Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Friction from rubbing the plates, heat cycles, weather, dirt, sun bathing and so on.

If you want to buy a new chain and never lube it to do a test then do it. Make a short vid everyday.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Friction from rubbing the plates, heat cycles, weather, dirt, sun bathing and so on.

If you want to buy a new chain and never lube it to do a test then do it. Make a short vid everyday.

I dunno about all you scientific experts and stuff, but I was laways taught that a chain needed to be lubed, I've never had an issue or short life with a chain that I've installed.

The only 2 chains that I've installed that needed changing both lasted over 20k so I was happy with that. The other chains, have had the bike replaced before the chain.

My method, spray the chain after riding in the rain or though lots of puddles, also spray when I remember to spray it, leave the chain just a little on the loose side, adjust it as needed usually around 3-4 thousand miles, clean it off with a rag once in a while.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Just to clarify. I'm not saying don't lube your chain. I'm just saying that most of the protection is already there.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

A LOT of offroad riders and dualsport riders don't lube their chain due to 1. like Tsmall said, the lube is already there and 2. the lube just make dirt and grime stick to the chain wearing it out faster.

I've had two chains on the DRZ in 21000 miles and I cleaned/lubed them once a week.

a fellow DRZ rider down here only rides off road but has about 10000 on his chain never lubed... just cleaned...

YMMV
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
A LOT of offroad riders and dualsport riders don't lube their chain due to 1. like Tsmall said, the lube is already there and 2. the lube just make dirt and grime stick to the chain wearing it out faster.

I've had two chains on the DRZ in 21000 miles and I cleaned/lubed them once a week.

a fellow DRZ rider down here only rides off road but has about 10000 on his chain never lubed... just cleaned...

YMMV
Actually I lube it at least twice a day out at the track. I use non-o ring chains and there is no perma-lube. If I don't lube the chain, the heat causes bad stretching and sharks my rear sprockets something bad. I have a thread in the dirt forum about my last sprocket and out 49 teeth it was supposed to have, ended up with only 13.

I recommend lube but I also recommend a "grunge" brush specifically for chains and religious cleaning of them as well.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

And here is a good write up on how different solvents effect o-rings in a chain.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

I think I've lubed mine a total of 3 times in 13k Miles. So far so good...Although I think my clutch is on its way out.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
I think I've lubed mine a total of 3 times in 13k Miles. So far so good...Although I think my clutch is on its way out.
The clutch is just the way your ride, If I remember correctly, your bike only has like 30k on it
Old 02-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Lol...I wish I had 30k on it.

It has 13...But Ive taken it to the Dragstrip a half dozen times...Getting the hang of launching it and slipping the clutch out without hurting it is something I didnt get the hang of immediately. But I know I was rough on her for most of those 13 thousand miles.

I dont however wanna get assfucked by a dealer fixing it...I've never done a clutch in a car let alone a bike so I'd have no idea where to begin.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
Lol...I wish I had 30k on it.

It has 13...But Ive taken it to the Dragstrip a half dozen times...Getting the hang of launching it and slipping the clutch out without hurting it is something I didnt get the hang of immediately. But I know I was rough on her for most of those 13 thousand miles.

I dont however wanna get assfucked by a dealer fixing it...I've never done a clutch in a car let alone a bike so I'd have no idea where to begin.
http://www.repairmanualclub.com/motomanuals/
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote