Old 02-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #91
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
So, let's recap.

No recall.

Not forced to pay 1.5 times retail book.

They were approached by the NHTSA, and decided to stay ahead of the curve.

Sounds like good management to me. When's the last time GM paid out 1.5 times book, for a faulty vehicle?

I'll take never for a thousand please, Alex.

JC
If Toyota CONTACTED YOU DIRECTLY VIA A LETTER...IT WAS A RECALL. That is the only way legally they could have contacted you.

The Tacoma frame issue complaints were from 1995 through 2001 and only until NHTSA began investigating the Tundras did Toyota so something about the Tacomas. I really don't understand what you are missing here. If NHTSA did not investigate the Tundras, you would have gotton nothing.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 02-03-2010 at 03:16 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #92
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
If Toyota CONTACTED YOU DIRECTLY VIA A LETTER...IT WAS A RECALL. That is the only way legally they could have contacted you.

The Tacoma frame issue complaints were from 1995 through 2001 and only until NHTSA began investigating the Tundras did Toyota so something about the Tacomas. I really don't understand what you are missing here. If NHTSA did not investigate the Tundras, you would have gotton nothing.
Maybe we're both idiots, but I'm missing what you're trying to say too. The NHSTA tracks recalls, whether as you assert they actually create them or not. I did a search on the NHSTA website for any and all recalls to 2001 Tacomas and found nothing to do with frames. Feel free to do so yourself.

http://www.recalls.gov/

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #93
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:

YELLING LOUDER WON'T MAKE IT TRUE.

You could try it in a different language maybe. Or how about a fancy new font?

IT VAS EIN RECALL!!!

Hmm. Nope, still not true.

Skywriter? Maybe that would make it true?

JC
Old 02-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #94
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Maybe we're both idiots, but I'm missing what you're trying to say too. The NHSTA tracks recalls, whether as you assert they actually create them or not. I did a search on the NHSTA website for any and all recalls to 2001 Tacomas and found nothing to do with frames. Feel free to do so yourself.

http://www.recalls.gov/
Call up a Toyota dealer and ask them for any campaign or bulletin referring to frame cracking or rust on your model truck.

I'm not sure what NTSHA puts on their website. Remember, this is govt. agency. I actually trust Toyota more than most govt. agencies.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 02-03-2010 at 04:22 PM..
Old 02-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #95
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:

IT VAS EIN RECALL!!!

JC
It was most likely a voluntary recall, but a recall nontheless. How do you think they contacted you if it wasn't a recall? An OEM cannot locate customers and ask them to come back to the dealer to fix their vehicle or buy it back unless there was a written recall/campaign letter with government notification.

Every documented safety related OEM issue HAS to legally be reported to NHTSA. Has to, though is the key. Toyota never reported the Tacoma issue only until the Tundras were investigated.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 02-03-2010 at 04:21 PM..
Old 02-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #96
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

He was saying that it was voluntary all along, while you were saying they were forced to do it. The NHTSA puts all official recalls up in that database.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #97
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
It was most likely a voluntary recall, but a recall nontheless. How do you think they contacted you if it wasn't a recall? An OEM cannot locate customers and ask them to come back to the dealer to fix their vehicle or buy it back unless there was a written recall/campaign letter with government notification.

Every documented safety related OEM issue HAS to legally be reported to NHTSA. Has to, though is the key. Toyota never reported the Tacoma issue only until the Tundras were investigated.
Dude, now your just fucking babbling.

If Toyota never reported the Tacoma issue, how could they have contacted me without the Government notification you just said they have to have? Seems to be a bit of a contradiction, don't you think?

What they did do, was send me a letter explaining the possibility of a problem, along with an extension on the truck's warranty, and an offer to inspect it. After the inspection, they gave me a big fat check.

Is this was the result of realizing they might have the same problems with the Tacoma, as they did with the Tundra, then good on them for being pro-active.

Again, for the eleventy-billionth time, no recall. Zip, nada, bumpkiss, zero.

So either show me the recall, or for the love of fucking God, STFU already.

You're just pissed that GM, or Saturn or Mitsubishi, or any of the other shit box makers you've worked for, never had the sense to do what Toyota did for me: The right thing.

JC
Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #98
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
It's simple....more jobs HERE if everyone bought GM, Ford and Chysler.
Quote:
Uhhhh...the engineering and the parts pieces. Vehicle assembly is only piece to the vehicle cost.

The engineering and manufacturing of the individual vehicle pieces on American cars are manily from American vendors.
Would you mind paying double your portion of the bailout money, and I'll not pay mine?

You're so American and noble, it only makes sense. Thanks.
Quote:

IT VAS EIN RECALL!!!

JC
fucking perfect. Nice.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #99
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Edited...below.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 02-04-2010 at 11:59 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #100
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Dude, now your just fucking babbling.

If Toyota never reported the Tacoma issue, how could they have contacted me without the Government notification you just said they have to have? Seems to be a bit of a contradiction, don't you think?...
Well low and behold (this is typical of this company to not assign blame to themselves) they never reported it, never made a recall and never made a bulletin (even though NTHSA is investigating the Tundra and I'm wondering if they will force a written recall...time will tell). What they did is extend the frame rust perforation to 15 years. BUT...they contacted you which the dude who validates our Owners Manual said that is not legal unless a campaign/recall was written IF the customer was the original owner. I'm going to ask our compliance guy about this. Sounds real real snake like, which as I've said is typical of Toyota. I mean it's one thing to extend the rust through warranty, but another to not release a mandatory recall, but offer you 1.5 times the value of the vehicle. What are we trying to hide here? Hmmmmm

Read on....

"Hi, folks, your friends at Toyota Motor Sales, here. We thought that we should bring to your attention a customer support program we’re announcing today to extend warranty coverage on the frames of Toyota Tacoma trucks from model year 1995 through 2000.

We’ve received reports that on a small number of Tacomas, frames may develop corrosion that goes beyond the normal surface rust that’s commonly found on metal after years of exposure. This corrosion may extend to actual perforation of the frame’s metal.

In response, we’re extending the rust-perforation warranty covering these trucks for a period of 15 years from each vehicle’s original date of purchase, with no mileage limitation, for corrosion that results in perforation of the vehicle’s frame material.

If you own one of these vehicles and you find that its frame may exhibit excessive corrosion to the point of metal perforation, we suggest that you take it to a Toyota dealership when you receive your notification letter so that it can be inspected. If inspection confirms frame corrosion damage perforation, we will either repair the vehicle or repurchase it.

Keep in mind that this is not a recall. Rather, it’s an example of our commitment to our owners.

For a more detailed explanation of the situation, and of our repurchase program, please visit Toyota’s Open Road at http://blogs.toyota.com.

- OpenRoadMaster"

"
Quote:
.....You're just pissed that GM, or Saturn or Mitsubishi, or any of the other shit box makers you've worked for, never had the sense to do what Toyota did for me: The right thing.

JC
They avoided a recall....for now. We will see after the Tundra investigation is over whether the recall extends to the Tacoma.

What does it take to see that this company paid you to shut up? Unless you are just too stupid to see it....but why would you care they gave you more then the heap was worth.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 02-04-2010 at 11:58 PM..