Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #131
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Yeah, it's a requirement to ride on base, so it's offered for free on base, I teach it for free but the military paid for me to get certified and any professional development seminars or other further training I get will be free for me. They really take the safety thing seriously, and so do I, that's why I got involved with it. The stuff I learned in the BRC and ERC has saved my life several times, and I'm pretty stoked that I can help other people out the same way.
You teach a sportbike specific training class? Are the speeds faster than the parking lot speeds?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #132
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
LOL and you are complaining about me wanting more in depth training and training with friends. Basically you just forfeited all your debate. Win for me. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Nice to fuck up your arguments when you didn't even wait for the MSF to end, you got out there with your friends before you even finished the course. Thanks for admitting it.
He said he practiced what HE LEARNED FROM THE MSF. No win.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #133
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Avatard, can she ride a regular bicycle?
Yes, but not in a manner that inspires me to ride closely alongside
Old 04-26-2010, 01:03 AM   #134
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Yes, but not in a manner that inspires me to ride closely alongside

I think she should work on one skill at a time on separate days and have her stop for the day when she has done well and feeling good about it. That way she doesn't go home and stew about doing something wrong and get discouraged.

How are you teaching her about clutch control? Have her clutch out until she feels the bike move and clutch in again and like Amorok said, have her control it and walk with the bike. When she gets comfortable teach her how to use the brakes. Maybe front brake first before the rear (so she doesn't get confused and then both). Let her clutch out in first, ride straight away from stuff she can crash into and then clutch in and brake.

I wouldn't even teach her how to shift until she can get that done.

How does she feel about you teaching her to ride? Do you make her more nervous because she feels like she has to meet or exceed your expectations?

I know I learn better from people I am not related to. But mostly because they can't teach and they end up making me want to punch them. My mom tried teaching me how to drive once but gave no instructions other than turn the wheel. After we both wanted to kill each other after 5 minutes she sent me to driving school and I learned really quickly.

After MSF, my friend took me to the parking lot a couple of times and then on quiet neighborhoods. Then I moved back to NY and met my husband who tried to cram 15 years of riding experience at me at one time. I remember one of the first times we went out together he tried to teach me about lane positioning, at the stop sign, yelling through his helmet and when all I could think about was stopping and not tipping over. Talk about nerve wracking. It got to the point that I had to ride with other people (with him not around or in front where he couldn't see what I was doing) that I got more comfortable and I didn't get comfortable until we stopped riding together and I would go out alone.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #135
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

My ER-6N would make a great teaching bike. It's like you're sitting on a stool and the power delivery isn't, "my head is 6ft behind me."
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #136
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
He said he practiced what HE LEARNED FROM THE MSF. No win.
Yes win, he was out on the road illegaly with the help of his friends beyond what the MSF teaches before the course was even over. That's a win.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #137
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

This thread is why I want to develop a new class at the track....
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #138
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
He followed me and sometimes that made me feel like I was being pushed. I preferred when he would lead, which was at a comfortable pace for me. He knew the limits and knew I wouldn't push mine.
The idea is it's better to have your partner behind you, usually at a bit of a distance, rather then some idiot in his toyota who thinks all bikers are asshats and deserve to be pushed when possible.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #139
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
The idea is it's better to have your partner behind you, usually at a bit of a distance, rather then some idiot in his toyota who thinks all bikers are asshats and deserve to be pushed when possible.
plus people in front of you make you want to keep up with them.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #140
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
plus people in front of you make you want to keep up with them.
Right. And, you and I know it makes sense... because we have experience. But, I've found that women [especially] have problems with being "watched." They feel they are being critiqued at every move. It might make it a bit easier if you let them know WHY you ride behind them, and that you might be watching - but we usually forget what you did after riding 100ft

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote