Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #91
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
umm.. on top of a pension from a real job, an extra 500$/month is a nice bonus. Its not like volunteers have to be there everyday for 12 hours.

Its over half the payment of a Camaro, and thats a nice retirement gift to yourself. I dont imagine he plans on living on 500/month when he retires.
True, but being a volunteer firefighter is a pretty substantial commitment, with many qualifications/standards to meet. I'd have expected more than $500/mo after doing that for 20 years.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #92
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Yet you hurl personal insults like a child. I know they say when you teach you learn but I didn't think it was from the kids.

Do you think that other people in other professions don't work hard hours like that? Your average CEO and even doctors would dream of a 60-70 hour work week. How many people do you think come home and just forget their work until they clock in the next day? How many people travel for weeks on end for projects outside of their area. When I moved pool tables one thing I noticed is just about every house had an office. Why have an office if you "just go home" unlike teachers.

Our school systems are failing miserably and America is the laughingstock of the other countries when it comes to education. Oddly enough our colleges are top notch which draws students from around the world. College teachers are not paid much better than public school teachers (and they HAVE to have much greater knowledge than a simple education degree). They still aren't paid as good as some Union monkey at a GM assemly plant but that's another subject.

I'd be more open to teachers getting better pay IF they can turn the education system around. You don't do it by demanding more money, you do it through hard work and working with the people above you for realistic solutoins. After that, then you demand more money and rightfully so.

I'm not claiming other professions don't work hard or only work 40 hours a week so stop putting words in my mouth.

Actually, nevermind. This is not a discussion or debate with you...it's a pissing match where you are so blatantly misled by the actions of a few to determine the hearts of many that it's not worth it.

But like goof said, teachers are paid what the market "bears" so to speak. No one gets into teaching thinking they're going to make it rich.

Oh and call ONE of my degrees a simple degree again and.....goddamnit I almost got caught on that one. I can't win a pissing match with you....you've got the advantage of a hose to aim your fire.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #93
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Blame the government
Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #94
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I'm not claiming other professions don't work hard or only work 40 hours a week so stop putting words in my mouth.

Actually, nevermind. This is not a discussion or debate with you...it's a pissing match where you are so blatantly misled by the actions of a few to determine the hearts of many that it's not worth it.

But like goof said, teachers are paid what the market "bears" so to speak. No one gets into teaching thinking they're going to make it rich.

Oh and call ONE of my degrees a simple degree again and.....goddamnit I almost got caught on that one. I can't win a pissing match with you....you've got the advantage of a hose to aim your fire.
No worries, if it were really as easy as he claims, he'd be doing it instead of what he does for a living.

He's also the kind of guy who will say, "You'd better not raise my taxes" and when questioned about his tax rate, he lets slip that he doesn't actually pay anything into the system.. Go figure.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #95
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Yet you hurl personal insults like a child. I know they say when you teach you learn but I didn't think it was from the kids.

Do you think that other people in other professions don't work hard hours like that? Your average CEO and even doctors would dream of a 60-70 hour work week. How many people do you think come home and just forget their work until they clock in the next day? How many people travel for weeks on end for projects outside of their area. When I moved pool tables one thing I noticed is just about every house had an office. Why have an office if you "just go home" unlike teachers.

Our school systems are failing miserably and America is the laughingstock of the other countries when it comes to education. Oddly enough our colleges are top notch which draws students from around the world. College teachers are not paid much better than public school teachers (and they HAVE to have much greater knowledge than a simple education degree). They still aren't paid as good as some Union monkey at a GM assemly plant but that's another subject.

I'd be more open to teachers getting better pay IF they can turn the education system around. You don't do it by demanding more money, you do it through hard work and working with the people above you for realistic solutoins. After that, then you demand more money and rightfully so.
Odd that you picked two of the most "out there" professional positions to compare to. CEOs get insane levels of compensation, and so should be expected to work long hours. In many cases thought that "work" involves spending time at a resort for meetings, or attending social functions. CEO compensation could be said to be a driving force behind the recent financial meltdown.

The hours that an intern puts in are stupidly long, for little effective compensation. This is considers a paying of dues in order to get into the profession, after which they receive relatively high levels of compensation. There have been a rather large number of articles written, over the years, suggesting that the method of internship should be changed because it results in far to many medical mistakes, even deaths, because the interns are operating on little or no sleep for extended periods.

If you're doing work that you aren't compensated for then that's your issue. I've been there, myself, putting in several thousand dollars worth of uncompensated overtime while setting up for a government project because I was "management." That was my problem and I took corrective steps, when it all came down.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #96
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
What does "deserve" have to do with it? Teachers are paid what the market will bear. With pay where it is there are already more teachers than teaching positions. Teachers unions are supposed to be working to increase teachers' pay but appear to be completely incompetent. As long as teachers work for the pay they currently receive that pay isn't going to significantly increase.

Good post.
Applicable for just about every job (though the union part may not apply for all)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #97
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post

Words in your mouth? The main argument you made about why teachers need more pay is that they "Work a bagillion hours a week" despite they get paid for 40. Newsflash, so does everyone else who is paid salary.

Teachers remind me of the models you see in exotic destinations bitching about how "hard" it is being a model. The truth is many teahcers have no concept of hard, mainly becuase they've gone to school their entire life and are essentially going back to school for the rest of their life. The fact they they have some responsibility makes them think they have it hard. Also, if it is so fucking hard and the pay sucks so much then why is their an overabundance of teachers? I don't believe there is an overabundance of mechanical engineers and I think they average about 50k (and they have a REAL degree) which is also close to a teacher's average pay.

You do have an education degree don't you? No suprise.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #98
shmike
Follower

Go Smittie!

We had a similar discussion on a local board a while back.

I am going to share some thoughts from a local mechanic-turned-teacher:

Quote:
I turned wrenches for 15 years and just recently started teaching. And with all these pitfalls, it beats the shit out of actually working for a living My biggest gripe is the attitudes of some of these students. I was amazed at how many students go to school everyday and don't do ANYTHING and fail every single one of their classes Why the fuck go to school if you are going to fail just go get your GED or get a job.

Quote:
I gotta back **** up on this one. Being a mechanic for so many years, you definitely have to put in your time. When I went to work at the school that I am at, I was somewhat appauled at attitudes of some of the teachers.

Granted, the kids can get on your nerves, and the faculty doesn't back you up, but, come on I've been working my ass off for years trying to earn a decent pay check. Now I have a job where I just have be able to relay my knowledge unto a bunch of students, get weekends off (a rarity in dealerships today), spring break, summer off PAID, Christmas and New Years, and ALL the holidays off. SHIT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS...and if I put in a little extra effort, that's because I want to know that I am doing a good job.

Pardon me know while I get back to last day of a LONG summer of drinking before I go back to work tommorrow.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #99
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Words in your mouth? The main argument you made about why teachers need more pay is that they "Work a bagillion hours a week" despite they get paid for 40. Newsflash, so does everyone else who is paid salary.

Teachers remind me of the models you see in exotic destinations bitching about how "hard" it is being a model. The truth is many teahcers have no concept of hard, mainly becuase they've gone to school their entire life and are essentially going back to school for the rest of their life. The fact they they have some responsibility makes them think they have it hard. Also, if it is so fucking hard and the pay sucks so much then why is their an overabundance of teachers? I don't believe there is an overabundance of mechanical engineers and I think they average about 50k (and they have a REAL degree) which is also close to a teacher's average pay.

You do have an education degree don't you? No suprise.
For what it's worth to you, I have an
Undergraduate degree in something
Completely unrelated to teaching.
Knowing that I wanted to teach, I went back to school for my M Ed.

You seem to think I made a bunch of arguments, I just refuted yours.
Others have made the arguments, both for and against.
Unsurprisingly, you are young and lack any glimmer of the real world.

CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #100
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

learnin iz hard
teachin iz weak
man jobz harderz than lady jobz
teachin iz lady jobs
if no callouses...iz lady job

educatin overrated...they make you takes classes you don't use on the job so dey useless.

i have no point to post
i looking for threads to post in and this one has stuff bout stuff so i post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote