Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #91
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

The time to slow down is when YOU decide. It's just that simple. The only thing to look out for is I've seen people take the step you're contemplating and make the mistake of trying to ride the replacement bike like an ss. Anyway, the key is for you to be happy. Who gives a fuck what other people think? Do whatever makes you happy right now, there's no law that says you can't ever come back to sportbikes later.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #92
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
The time to slow down is when YOU decide. It's just that simple. The only thing to look out for is I've seen people take the step you're contemplating and make the mistake of trying to ride the replacement bike like an ss. Anyway, the key is for you to be happy. Who gives a fuck what other people think? Do whatever makes you happy right now, there's no law that says you can't ever come back to sportbikes later.
Who is this and where's Tigger?

Too close to reason and rationality there buddy...

and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #93
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
already had this convo w/ u at the rally, u know my opinion.

I never ride hard enough to put a knee down on the street anymore, and i use the bike mostly for travel. Granted its not the most comfortable thing in the world, but its still fun for me. I think i'd like to get something more rugged though. Ive been going out riding a lot of adventures and stuff lately and they are very apealing. Mixxing camping and touring just sounds swell.
I'm sold on the F800GS... now just to sell my truck so I can buy one...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #94
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

This is going to get long... but I think with my history, knowledge and wrenching time in the garage that makes my 2 cents better than most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
You got it. I've got a call into my dealer to demo one. My buddy is thinking about giving up his GSXR for the HD Rocker, as well.
Sounds like a built in riding group

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Agreed.

All show....not much go. The ULTIMATE posuer bikes.

Get a metric power cruiser....much better performance and reliability....for half the cost.
Better performence? Are you kidding me? My wife's old 883 whooped many metric cruisers including the great Hondas (Shadow 1100 and VTX 1300) with much less motor size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
This is Bs plain and simple. I've ridden a few Harleys and their Jap clones. I'd pick the Harley any day.

If you can't see how much better the Harley is built, then you're looking with your eyes closed.

As for performance, I was very surprised at how hard apocs bike pulled to 110mph. I was even more amazed at how little damage it received sliding down the road. One single scratch...

You can sit here all day and spew anti Harley propoganda. Those of us who notice the diddrence between rc cola and coke like to pay a bit more for better quality.
I agree with performence as said above and anybody that wants a show can go for a ride with me. Bring your rice cruiser and we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I love harley fanboys. Harley isn't quality, it's a name brand that people want. The engineering and quality control of those machines are marginal at best. The engineering and quality control of the rice machines are well above anything harley has nowadays.
So how many rice and hd's do you wrench on? That's what I thought! I do and newer 2005+ hd's are top notch. Pretty much EFI fixed a great deal of the HD's problems. Do you have any idea how much time HD now puts into R&D? Its insane... take a hd factory tour. Then feel free to try the same with your rice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Rice fanboy or Harley fanboy? What's the diff?

As for being a fanboy, I'm far from it. I was a closed minded Harley hater like the rest of you up until a few years back. Then I stopped listening to what others said and tried them. And after that, I stand 100% behind what I said.

Just because you and people like to do not like something doesn't mean its garbage and your opinion isn't the only one that counts.

You make it seem as though Harley riders are brainwashed sheep, yet the average sportbike rider just buys whatever has the best spec sheet in most cases.

and its not like the Harley rider can't afford the Jap clone. They just choose not to buy it..
I had much the same mindset when on my rockets. Why would I want a hd that can't hit 100mph in second gear? That's fuckin stupid. Then the changes happened by me and HD. I still didn't want a HD at first that's why I got the big dog. But then I got the wife's 2007 sporty... it changed my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I don't think buying a GSXR 750 would be considered an "image". It's a niche market for people who want middle weight handling with liter bike performance. What image would be portrayed by that other than a performance minded individual. HD riders (for the most part) are going for the "tough guy" image. No gear, big gut, over compensation for their tiny dick, more money than brains type individual.
Interesting... you never said this to me in person before...

Quote:
The difference is I am not a fanboy of either. I am in process of selling my reliable Honda for a reliable adv tourer that isn't a rice bike. I am getting a BMW (omg it's not a rice bike) because that's what they are known for in the field I am choosing to ride in, just like the Honda was reliable in sportbikes.

BTW, it's not people like us who say it. Harley's are known worldwide for their mechanical issues, just as they are as well known worldwide for their image which brings them the business in the face of their problems.

You are a fanboy, you refuse to look at overwhelming evidence widely available anywhere about reliability and quality control of the japs vs harleys. Sure any harley guy can buy a much cheaper jap bike, we all understand how money works, but thanks for pointing that out.... We also understand how marketing and image works, which you seem to be lacking in knowledge.

The ninja 500s are seriously lacking in braking and suspension for anyone who wants to track it. If you are putting around town is one thing, but if you are wanting to take it to the track, you would need to invest a lot more in performance parts than it would cost to get stock 600 which is already well setup for that use.
HD has been changing their public view with some great machines lately... open your mind. Same goes for the american cars. Today's Chevy/Ford is WAY WAY better than a 2001. Just is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Buying a Harley is buying an image.

Anyone who disputes that is unwilling to admit the truth.

Buying a modern Harley is buying a quality bike.

Anyone who disputes that is: still living in the AMF days or hasn't ridden a modern HD or is just reiterating what they have heard at the local Jap shop/hangout/sportbike night.
I deny that I bought my bike for an image, the chop, maybe, but not the hd. There isn't a rice bike out that can compete with my ultra besides maybe a goldwing and I don't like them. But Yam, Suz got nothing.

Exactly... I'm not defending yester year HD. Today's HD's are money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Not likely.

You clearly haven't seen a review of the XR. I have zero interest in a metric cruiser. ZERO. They all look like shit. Harley's look good and they sound better. And the XR can still handle business. I'm for it.
Exactly. Every other rice cruiser is trying to imitate an HD. Deny that and you don't know what you are talking about.

Oh... ok

But this thread is suppose to be about Trips BMW and his choice to step away from sportbikes. So who wants to debate my knowledge on the subject at hand? Before you say anything... check my garage lift thread. That's just a taste of my expierences.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #95
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

http://vimeo.com/3913841
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 PM   #96
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
a whole buncha shit
I just have one question: if you have any extra HD's lying around send one my way

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #97
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

No extra's 2 new ones taps me out...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #98
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Better performence? Are you kidding me? My wife's old 883 whooped many metric cruisers including the great Hondas (Shadow 1100 and VTX 1300) with much less motor size.

I agree with performence as said above and anybody that wants a show can go for a ride with me. Bring your rice cruiser and we'll see.

So how many rice and hd's do you wrench on? That's what I thought! I do and newer 2005+ hd's are top notch. Pretty much EFI fixed a great deal of the HD's problems. Do you have any idea how much time HD now puts into R&D? Its insane... take a hd factory tour. Then feel free to try the same with your rice...

HD has been changing their public view with some great machines lately... open your mind. Same goes for the american cars. Today's Chevy/Ford is WAY WAY better than a 2001. Just is!

Exactly... I'm not defending yester year HD. Today's HD's are money!

Exactly. Every other rice cruiser is trying to imitate an HD. Deny that and you don't know what you are talking about.

Oh... ok

But this thread is suppose to be about Trips BMW and his choice to step away from sportbikes. So who wants to debate my knowledge on the subject at hand? Before you say anything... check my garage lift thread. That's just a taste of my expierences.
Sorry, I know American engineering vs the world. We aren't improving. Defend us all you want, American is not what it once was. Keep your chevy/dodge/ford or any of that other crap. Detroit can suck my ass.

As for everyone trying to copy HD. Have you actually researched their history. They have a knack for copying other designs as well.

I'm more than willing to put up Honda R&D to Harley R&D any day of the week. It's like F1 vs NASCAR R&D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #99
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Sorry, I know American engineering vs the world. We aren't improving. Defend us all you want, American is not what it once was. Keep your chevy/dodge/ford or any of that other crap. Detroit can suck my ass.

As for everyone trying to copy HD. Have you actually researched their history. They have a knack for copying other designs as well.

I'm more than willing to put up Honda R&D to Harley R&D any day of the week. It's like F1 vs NASCAR R&D.
Dude how old are you? I think the problem is that you need to ride the 600rr HARDER!!! I'm 36 and I still tear it up hard every weekend.

Anyway, as far as American engineering...its still the best IMO and many suppliers that Detriot uses are components that come from Europe or Japan.

I have an 08 Malibu and a 06 F150 and both are excellent vehicles.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #100
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Dude how old are you? I think the problem is that you need to ride the 600rr HARDER!!! I'm 36 and I still tear it up hard every weekend.

Anyway, as far as American engineering...its still the best IMO and many suppliers that Detriot uses are components that come from Europe or Japan.

I have an 08 Malibu and a 06 F150 and both are excellent vehicles.
I am 29. I just don't have the need or want for a sportbike. Sorry, it's just not there for me. I am not you.

I am a product of American engineering. I disagree on our quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote