Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #141
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Right. And, you and I know it makes sense... because we have experience. But, I've found that women [especially] have problems with being "watched." They feel they are being critiqued at every move. It might make it a bit easier if you let them know WHY you ride behind them, and that you might be watching - but we usually forget what you did after riding 100ft
Good point
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #142
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
BRC - no, you can't ride it in the class
ERC - yes
you can bring your own bike to BRC in TX but we don't recommend it.

and of course have to sign waivers and pass a quick tech inspection and be road legal w/ ins.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #143
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
you can bring your own bike to BRC in TX but we don't recommend it.

and of course have to sign waivers and pass a quick tech inspection and be road legal w/ ins.
That's a nice improvement. I didn't have a bike yet when I took it, but that would of been a nice option.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #144
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

recent (as in last yr) brit transplant
seasoned rider/seasoned racer

posted today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
so I took my MSF course at San Jac Central, Pasadena over the weekend.
I can't recommend them highly enough,
great team of instructors and Rick the head honcho is one of the funniest guys you could ever meet.
Learnt a lot about slow speed bike control and was pretty shocked at how many bad habbits I'd picked up over the years!!
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #145
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
recent (as in last yr) brit transplant
seasoned rider/seasoned racer

posted today.
Also from today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
I took my MSF course this weekend. It was awful. I went to the one in Richmond Texas, and my instructor was some fat dude named "Ed". He kept grabbing my ass, and whispering "start small" in my ear . It made me very uncomfortable.
JC
Old 04-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #146
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Also from today:

JC

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #147
Trip
Hold mah beer!

hahhahahahahahhahaha, awesome
Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #148
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Old 04-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #149
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

....I'm taking the ERC on the 13th of May. Practice doing slow maneuvers can't ever be a bad thing. I'd like to try a track day next.
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #150
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

[QUOTE=Trip;365934]MSF is not a tiered system. It's one class/one tier. The tiered system in Europe allows you to advance through the levels of bikes and progress.

There is no progression plan in the MSF. It's here's some basic shit, now go out into the world.[QUOTE]There is progression, the same as the classes you described in Europe. The BRC teaches basic motorcycle skills such as clutch control, braking, etc. The ERC teaches more advanced skills such as anticipating curves, moving atg a higher rate of speed. And the parking lot speeds? In the ERC they're moving at much slower tht road speeds but they get up to 25 in some excercies. Coincidentally, this is the speed limit for most of the base.

[QUOTE=Trip;365934]The euro training courses I am referring to, does go through the noob basics and you progress to actual street riding and further beyond that. It's a true progression of skill to the point where you are qualified to ride on the road safely without needing further training where as the average rider is not ready for the street right out of MSF.[QUOTE]I agree that more training is needed, you're not ready to race out of an MSF course. That's why I give my students information on riding groups and encourage them to come ride with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Another reason for my dislike is the level of skill of the teachers that I experienced. I don't know the skill of racer x, but I am sure it is high level. That's not the case in my class. The ridercoaches I came in contact with, weren't high level riders. Yey, they can read from a book and give basic commands. Congrats, you deserve to teach people something you can barely do yourself... Sorry, if someone I care about is going to learn to ride, I want a teacher who actually has a sufficient amount of skill in the subject.

Knowing what I know now about the area and what the ridercoaches told us in class, it makes me laugh. They were the ones that actually believe and relayed the misinformation/rumors about deals gap and they did that in class.
I can't speak for that, I don't know your instructors. I do know that I have to be able to perform the exercises I put the students through with a high level of accuracy, and I do my best. I try not to relay misinformation, but nobody's perfect man, not even those vaunted European instructors. Like I said, at the rally this year I'm going to try to put together part of one of the exercises we do, we'll see how it works out.

To answer some others, you can ride your own bike in our BRC/ERC. I encourage it actually, since you should familiarize yourself with what you're riding.

You can score 20 points or below in the course, but it isn't one point for everything. In the quick stop you get one point per foot over the standard for your time. In the swerve you'll get ten points assessed if you hit the obstacle, five for braking during the swerve. So the points are assessed differently depending on the severity of the consequences of what you did. The worse the consequences of that mistake in the real world, the higher the points assessed in the simulation.You can ride the first three test exercises fine, but three mistakes in the cornering exercise will fail you. Which makes sense, since a high percentage of motorcycle accidents involving serious injuries are during turns. Likewise, there are at least five exercises where turning is practices and three or so for swerving (don't have my cards with me) but only two for quick stops.

I don't teach the sport bike course yet, but when they start putting people through the cert course here I have a slot reserved, which means I'm in the market for a sport bike (don't tell Ulu!) There is an MSF street riding course that goes beyond the ERC, there's also a cruiser specific school as well as a dirt bike school. So I can put you through a BRC, an ERC, a sport bike or cruiser course, and a street riding course. How much more tiered do you want?

Last edited by Amorok; 04-26-2010 at 05:00 PM..
Amorok is offline   Reply With Quote