am LUCKY to have a 9.00 an hour job in which I work 3 days a week. I live in a cabin with no running water and I share it with 2 other friends. We basically live in one small room. It isn't easy some days but we keep sane thanks to each of us having our own jobs.

My case is unique because I chose to live in a town that profits through summer time tourism, once winter hits it just closes right up. I am so fortunate to have a job and I have to remember that. You could move to bigger towns and find work, but I think you will find more disappointment unless you solve the things truly bothering you in life.

Next winter I hope to move to Anchorage and get a certification in welding or diesel mechanics so that I can get a better job around the state. I sort of refuse to put on a tie and go to work with my Management degree. Some might call that stupid, but I have learned to do something you WANT to do. I hope to pursue that and eventually buy land and own all the fun toys I dream of. But for now I walk outside when its -20 to take a leak and I go to a neighboring cabin to get water, dump or cook. My internet is boosted from my landlord who lives about 60 yards away or otherwise I would be reading a book instead of typing this up.

Don't just up and leave. It can be a beautiful idea to the imagination but it won't do much for your real world experience. Close up the marriage properly and figure out your debts (like selling the house via divorce or what not) and then proceed from there.

Your options for schools aren't many at all. It would either be Anchorage or Fairbanks for your education.

I don't mean to discourage you from moving to Alaska but rather to let you know that moving up here won't actually solve any of the core problems.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
As someone who felt somewhat the same way AND lives in Alaska I can hopefully provide you with a little advice.

Next winter I hope to move to Anchorage and get a certification in welding or diesel mechanics so that I can get a better job around the state. I sort of refuse to put on a tie and go to work with my Management degree. Some might call that stupid, but I have learned to do something you WANT to do. I hope to pursue that and eventually buy land and own all the fun toys I dream of. But for now I walk outside when its -20 to take a leak and I go to a neighboring cabin to get water, dump or cook. My internet is boosted from my landlord who lives about 60 yards away or otherwise I would be reading a book instead of typing this up.
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you're an erector set and a bottle of aspirin away from becoming the next Unabomber.

JC