Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #91
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
But your concept is flawed because the public IS free from your smoke, they just have to go around it. And nobody here is even advocating for the right to smoke wherever "I damn well please!" No, we're arguing for a common-sense compromise.
"Loss of freedom, loss of freedom!!!" say the people who hold up the concept of absolute freedom drafted by men who owned other people as property and saw no need for women to enjoy freedom or rights.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #92
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I have never said anything about cancer, my problem with it is it's disgusting. It is disgusting, that's not propaganda.

There are certain places where I expect it and I choose not go there if I don't want to be around. Work is not one of those places. I do not work in a place where it isn't expected or encouraged. If you can't man up and do your work without needing a smoke, you are a sissy. That's not my problem. It isn't professional to have to skip out on work every hour for an addiction or make the entire office suffer for it.

Bars are one place it is expected, that's part of a bar. Outlawing it there is stupid and you are driving them other places where they don't need to be to smoke up.

Restaurants, no, hold your fucking dirty habit til after you finish your meal and go ruin the interior of your car.
I was generalizing. I hope you realize your view of smoking at work is a generalization as well. When I have worked in an office environment I only smoked during the allowed break times and lunch.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #93
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
"Loss of freedom, loss of freedom!!!" say the people who hold up the concept of absolute freedom drafted by men who owned other people as property and saw no need for women to enjoy freedom or rights.
But upheld by men who felt freedom for all was important enough to sacrifice more blood than was spilled in all other American wars combined.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #94
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Well you guys went from having the world to having designated areas. I can see why you are mad, but the rest of us got tired of putting up with that shit everywhere.
Here smoking is banned in all restaurants and pretty much any bar that serves food. It was put on the ballot and a majority voted for it. It doesn't bother me at all. I don't mind giving up indoor areas to nonsmokers, especially when it is done through a vote rather than by fiat (like NYC).

What I do ask is when you come across me standing outside those establishments as far away from the door as possible and trying to avoid blowing smoke on or around people please don't bitch and moan about how I should be restricted to some magical place where my disgusting activity will never in any way affect anyone else.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #95
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
But upheld by men who felt freedom for all was important enough to sacrifice more blood than was spilled in all other American wars combined.
To be fair that war was more about freedom for all, as long as you aren't toting around a vag.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #96
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
To be fair that war was more about freedom for all, as long as you aren't toting around a vag.
And society progressed. Due to the industrialization that was enacted during and following the Civil War women were able to have a voice to begin their own crusade for equal rights.

Progression. Its NOT the devil.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #97
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I don't smoke.

I don't like smoke.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #98
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I don't smoke.

I don't like smoke.
Me neither.

Hell, I don't even like being in a car behind someone who is smoking. And don't get me started about the jackasses that throw their butts out the window so that I have to practice my avoidance techniques!

And hey, shouldn't you be studying or something?!
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #99
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
And society progressed. Due to the industrialization that was enacted during and following the Civil War women were able to have a voice to begin their own crusade for equal rights.

Progression. Its NOT the devil.
I agree. Some hold a view that absolute freedom existed at some time in our country's history and what we are doing today takes away from that. That time never existed. My point is essentially the same one you made 3 hours ago. Sometimes when one person's "freedom" is taken away it is a consequence of creating more "freedom" for another person. Conversely, when one person is celebrating some additional "freedom" they now enjoy, it is without thought to any restrictions of the "freedom" of another that may result.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #100
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

The propaganda about smoking really seems to have set in with a lot of people here. The funny thing is much of that propaganda is paid for by the cigarette companies themselves. I'm amazed that so many of you are able to function on a daily basis without ever having anything intrude upon your personal existence. If you go out in public you can expect to have to deal with, you guessed it, the public. This includes occasionally having brief encounters with things you may not want to smell, hear, or see.
"propaganda"? Father-smoked, throat and lung cancer, Grandfather-smoked, lung cancer, 3 uncles smoked- cancer, cancer and cancer. Sister-smoked, lung cancer, brother- smoked- throat then lung cancer. It is not propaganda that smoking causes cancer, are you seriously that delusional?
omg some of you believe in man made global warming but you don't believe that smoking causes cancer, really?

Dealing with the public means that I have to put up with anything you decide to produce? Heck, maybe I'll blow off some chlorine gas every few minutes because I like it...deal with it. Maybe I'll shoot pepper spray into your face every once in a while... deal with it.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote