So I guess you are old and wierd.
Glad we cleared that up
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #92
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
So if a parent hated that their child had joined the military, and then was killed while serving, should that soldier/sailer/airman not get a military funeral and insist that none of his/her friends and brothers/sisters in arms wear Class A's to the funeral?
You beat me to it... In fact, many parents end up blaming their military when their children get killed but change their minds when they see the respect that the military gives their fallen child. I was on honor guard for awhile...

The thing is, I have ridden to well over a dozen funerals and it is why I keep very few riding buddies anymore. Quite frankly, almost every bike related funeral I've been to in my almost 30 years of riding, resulted in a group ride to the cemetery. Most "riders" would want it that way, I know that I do. If someone in my family can't understand that this is my wish then they must have no known me very well. BTW I believe that funerals should be for honoring the dead and what they loved, accomplished, stood for, etc. Personally, I hate funerals and plan for the next one I attend to be my own. FWIW my Dad died of cancer and every one stood outside the church smoking...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #93
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
If the family doesn't want me to ride I wont. A funeral is about respect for the family, not about making a statement.
Oh if someone goes JUST to make some stupid "statement" then no but if you don't ride to my funeral because someone in my family won't like it I'll haunt you! I still disagree that the funeral is about the family, it's about saying goodbye and honoring your friend. I still would do as the deceased would want me to and damn the nay sayers. That's just how I feel. If you were on your death bed and asked me to come to your funeral in boy shorts and a tank top I would.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #94
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

If the family is distraught over how their loved one died and don't want to see anything bike-related at the funeral, then it would be prudent mot to torture them with the presence of such?

A funeral is a solemn event; not geared to demonstrations. Might I suggest that the proper way to "honour" a fallen fellow rider is a wake, not some put-up show at the funeral?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #95
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
If the family is distraught over how their loved one died and don't want to see anything bike-related at the funeral, then it would be prudent mot to torture them with the presence of such?

A funeral is a solemn event; not geared to demonstrations. Might I suggest that the proper way to "honour" a fallen fellow rider is a wake, not some put-up show at the funeral?
Hey it's an opinion piece not a debate over the "rules", I will play it however it needs to be played but here's how it works for me,

1. the deceased wishes (if known)

2. the family's wishes (if known)

3. what I "feel" is the right thing to do

4-71 a bunch of crap

72. what people who don't know me or my friends think- ie you.

Whenever, there has been a funeral ride, the "best friend" is usually the one who organizes it. Because I have belonged to numerous bike clubs over the years, it's basically expected for there to be a ride to honor a fallen brother. Again, just because a comrade in arms family is upset with the military, wouldn't stop me from going to the funeral in uniform. The same principle applies here. This is not about "making a statement or demonstration", it is about honoring a fallen comrade. If it were his wish for us to ride to the funeral, I would...bottom line. Some one else said it but, "If he were hit by or died in a car, would no one be allowed to drive to the funeral?" I take these things very seriously and would look at it from all angles if I were in charge of organizing the ride. I have done a "wake-type" ride and I have organized 100 rider plus rides to the funeral. It all depends on the circumstances. FWIW I have been in this exact position and we had the ride anyway. Afterwards, the mother thanked us for not listening to her in her grief and acknowledged that it was exactly as her son would have wished. Some people just own bikes and for some people it's a way of life...