Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #161
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Aqua, we agree on the profile of fats in grass fed vs corn fed beef, noone is arguing about that.

But the article your showing is looking at overall percentages of the whole beef. If you scroll up and read, I specificly said that ribs/back/certain other cuts DEFINATELY have more fat content than grass fed would, but that the leaner cuts are virtually the same. I think were disagreeing on different things.

I also said that corn fed have a much higher bodyfat percentage than grass fed. Its inevitable. We know that.

But lean cuts still have the same protein as non lean cuts.

What that article is saying, is that there is less of a percentage of protein than there was before. This is true, because the body fat is much higher. So yes, if you look at overall mass of the animal, it carries far less protein overall than grass fed. Its twisting numbers to make a point, but its also not the most effective way to look at the numbers.

But, lean cut for lean cut, they are virtually the same, aside from a couple of extra grams of fat, which goes back to my original port about HCFS and glycemic index. There is nothing wrong with that fat, if your eating correctly and seperating carbs and fat in your meals.

It goes back to one thing, personal choices. Its not the beef your eating that makes you fat. Its the whole structure of what constitutes a meal in North America. HCFS is not making america fat, greed is.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #162
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
That why I'm such a proponent of deer hunting. Low in fat, high in protein and you're only out the cost of a bullet and a $15 tag provided you process it yourself. Even if you pay to have it processed, it's only $100 for roughly 60lbs of meat.
How do you know that deer wasn't tappin into the corn fields?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:08 AM   #163
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
not really apoc.

you chose to purchase beef, you are buying corn. you chose to purchase chicken, you are buying corn. lots of things you would think have nothing to do with corn, are corn. it is not someone setting out to say , hey i want to go to the grocery and buy some corn-made products.

It is all behind the scenes. and for good reason.
Dude..there is nothing wrong with corn for the 100th time. And if the livestock are eating corn and you are getting beef from it, then so what? Is the beef full of corn? I mean seriously this isn't hard.

Most people understand that junk food makes them fat, but they really do not care all that much. Really they don't and this is the underlying issue.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 03-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #164
101lifts2
WSB Champion

I've read what everyone has wrote and have come to a few conclusions: In regards to what Aqua and Apoc are arguing regarding protein content, Apoc is correct in saying that the actual protein is almost the same (minus the fat content) and that there will be more protein in a grass free range animal vs. a caged corn fed one. True..BUT...you have to understand as well that the amino profile in free range grass fed cattle are higher than corn fed. So...there are more complete proteins in grass fed cattle, then corn fed. How much? I don't know without researching it. This does not mean there is more protein, just the profile is different. It is like a gallon of 87 octance vs. a gallon of 89 octane fuel. Same amount, different profile.

The other topic that corn is making us fat depends on how you catergoize people. If you view people as individuals, then no. If you view people as sheep, then yes. I tend to look at people as individuals (even though they are really sheep) and once educated, will learn. If they do not wish to learn, then fuck em. No sympthany from me.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 03-30-2010 at 09:16 PM..
Old 03-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #165
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
How do you know that deer wasn't tappin into the corn fields?
The deer I hunt are on private land that is surrounded by state land that has no corn fields. They eat the Alfalfa that is planted for them.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #166
AquaPython
put it THIS way

We got a little lost in the details.

Apoc we seem to agree on most things as you said. If the article is talking about % of protein to body mass, that makes sense. But that also may only be one study.

My main point was that HFCS is part of a much larger problem with corn, and further, the food industry. I posted the one sentence about fats and proteins and you guys decided to jump on it. That's ok , i feel i backed the statement up with decent supporting evidence, as was asked.
But i just want to point out that even in the articles i posted, and others and myself commented on, there are MANY problems with feedlot beef, beyond the corn, such as the pathogens, and the antibiotics that make it possible, etc etc....
Old 03-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #167
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
The deer I hunt are on private land that is surrounded by state land that has no corn fields. They eat the Alfalfa that is planted for them.
We feed the deer on our land just a little corn.
It's great for making them stand in one place while we feed them bullets.

(and no, they aren't the least bit tame... they just like their corn enough to take risks coming out into the open. )
Old 03-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #168
Apoc

Quote:
We got a little lost in the details.

Apoc we seem to agree on most things as you said. If the article is talking about % of protein to body mass, that makes sense. But that also may only be one study.
Ya, you were looking at the profile of the whole beef, and I was talking about the profile of the meat itself, which is why I was talking about Amino Acids and DNA profiles. Had I understood what you were talking about, I would have stopped arguing long ago. But its hard to determine who's right when your arguing about totally different things

Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #169
AquaPython
put it THIS way

its the goddam internets!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #170
Apoc

Quote:
its the goddam internets!
I blame Obama!

And to a lesser extent, Al Gore!