Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #141
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
So you think that being "cannon fodder" for the government is a great option? BTW a college graduate could make enough money to buy a house with the difference in pay between himself and a private in the military over four years...
Veterans benefits (health care and other benefit) for only a few years commitment far makes up the difference.

Lifetime healthcare cost can run up to 7 figure value + cost of tuition + benefits of an education and all the other stuff.....totally trumps the opportunity cost of holding off college for a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #142
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Veterans benefits (health care and other benefit) for only a few years commitment far makes up the difference.

Lifetime healthcare cost can run up to 7 figure value + cost of tuition + benefits of an education and all the other stuff.....totally trumps the opportunity cost of holding off college for a couple of years.
What? I don't get any "benefits".... I don't know what people think veterans get after service but I didn't get squat.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #143
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
What? I don't get any "benefits".... I don't know what people think veterans get after service but I didn't get squat.
Why aren't you eligible?

http://www.usa.gov/Federal_Employees...Benefits.shtml
http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-benefits

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 12-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #144
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

The average 21 yo new college grad probably has $30-50K student loan debt........And if he is lucky/good enough to get a job that actually USES his degree, he might make $45K the first year, and MAYBE increase to 60K by his 4th year. That isn't ballin' by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, some people make more, but not every graduate is an engineer or investment banker.

So by age 25 it's very doubtful they'll have paid off their student loans, and most of them won't own a house yet either. In fact most of them blow their money on a "sweet" new car with Xenon lights, rims, and stereo, not to mention the latest cellphones, data plans, cable, video games, alcohol, brand-name clothing, etc.

So there is no way they'll be financially ahead of a guy with 4 yrs military under his belt.

Last edited by Homeslice; 12-24-2010 at 11:10 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #145
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
The average 21 yo new college grad probably has $30-50K student loan debt........And if he is lucky/good enough to get a job that actually USES his degree, he might make $40K the first year, and MAYBE increase to 55-60 by his 4th year. That isn't ballin' by any stretch of the imagination. Not everyone is an engineer or investment banker.

So by age 25 there is no way he'll have paid off his student loans, and most of them don't own a house yet either. In fact most of them blow their money on a nice new car with Xenon lights and aftermarket mods, plus tons of music, games, alcohol, brand-name clothing, etc.

So there is no way they'll be ahead financially of a guy with 4 yrs military under his belt.
What, military guys don't blow their money on crap or have loans? You've never served have you? most of the guys I served with were always broke from partying, toys and bitches! Dave, you still here? School this REMF shit when I got out I had a few hundred bucks, a duffel bag full of clothes and that's about it.... Of course that was mostly my fault but you act like everyone on the army is investing all their loot in Roth iras or some shit.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #146
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
The average 21 yo new college grad probably has $30-50K student loan debt........And if he is lucky/good enough to get a job that actually USES his degree, he might make $45K the first year, and MAYBE increase to 60K by his 4th year. That isn't ballin' by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, some people make more, but not every graduate is an engineer or investment banker.

So by age 25 it's very doubtful they'll have paid off their student loans, and most of them won't own a house yet either. In fact most of them blow their money on a "sweet" new car with Xenon lights, rims, and stereo, not to mention the latest cellphones, data plans, cable, video games, alcohol, brand-name clothing, etc.

So there is no way they'll be financially ahead of a guy with 4 yrs military under his belt.

My school has annual tuition of about 18K a year.
Lot of veterans go there and uncle sam covers everything.
tuition, fees, books...everything.
VA takes care of medical needs. Annual value of that can range from $5000 to 6 figures if they are receiving treatment for a condition.

Add on to that the ability to also work in the private sector while going to school receiving benefits.
Friend of mine hurt his ankle in an accident while stationed in Germany.
Got honorable discharge, worked a 40K a year job in the private sector while enrolled in a 18K a year school paid for by US government AND had the VA take care of long term effects of what happened with his leg (surgery, PT, etc).

Quote:
Old 12-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #147
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
What, military guys don't blow their money on crap or have loans? You've never served have you? most of the guys I served with were always broke from partying, toys and bitches! Dave, you still here? School this REMF shit when I got out I had a few hundred bucks, a duffel bag full of clothes and that's about it.... Of course that was mostly my fault but you act like everyone on the army is investing all their loot in Roth iras or some shit.
A lot of kids do blow their cash, there's just as many who don't however. Hell we had a 1st sergeant who would bring in brokers to teach classes on ira's and other investments
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #148
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
A lot of kids do blow their cash, there's just as many who don't however. Hell we had a 1st sergeant who would bring in brokers to teach classes on ira's and other investments
I didn't say all but he's acting like all college grass have huge loans and blow their money. My gf hasn't taken any loans for school and graduates this year. It's not all black and white...
Old 12-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #149
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
It's not all black and white...
Well....you are.

Quote:
Old 12-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #150
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I don't know if it's that big of a difference up here. But, the majority of the people I know in the forces have homes and savings. They even pay the closing costs and legal fees for the first two years of any posting to encourage home ownership.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote