Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #91
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Dude, even your quote said a freefall would make you feel weightless.
So what's the issue? Do you disagree with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
And one of the dudes that actually made the jump that high has actually said he was scared he wasn't falling.
If so, sorry but I don't believe him. Dude was probably just psyched so much about the whole ordeal that he didn't remember the sensations.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #92
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

At first I was like oh nice unreleased audio...Then I just laughed...I couldnt even imagine what he had going through his head.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #93
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

If so, sorry but I don't believe him. Dude was probably just psyched so much about the whole ordeal that he didn't remember the sensations.
I don't think that was an issue. The 100,000ft jump was the 4th of many high altitude jumps. His first one was done at 70,000ft. At that point I doubt another 30,000ft makes much of a difference to him.

Believe what you want to beleive. If you feel that the countless time that physicists have put into the research and testing is wrong for the past 500 fuck it thousands of years, then believe what you want.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #94
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Believe what you want to beleive. If you feel that the countless time that physicists have put into the research and testing is wrong for the past 500 fuck it thousands of years, then believe what you want.
I just want to make sure what it is we're disagreeing about. Are you saying that if you took 2 guys, both of them jumping from the same altitude, but one is doing it within the normal atmosphere while the other is doing it inside some kind of vacuum tube, that the first guy would feel the jump while the other wouldn't?

If so, why exactly? My wikipedia quote shows that you don't need rushing air to make your body feel the effects of weightlessness. You were standing on the platform, creating the sensation of weight within your body, but then you jump, resulting in the cessation of that sensation. Not sure what else to say.

Would a vacuum make the drop feel less dramatic? Sure, because of the lack of air rushing around you. But that doesn't mean you won't feel ANYTHING.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #95
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
I just want to make sure what it is we're disagreeing about. Are you saying that if you took 2 guys, both of them jumping from the same altitude, but one is doing it within the normal atmosphere while the other is doing it inside some kind of vacuum tube, that the first guy would feel the jump while the other wouldn't?

If so, why exactly? My wikipedia quote shows that you don't need rushing air to make your body feel the effects of weightlessness. You were standing on the platform, creating the sensation of weight within your body, but then you jump, resulting in the cessation of that sensation. Not sure what else to say.

Would a vacuum make the drop feel less dramatic? Sure, because of the lack of air rushing around you. But that doesn't mean you won't feel ANYTHING.
So you are arguing that people feel weightlessness when falling but they don't feel weightlessness? You have officially confused the fuck out of me. LOL

This is what I am saying...

People feel weightless while falling.

People also feel weightless in space.

When the guy jumped out of the balloon, he would eventually feel weightless after the initial forces of exiting the balloon

Falling weightless feeling guy does not have the sensation of falling, he feels weightless like he does in space due to falling in almost a vacuum, he is in a very low pressure and no air friction. He also is experiencing very little visual cues to verify he is getting closer to earth. All of this makes him feel weightless, but he is having a hard time discerning that he is actually falling at incredible speed.

You can compare this to being in the space shuttle. Gravity is constantly pulling on these astronauts and they are moving at incredible speed around earth and through space in general, but yet they don't feel like they are moving at this incredible speed, they just feel weightless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #96
Homeslice
Elitist

I don't disagree with any of that, as long as you agree that he "feels" a change as soon as he steps off the platform. He feels a sudden shift from being fully weighted (at whatever G it was at 120K feet), to being weightless. That is a transition your body feels.

I originally called this feeling "falling" which is where you guys objected, because someone way up there isn't going to feel the wind or sound rushing by him. But while that is true, he is still going to feel the shift from weighted to weightless. I think all of us agree on that, but we are just arguing about which word to call it. Semantics really.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #97
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
I don't disagree with any of that, as long as you agree that he "feels" a change as soon as he steps off the platform. He feels a sudden shift from being fully weighted (at whatever G it was at 120K feet), to being weightless. That is a transition your body feels.

I originally called this feeling "falling" which is where you guys objected, because someone way up there isn't going to feel the wind or sound rushing by him. But while that is true, he is still going to feel the shift from weighted to weightless. I think all of us agree on that, but we are just arguing about which word to call it. Semantics really.
He's really going to have several really weird feeling transitions. He's going to have a quick transitional period between the initial drop part and weightlessness.

Then he is going to go through that weird part of is he falling. Next was probably "OMFG I am spinning". Then he hits the air friction and its like stomping on the brakes really fin hard. Then he probably just has a normal parachute jump type feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #98
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

If you watch the vid of the original dude doing it, he stated that he didnt feel like he was falling until he hit the atmosphere and felt/heard the wind.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #99
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Yes, and that is exactly right. I showed you the basic math why that is true. You're choosing to ignore algebra. Maybe some calculus (3 level at that)

Here is how physics works in the very basic form. Imagine these are somewhat to scale and are vector quantities. Vector quantities have magnitude AND DIRECTION. If you are driving a car at 60mph that is the magnitude of your speed. If you are driving your car 60mph to the EAST that is a vector quantity.

Now I'm going to use sideways arrows to demostrate and ask you to try this on your own.

First part:
Push against a wall in your home. Does it actually move (above very small scale)? If so, get a job in the NFL.
Since the wall didn't move here is the force you put against the wall and the force the wall put against you.

----><----
Now add those together by putting the base of the right arrow onto the tip of the red arrow. Add those together and you get a vector quantity of 0. You are back where you started, nothing happend regardless of path. YOU DIDN"T MOVE. That's vector calculus. The force you push against the wall equals the negative force that the wall is pushing against you.

Which by the way when you add those together in regards to velocity you get the change in velocity.
For example
------> +
<-- =
------> minus two dashes so your change in velocity is
---->
Change in velocity is actually acceleration (change of velocity over change in time dv/dt). That is why acceleratin is done with second squared in the denomenator. You're changing speed by say 10m/s for every second of hcange in time. In this case, it's in the positive direction.

Now you are pushing against Saturn V rocket that is parallel to the ground. Left arrow is you, right arrow is giant fucking rocket and the force it exerts
-><-----------------------------------------------------------------
(not to scale)
Do you think that a Saturn V rocket is going to notice you being there? Is your presence pushing against the rocket going to slow it down? Maybe by 1/10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000 of a mph, but essentially zero. The rocket ship doesn't notice you there nor do the astronauts (your guts) on the inside or the molecules and energy blasting out the back side. If the rocket suddenly hit another bigger rocket, the astronauts would feel that (for a very short time and probably not long enough to register ot their brain).

Now you are falling from space. Forget the jump part, let's just focus on the 1 minute where he was just falling in space.

Now using the sideways arrows again we'll represent the left arrow as the force of the air pushing against the space jumper.
<---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Where is the left arrow? It's not there!

If you add the "two" vectors together you get 0 + -(other vector). That is the reason for constant acceleration.

If want to determine the force of the vector, you multiply the two vectors together. Or more accurately use the dot product. vector(a:left arrow) dotted with vector(b:right arrow)= normal(which is the sqrt of the magnitude of the vectors) of both vectors times cosine of theta. Our theta in this case is 90degrees which equals 0. Vector A is = to zero which makes the dot product equal to 0, 2 times!

Simpler
0*<---------------------(infinity) = 0. Back to A=F/m relative to the jumper. There is no force. So again, F=0/m = 0. No acceleration and that includes every molecule in his body.

That's the math behind it.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #100
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
So what's the issue? Do you disagree with that?

Poor Homie.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote