Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #131
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
But then we would all die like the dinosaurs cuz hoomans are too stupid not to drive into things like that...

Yep!!! Oh and I appreciate that you "get me"... I just get tired of people that use 3 drops less oil than I do, telling me how to live.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #132
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
I avoided this tactic because they covered it with Rush Limbaugh...it could also be said that by draining off the pressure with drilling, we actually reduce the amount of oil that seeps into the ocean.... In other words, if we left oil alone, we would have hundreds of tar pits around the world....
I'm always confused by the deflection statements of "it happens in nature anyway..."

Do zebra muscles have their place in the environment, yes. What happens when humans introduce them artifically into another environment? Bad things. To simply state that something happens to some extent somewhere else on the planet is not a valid argument.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #133
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post
Because the media blows most everything out of proportion it makes it hard to judge what is really a disaster. Like I said in an earlier post - I was in Alaska after the Valdez and the locals said the spill was nowhere close to being as bad as potrayed...

Same goes for whenever we get 1/4" of snow here - you'd think the world was coming to an end..
On this ONE point I have to disagree. I had friends who helped clean and know many fishermen in the area. It WAS that bad.

Luv ya! Mean it!
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #134
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I'm always confused by the deflection statements of "it happens in nature anyway..."

Do zebra muscles have their place in the environment, yes. What happens when humans introduce them artifically into another environment? Bad things. To simply state that something happens to some extent somewhere else on the planet is not a valid argument.
what if it occurs in that part of the world naturally... what if they could prove that this oil plus whatever has been pumped would have seeped into the ocean naturally, them what? oil is a natural compound... I honestly want to discuss this as I am honestly interested in non emotionally driven debate.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #135
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
what if it occurs in that part of the world naturally... what if they could prove that this oil plus whatever has been pumped would have seeped into the ocean naturally, them what? oil is a natural compound... I honestly want to discuss this as I am honestly interested in non emotionally driven debate.
OK, I won't use smilies.

If they can prove THAT MUCH oil seeps from the ground in that area naturally then I wouldn't have any issue with it at all.

Hell, I'm just hoping the industry starts taking the safety issues seriously. And, by safety, I mean for people and the world around them.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 05-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #136
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Thats a big IF. Proving that oil could leak through 1000 m of rock.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #137
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Thats a big IF. Proving that oil could leak through 1000 m of rock.
The note at the bottom of the below linked page, continuing to the next page, covers how they estimate natural seepage. Part of that estimate is through observation of actual natural seepage. Take it how you want but scientists actually observing it happening constitutes proof for me.

The primary subject of the link shows how and in what quantities the government believes oil gets in to the seas for anyone else who is interested.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10388&page=69
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #138
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

I sure hope that you aren't equating a minute level of natural seepage with punching a bike sized hole straight down to it.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #139
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I sure hope that you aren't equating a minute level of natural seepage with punching a bike sized hole straight down to it.
That's what I'm reading.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #140
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
If by "minute level" you mean their midline estimate of 140,000 metric tons per year (around 1 million barrels per year) in the Gulf of Mexico alone than yes, that is what I am equating it to.

ETA: As I said in my earlier post though, there will be a large impact because of the concentration of oil in this case.

Last edited by goof2; 05-06-2010 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: added more info
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote