07-31-2013, 04:06 PM | #21 | |
This is not the sig line.
Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...
|
Quote:
And that was the problem exactly. They provided us with an antenna tuner, and it was crap. You'd watch the SWR meter and the needle would just sit there laughing at you.
This was no time for half measures. He was a captain, godsdammit. An officer. Things like this didn't present a problem for an officer. Officers had a tried and tested way of solving problems like this. It was called a sergeant. -Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards! |
|
08-03-2013, 07:54 AM | #22 | |
Custom User Title
Moto: 2003 SV650S
|
Quote:
I put a max of 140 watts or so into the tuner I have - it is supposedly rated for 300 but I'm guessing it'd start to arc badly at close to 215 or so.
08-08-2013, 09:32 PM | #23 | |
This is not the sig line.
Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...
|
Quote:
This was back in the '90's. When I was re-activated in '09, the military had pretty much gone strictly to SATCOM for long range comms. Worked great in the sandbox and I was glad to have it, but it's gonna hit us in the feels if we ever try to fight a war in trees again. NO ONE will know how to bounce a sky wave. I understand they have a few volunteer-run SATCOM projects for ham operators now. That's kinda crazy.
This was no time for half measures. He was a captain, godsdammit. An officer. Things like this didn't present a problem for an officer. Officers had a tried and tested way of solving problems like this. It was called a sergeant. -Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards! Last edited by fatbuckRTO; 08-08-2013 at 09:36 PM.. |
|
08-09-2013, 12:34 PM | #24 |
Custom User Title
Moto: 2003 SV650S
|
HF is the spectrum between 3 and 30 MHz for those just tuning in
1/8 wave kinda for some frequencies though stunted to all hell without a counterpoise. Damn inefficient. At 20 watts with one of those, you're lucky if you're getting a couple watts to actually radiate you're lucky You were probably better off with the speaker wire though depending on the frequencies you're working on, you may have been warming the clouds above you w/NVIS if you didn't have any height! The have been Ham ops involved for years as part of the MARS programs. SatCom was just a natural progression. Guess what my hobby is lol
08-09-2013, 03:13 PM | #25 |
Clit Commander
Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S
|
We need to look towards some foreign armed services for uniform inspiration. Let us wear some fucking shorts! T-shirts with rank/name on them? Sure! Morale increased 500%.
08-09-2013, 06:13 PM | #26 |
Nomadic Tribesman
Moto: '09 ER-6n
|
You need to go back over to Cycleforums and look up some of the pics of female Israeli military members, posted by a certain member.
08-10-2013, 01:37 AM | #27 |
Perpetual trouble
Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR
|
...or coveralls as a uniform for maintenance, not just authorized in the industrial area, but an actual not bullshit uniform...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!" |
Bookmarks |
|
|