Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #21
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Your whole life, I mean? Your job, your home, your significant other, everything. A total "fuck it, I'm gone, no plan" type decision?

When I left my lovely hometown of Flint, Michigan five years ago, I had plans of starting a new life in southern Florida. Had some housing lined up and some job leads before I left. I lasted eight days in Florida before I packed my shit back into the truck and headed for north Georgia, where I had NO job leads, no family, and the only person I knew was a girl I had slept with on my trip down to Florida. I was alone with nothing, and in reflection, it was one of the most satisfying adventures of my life.

I'm stagnating again. My degree could still be miles off, my job makes me want to execute people, and my marriage feels like cancer.

Color me McCandless; Alaska's calling.
I moved from Saginaw, Michigan to Virginia Beach, Va....Best thing since my kids.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #22
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I remember how screwed up I was after one tour of Vietnam. I don't know how these servicemen and women can do multiple tours of Iraq and Afghanistan. Anyway, after I got out I wanted to go to school under the GI bill. But I didn't know what to take.

I had a great adviser at my community college. Can't remember his name, but he was blind. I would sit there and pet his dog while he asked me what I wanted to be or do. I had no idea so he put me in a nursing program so I could collect unemployment. I told him that I liked that there were a lot of women in the classes, but after seeing what my medic friend did, I told the adviser that I wanted to do something else.

He had just gotten some tests and made me take them. The Myers-Briggs personality test was a waste to me, but the other new test about my interests was a winner. I googled it and believe it was the Campbell Interest and Skill Survey (CISS). My highest interest back in 1972 was Forest Ranger.

So I took a bunch of science classes and found out I really liked geology. I got a BS in Geology, moved out west, and worked in mining and exploration. It was the best thing I ever did. Enjoyed working outdoors, made a bunch of money, and retired young. Thanks to a blind adviser and a simple test.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #23
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Seems to be a pattern here. I left MI 16 years ago.

Is there anyone besides Gasman and the dude from GR left?

Sorry for the jack.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #24
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

After all these years, in my honest opinion....

Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #25
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I went to Korea for two years on about 2 weeks notice ( had looked into it for a month, decided to go a week before I went) I wasn't leaving a signifigant other behind as we had just broke up and I knew I needed to get away.

It was the best thing for me to do, but I had nothing holding me there.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #26
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

I don't care what you do. Nobody else probably does either. You have to do what is best for you.

I will say this though. You are married whether you like it or not. Even if she's a bitch, your marriage is in the toilet, and you hate everything the wedding vows you took stand for, she is still a part of your life, like it or not, and it's not being fair at all to her if you up and leave without so much as a divorce, screw you, I'm out of here.

I feel bad for her and I don't. She probably knew what she was getting with you. She shouldn't be surprised. At the same time, she does have time invested in you that you don't really give much of a care about obviously.

Having said that, I hope you find what you're looking for out there.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #27
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

I almost did, then found out I was going to be a father. Still had to move away from the town I was in, but couldn't leave a child behind so I only moved an hour away. Bounced around a tiny bit trying to get settled, but spent a lot of time driving back and forth to see my little girl. Now I'm back in the town I left, just so I can see my angel more often and not hassle with the drive. I'll probably be here for at least another 14 years. Would be great if she wants to go to school someplace warm so I can move out of here and still be close to her.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #28
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I'm 39. I had more success at 27 than I have had in the last 12 years. I am in my 4th midlife crisis and currently looking for a 20 sumthing nympho to ride out until retirement.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #29
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
.....Anyway i wound up living in a 2 bedroom apartment in manhattan for 6 months that only had inflatable furniture with some girl I met and 4 of her friends. .....
The furniture wasn't all that was inflatable. lol

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #30
Cory
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
Seems to be a pattern here. I left MI 16 years ago.

Is there anyone besides Gasman and the dude from GR left?
ME
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote