Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #171
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Puggy doesn't do raw meat. She went through a phase when she didn't even want to eat cooked meat. She would eat all the rice and veggies in the bowl and would leave the meat. She'll eat fish though.

I remember having her over at Tommymac's at a BBQ and he gave her some rare steak. When she realized what it was she spit it out and backed away from it. and looked really irritated. She nearly took a finger off though when someone else gave her some salad fixings.
You've ruined that dog.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #172
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Bumped this to update my experience with the raw diet.

My 2 Schnauzers are loving the new diet. My prissy Schnoodle-still on the fence.

I have a 14 YO Schnauzer that I basically thought she would be doing great if she lasted until Spring. She now bounces around like a pup. Her eyes bright and clear. Middle Schnauzer has lost 5 lbs and is in great shape. Schnoodle is starting to be a dog and eat meat.

Wife is totally on board now that she sees the dogs improvement. We just spent a good part of the day shopping for dog food in the meat and veggie dept. Color another skeptic a believer.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:44 AM   #173
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I know when we try to feed brinks some raw chicken he wants nothing to do with it. But I'm sure hunger has a great deal to do with that.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #174
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
Bumped this to update my experience with the raw diet.

My 2 Schnauzers are loving the new diet. My prissy Schnoodle-still on the fence.

I have a 14 YO Schnauzer that I basically thought she would be doing great if she lasted until Spring. She now bounces around like a pup. Her eyes bright and clear. Middle Schnauzer has lost 5 lbs and is in great shape. Schnoodle is starting to be a dog and eat meat.

Wife is totally on board now that she sees the dogs improvement. We just spent a good part of the day shopping for dog food in the meat and veggie dept. Color another skeptic a believer.
That's awesome. Older/unhealthy dogs being revived by the raw diet is a very common reoccurring theme. Congrats man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I know when we try to feed brinks some raw chicken he wants nothing to do with it. But I'm sure hunger has a great deal to do with that.
That's only because its so foreign to him as he's used to kibble. My dogs were like that too, they were like "WTF am I supposed to do with this? Now, a couple years later, if you were to put a bowl of Pedigree in front of them they would literally weep for your soul.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:39 AM   #175
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Yeah I'm sure. But with the pure size of Brinks, the undertaking this diet would be, is just a bit much for me at this point.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #176
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Sadie is still doing tremendous. We are her pack, we hunt for her. I swear, that's how she acts.

She turns 14 in a month. Still doing really great. We've added a pat of butter and peanut butter to her breakfast, it's been so dry and this helped with her coat.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #177
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure. But with the pure size of Brinks, the undertaking this diet would be, is just a bit much for me at this point.
The one book I bought- the woman fed her wolfhound a half a turkey every day.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #178
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
He would probably eat around a half a chicken a day, so around $2. I'd expect Brinks to cost around $70 a month to feed with meat and add-ons like liver/peanut butter/scraps, etc. They actually require less weight when they eat raw vs. kibble.

I feed 3 large dogs raw, so you won't get a lot of sympathy from me. A 10lb bag of chicken quarters ($5.90) lasts two days for three large dogs.

As I've said, I think its cheaper or around the same price as kibble (unless you're feeding your dog Ol' Roy/Pedigree) but it's definitely more "trouble."

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Sadie is still doing tremendous. We are her pack, we hunt for her. I swear, that's how she acts.

She turns 14 in a month. Still doing really great. We've added a pat of butter and peanut butter to her breakfast, it's been so dry and this helped with her coat.
The behavior changes they go through on a raw diet that you provide for them is what amazes me. Yea, of course they're healthier when they eat real food, that part is a given. But the way the bond with them increases is what really motivates me to continue feeding them this way. Well, that, and the fact that I only have to scoop poop once a week now instead of every day.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 04-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #179
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
He would probably eat around a half a chicken a day, so around $2. I'd expect Brinks to cost around $70 a month to feed with meat and add-ons like liver/peanut butter/scraps, etc. They actually require less weight when they eat raw vs. kibble.

I feed 3 large dogs raw, so you won't get a lot of sympathy from me. A 10lb bag of chicken quarters ($5.90) lasts two days for three large dogs.

As I've said, I think its cheaper or around the same price as kibble (unless you're feeding your dog Ol' Roy/Pedigree) but it's definitely more "trouble."

The behavior changes they go through on a raw diet that you provide for them is what amazes me. Yea, of course they're healthier when they eat real food, that part is a given. But the way the bond with them increases is what really motivates me to continue feeding them this way. Well, that, and the fact that I only have to scoop poop once a week now instead of every day.
She now *talks* to us in the morning. I think she sounds like a wookie It's funny, I can have a conversation with her.

I don't think this is any more trouble than kibble. Sure, it's more work than putting your hand in a bin and scooping out the amount you need. But, I buy chicken thighs in bulk then split them up to two thighs to a tupperware and stack them in the freezer. Then, just have two in the fridge to thaw - open and drop in her bowl in the evening. Breakfast takes the most time - cracking an egg is the most time consumption.

But, you're right. The bond we have now is worth all of it. And, it's less work in the long run. I don't even scoop poo unless we are out on a walk. In the yard it turns to dust.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #180
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
She now *talks* to us in the morning. I think she sounds like a wookie It's funny, I can have a conversation with her.

I don't think this is any more trouble than kibble. Sure, it's more work than putting your hand in a bin and scooping out the amount you need. But, I buy chicken thighs in bulk then split them up to two thighs to a tupperware and stack them in the freezer. Then, just have two in the fridge to thaw - open and drop in her bowl in the evening. Breakfast takes the most time - cracking an egg is the most time consumption.

But, you're right. The bond we have now is worth all of it. And, it's less work in the long run. I don't even scoop poo unless we are out on a walk. In the yard it turns to dust.
Wow that's actually pretty amazing to read. Our dogs all talk to us now in much the same way, whereas they didn't before being fed real food consistantly. They really put a lot of theater into it too, I always feel like they're so close to being able to say what they want you to hear....but they just can't quite vocalize it. I always thought I was just stoned.