Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-20-2010, 06:20 AM   #111
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
So, you don't like smoke so it's bad.. Everything else is cool, because the government hasn't told you it's bad yet?

The emissions from a vehicle will straight up kill you. But, that has never been an issue for you being behind a vehicle, but cigarette smoke has?

Then please tell me how come nobody has committed suicide by smoking in their garage, yet it's a somewhat common form of suicide to idle your vehicle and inhale the exhaust until you can't inhale anymore.

Edit: Very drunk, so if I come across harsh, I don't mean it that way.
Thats bullshit. Yes your right. Exhaust is bad as well. I don't put my lips around a cig and I do not put my lips around an exhaust pipe. At the Fire station we have an system that is put on the exhaust of the fire trucks as they come into the bay and it stays on. Its set to release as the truck drives out of the bay.

I don't need the government to tell me its cigarettes are bad. I have to wear an SCBA to keep smoke out of my lungs so I wouldn't put cigarette smoke in them just for something to do.

There is nothing good about smoking. If some people like it then that is their choice but they can't argue the fact that it is bad for you and the people around them.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #112
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
More silly examples... sure exhaust is bad for you but getting from point A to point B can be necessary... Of course there are less polluting ways to travel and driving is an "unhealthy choice" but again, smoking isn't just an unhealthy alternative to breathing. Is the argument that since there are other unhealthy, stinky, unpleasant things in life, smoking in public should be okay? Is that really the best that you all can muster? Smoking is a disgusting, nasty, senseless and SELFISH habit that doesn't benefit either the addict nor those unfortunate enough to be around him. It's really that simple. That there are MORE dangerous or disgusting habits in the world is of no real consequence. IMHO.
And I haven't argued otherwise. What I've been saying this whole time is that even though smoking is, disgusting, nasty, senseless and a SELFISH habit that doesn't benefit either the addict nor those unfortunate enough to be around him. It's still their right to do it.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #113
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
Thats bullshit. Yes your right. Exhaust is bad as well. I don't put my lips around a cig and I do not put my lips around an exhaust pipe. At the Fire station we have an system that is put on the exhaust of the fire trucks as they come into the bay and it stays on. Its set to release as the truck drives out of the bay.

I don't need the government to tell me its cigarettes are bad. I have to wear an SCBA to keep smoke out of my lungs so I wouldn't put cigarette smoke in them just for something to do.

There is nothing good about smoking. If some people like it then that is their choice but they can't argue the fact that it is bad for you and the people around them.

James

Nobody said it wasn't bad for them or the people around them. You and Tig are completely hung up on that it's bad for you. You're right. It is a gross habit that has no benefit aside from making the person smoking happy. Catching a whiff of cig smoke is NOT going to kill you.

They've made it illegal just about everywhere. So why does it bother you guys if people smoke in their homes or their cars?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #114
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
And I haven't argued otherwise. What I've been saying this whole time is that even though smoking is, disgusting, nasty, senseless and a SELFISH habit that doesn't benefit either the addict nor those unfortunate enough to be around him. It's still their right to do it.
Okay, I thought that you all were pointing out other things that were bad for people like; chocolate, caffeine, car exhaust, Mc Donald's, wings, obesity, hydrocarbons, Axe body wash, etc... I thought that instead of just agreeing that smoking is bad and no one should do it, a bunch of you are trying to justify it by pointing out that other things are bad too. Like I said before, you certainly may answer the "why do you smoke" argument with, "because I want to" or "because it's legal" but "well there are other things that are just as bad" is a retarded debate strategy at best.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #115
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Nobody said it wasn't bad for them or the people around them. You and Tig are completely hung up on that it's bad for you. You're right. It is a gross habit that has no benefit aside from making the person smoking happy. Catching a whiff of cig smoke is NOT going to kill you.

They've made it illegal just about everywhere. So why does it bother you guys if people smoke in their homes or their cars?
Ah, ah, ah whoa now, no one has argued against smoking at home. Go back and read how this thread started, then come back and talk to me.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #116
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:

Its because there are asholes out there that will smoke right in front of a door that I have to take my kids through. They can smoke in their car or house if they want. They can also deal with people complaining about the smell if they go to sell it.

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #117
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/337/15/1052

Their conclusion: If people stopped smoking, there would be a savings in health care costs, but only in the short term. Eventually, smoking cessation would lead to increased health care costs.
Read the article and very interesting. I also couldn't help but laugh while reading through it as I envision President Obama getting pissed if people quit smoking with a full on government ran healthcare program. "uh, guys, you need to start smoking. Anyone caught doing a triathlon, going to Whole Foods or smoking anything less than Reds will be shot on sight. You fuckers are living too long and we can't afford it"
Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #118
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Last time I voiced my opinion on a thread like this I made a third of the forum hate me, even though I tried to be as nice as possible. This time I keep my mouth shut :P
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #119
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Last time I voiced my opinion on a thread like this I made a third of the forum hate me, even though I tried to be as nice as possible. This time I keep my mouth shut :P
They still hate you so please speak up
Old 06-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #120
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
They still hate you so please speak up
Yea if you want to join the big leagues and get to my status, you'll need to alienate at least another 1/3 of the forum.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 06-21-2010 at 06:39 PM..