Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #151
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
But one could easily assume she gives the bare minimum...
That would be assuming something that wasn't stated and is likely incorrect. you lot are beating on her for something that she didn't say.

For myself, I understand that tipping is how a server makes ends meet, however, I feel no obligation to ALWAYS give a tip. If the service was non existent, then there is no tip. I have had servers who were surly, slow, and inept. That usually earns a tip that brings it up to the next dollar, so I can get out of the place without waiting for change. OTOH I'm a notorious OVER-tipper, when the service is good. A 25% tip is the norm; better for exemplary service. Hell, if I'm in The Waffle House I plunk down a twenty for a $10.00 cheque.

One thing that really annoys me, that I've run into in upscale restaurants or when the party is 8 or more people, is the *enforced* tip placed right on the bill. Those people get burnt because they don't get a penny more from me. There's a reason why it's referred to as a 'gratuity', rather than a 'mandatory.'

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #152
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
No, I'm not fine with a 25 dollar burger. Grasping at straws to prove a point? Its not going to happen.

If you are dumb enough to take a job paying 2 an hour. I'm mean enough to not give a shit if it doesn't cover your bills.
Its not a job paying $2 an hour, its a job that relies on tips. No server actually makes $2 an hour.

Anyone who values the experience of going out to eat and being waited on while eating good food should realize the tip system is the best way to accomplish that goal.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #153
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Ppl bringing me my food should realize they chose that profession. Not me.

You will never change my mind...
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #154
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
So that means you don't ever go out to eat, right? You realize those people(at least in America) make $2.15 an hour?

Talk about a load of bullshit.
I guess only Papa Complex got that I still tip (and well). I don't believe in a lot of systems but still participate in them.

I tip and I tip well. I'm kind to servers and understand their job as I've done it. I probably tip more than most for good service. But I'm not going to participate in an online pissing match becuase you don't understand what I wrote. Is this why you made such a great server?

Quote:
So you'd rather restaurants pay their servers $12+ an hour plus benefits to give them a comparable salary? That way you can pay 3X as much for your meal instead of leaving a decent 20% tip. Unless of course you have a better idea....?

Or I guess they could just get paid minimum wage. Just imagine the quality of service you'd get then...it would pretty much take all the fun out of going out to eat.

For real people, if you're too fucking cheap to leave a tip then don't go out, don't order food and don't get any personal service. You can be the ones to deal with Indian customer service and automated call lines.
I'm not cheap and like I said before I tip and tip well.

In Canada servers make minimum wage. I understand that it's different in the States so when I'm in the States I tip even more (my usual is 20% in Canada but I definitely up that in the States).

I just think the whole concept is weird. You don't tip the cashier at Walmart yet they make the same amount (in Canada). Or how about at Subway when they have a tip jar? I think it's an odd system yet like I said before I TIP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
For the people ripping on Kell: She said that she doesn't believe in tipping, BUT DOES IT ANYWAY.
Thank you. And PC's been out to eat with me. I don't remember getting the spitty burger but maybe he got it.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #155
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

I wondered why that stir-fry tasted like tobacco.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #156
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
She never said that.
I'm sorry that I didn't spell it out.

I realize that servers don't make a lot of money and I know that tipping is part of the deal.

Shitty service = shitty tip

Average service = average tip

Stellar service = very good tip

Is that clear enough for the naysayers?
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #157
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
So you're ok with paying $25 for a burger right?
If they are willing to work for the hopes of getting 20% on a order, then how will a burger jump to $25 if the the employer had to pay the staff?

I understand that there will be other cost to the employer but it would not make the cost of a burger $25.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #158
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
i may be taken out by the klan for revealing this,
This is exactly why there are all the code words in the BIZ for black people -
"Oh no a table of 14 CANADIANS just sat down, i don't want that table , do you?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I really don't believe in tipping. Sorry...but I think it's a load of bullshit.
Quote:
I always say that its to your employer to pay your wage. If I give you extra, that's a bonus. If you're dependant on my kindness to make a living, you better pour on the charm and go that extra mile. If not, looks like its 2 an hour for you. And my conscience WILL be fine with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
For myself, I understand that tipping is how a server makes ends meet, however, I feel no obligation to ALWAYS give a tip.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #159
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Ppl bringing me my food should realize they chose that profession. Not me.

You will never change my mind...
Not trying to, I just like to argue.

The tip is what gets you stellar service when you go out to eat, its not because people enjoy bringing you food. If restaurants start paying minimum wage to get away from the tip system you are going to get the absolute worst service any time you go out to eat or go to the bar.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #160
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I wasn't ripping or beating on anyone...just responding to a post as to how I took it...either not tipping or tipping at a minimum.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Just to get one thing straight...tipping is to be earned...no doubt. Crappy service or a nasty attitude = little to no tip...plain and simple.

Good service = good tip...that's just the way it is in the US for most at least.

I also get tired of seeing tip jars everywhere in places that one used to not even tip in the first place.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote