Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #91
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
The whole idea of the death penalty, (which I'm for) or in this case, the "instant death penalty", being a deterrent is bogus.

"For 2007, the average Murder Rate of Death Penalty States was 5.5, while the average Murder Rate of States without the Death Penalty was 3.1"

Why? Because the type of people who are inclined to kill people during the commission of a crime, are fucking idiots. They either don't consider the consequences, or don't a give a fuck.

No law you could impose, is going to make these people any smarter. It would, as you pointed out, probably drive the Murder rate up, instead of down.

JC
While I'd like to think it's a deterrent, I'm okay if all it does is remove scum from the human population on earth.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #92
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:

Given the obvious premeditation in this case, the pharmacist would be a fool not to raise this defense.

JC

Let them roll the dice on a murder 1 charge. You will never get 12 jurors to convict. The pharmacist should plead not guilty to the grave. The fact that the kid that was shot had no gun doesn't make a shit of difference. You do know that there have been instances where people kill people with their bare hands? You don't need a fucking weapon present to be fearful of your life.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #93
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
While I'd like to think it's a deterrent, I'm okay if all it does is remove scum from the human population on earth.
That exactly why I'm for it.

My position has always been that the death penalty may not be an effective deterrent to everyone, but it works pretty damn good on the people it's applied to.

JC
Old 06-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #94
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
That exactly why I'm for it.

My position has always been that the death penalty may not be an effective deterrent to everyone, but it works pretty damn good on the people it's applied to.

JC
And for that reason should only be used in truly heinous cases ('special circumstances', murder of a law enforcement officer, etc.), or with offenders who are at serious risk of re-offending (serial killers, etc.).

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #95
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
And for that reason should only be used in truly heinous cases ('special circumstances', murder of a law enforcement officer, etc.), or with offenders who are at serious risk of re-offending (serial killers, etc.).
That's ALL of them.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #96
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
I'm okay with just plain murders, But in general I'd like their cases be clear cut, and not based on circumstantial evidence.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #97
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
That's ALL of them.
You would have a very hard time demonstrating that theory. Most murders are committed by someone who knows the victim and has had a great deal of time to work up to it. Every killer isn't a serial killer (though some of the things that I'm seeing from kids these days make me think that we're raising a generation of sociopaths).

Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #98
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
You would have a very hard time demonstrating that theory. Most murders are committed by someone who knows the victim and has had a great deal of time to work up to it. Every killer isn't a serial killer (though some of the things that I'm seeing from kids these days make me think that we're raising a generation of sociopaths).
Don't need to prove it. Put them in the chair and flip the switch and be done with it.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #99
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Let them roll the dice on a murder 1 charge. You will never get 12 jurors to convict. The pharmacist should plead not guilty to the grave. The fact that the kid that was shot had no gun doesn't make a shit of difference. You do know that there have been instances where people kill people with their bare hands? You don't need a fucking weapon present to be fearful of your life.
It doesn't really matter if he pleads not guilty, the prosecutor can amend the charge to include the lessor charge anyway, (if I'm reading this right).

JC
Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #100
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Don't need to prove it. Put them in the chair and flip the switch and be done with it.
Next step: Do away with the trial and just fry their asses because they've been accused.