Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #91
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I'll try to make this simple for the smokers...

You are a regular smoker, 1/2 pack or pack a day (give or take)

This is what happens.

When you inhale, all those toxins emitting from that ciggy get into your lungs/bloodstream, preventing oxygen getting to your lungs.

Your body compensates by making more red blood cells(which carry oxygen to your body) trying to get oxygen to your cells.

More red blood cells = thick blood.

Who wants tamato sauce in their viens? That = a stroke or heart attack
Yep...the carbonmonoxide has an higher affinity to the hemoglobin than oxygen, hence why more red blood cells are produced.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #92
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Well there have been numerous studies on this, but regarding the specific individual, quite hard to prove.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I'll try to make this simple for the smokers...

You are a regular smoker, 1/2 pack or pack a day (give or take)

This is what happens.

When you inhale, all those toxins emitting from that ciggy get into your lungs/bloodstream, preventing oxygen getting to your lungs.

Your body compensates by making more red blood cells(which carry oxygen to your body) trying to get oxygen to your cells.

More red blood cells = thick blood.

Who wants tamato sauce in their viens? That = a stroke or heart attack
Holy shit, who invited Bill Nye?
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #93
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
No shit. Why bring logic or facts to a TWFix debate? We are just suppose to tell each other to fuck themselves to prove a point.

Real Talk

Okay, I'm in a good mood now. I had my smoke and am less stressed.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #94
Inferno
Canyon Carver

Moto: 08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Exactly.

I am nerdy, but not that nerdy
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #95
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Where were you when all the drug addicts here were ganging up on me?
Sorry man, I arrived late to the party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Cancer comes from a whole lot of stuff, like used motor oil, artificial sweeteners, and motorcycle exhaust.
And the water bottles we drink out of, and styrofoam we eat off of, and asbestos dust, and the lead thats in shit, etc etc etc. The average person IS submitted to about the same amount of shit that causes cancer, smoker or not. But a smoker just adds more ontop of that "average" amount. Especially an american smoker. http://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2010/r100601.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Then let's talk about the cigarette butts laying all over the road. And then ask a smoker why they don't leave it in their car. They'll tell you "Because it stinks the car up".
That is my personal pet peeve. When a smoker throws a lit cig out the window infront of me. Especially on my goddamn bike. I dont care if you smoke, just dont flick it at me at 50 mph please.

My best friend does it all the time, and he has a Smokey the Bear license plate...
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #96
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
But those same smokers miss more work than non-smokers would, use less sick days, and company productivity would go up meaning companies pay more taxes and blah blah blah. Not to mention that smokers often times do other drugs including pills so they go into the ER trying to scam doctors for pills which raises costs.

Seriously, are you expecting me to believe that if everyone smoked that we'd be better off?

Do you have a link to the NEJM article? I am curious about it.
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/337/15/1052

Their conclusion: If people stopped smoking, there would be a savings in health care costs, but only in the short term. Eventually, smoking cessation would lead to increased health care costs.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #97
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
One thing about smoking is it can affect people around them. I had to hold my breath on my R6 before waiting at lights because of people smoking in cars ahead of me. So it is a personal choice but it does affect many other people.

James
I hate the smell of propane vehicles and axe bodywash.. Does that mean they shouldn't be allowed?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #98
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

We're dying from the day we are concieved, so who gives a shit? I smoked 2-3 packs a day for YEARS...started when I was 12 (didn't smoke that much then...). I quit cigs last year and moved to little cigars. In April, I put it all down for a bit, but have a leg hanging off the wagon ATM with bigger cigars when I run out of Nic Juice for my e-cig. I had a physical in December, and my bad cholesterol was 55 and the good was 65. I don't know what it was before, but I feel better (except for some weight gain) than I did two years ago...

I CAN vape at the office if I keep it out of sight. My boss thinks it's funny as hell watching me smoke a blue flashlight...I don't see vaping as an issue, as it DOESN'T hurt anyone around...it's propylene glycol...something used medically if I'm correct, to administer certain drugs (I think Diazepam was one?). The FDA hasn't put their paws in the mix yet, but c'mon....according to them, EVERYTHING is going to kill us, so WTH. I don't get the whole "You can't vape at work" BS, and your car is private property, so I also think it's BS to say you can't smoke in it as long as your not leaning out your window blowing it in someones face. That's just ass-hole...

Rant over...now where's my coffee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #99
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/337/15/1052

Their conclusion: If people stopped smoking, there would be a savings in health care costs, but only in the short term. Eventually, smoking cessation would lead to increased health care costs.
Thanks man. I'll have to read it later.

Which I get the concept. People die younger who smoke so they don't cost money later on. Hell, black people die younger too so if they started to live longer they'd be expensive to have. We just can't afford that right now. Not in today's economy.

Then again Obama smokes and he's cool so I might just have to try it.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #100
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
What I find funny is how smokers say that non smokers need to grow a thicker skin and not worry about that they are doing and so on. But if they had such think skin themselves then they wouldn't get so upset when someone disagreed with their decision to smoke.

James
I haven't made a head count here, but I think it's been smokers = 3, non = about 10.

I am not upset, I just don't like to be hunted down like a rabid dog and persecuted for what is legal in this country. Drunk drivers affect more people than cigs ever will.

The ghetto blasting cars that rattle my house windows make me effing nuts, parents that won't control their children in public make me ape shit. I have yet to tell any of those people that they make me nuts, nor do I write my congressman asking that they keep their bad habits at least 50 feet from me.

Everyone does things that annoy other people. It's part of living as a society. If it were up to me, I'd be in a cabin in the woods a hundred miles from the nearest person.