Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #181
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6

The pics make all the more scary. Glad you were okay after that.
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #182
Rider
Moto GP Star

It's funny going back and looking at some of the old responses. People like CEO trying to point the finger that this was my fault. If it was my fault I would have gotten a ticket. I think it's safe to say that in reality there was no way to avoid this wreck other than to not be there at all. That, or creep over the hill at 5mph which is not realistic.

The police use a set formula to determine speed. They don't account for things like moisture from dew(which was not there when the investigation team showed up), rocks on the road, cold tires, leaves, going down hill....Those all add up. Their estimation said I was traveling 36 in a 35. In reality I COULD have been traveling more like 25 or 30.

In any case, this was a situation that could not have been avoided. It doesn't matter though. I'm ok and that is the only thing that matters. The bike was totaled.. big deal. I got my money back from the insurance company and all of my medical bills were paid by the owner of the dump trucks insurance.

Some things I learned form this experience:
- Gear is your friend
- Frame sliders might have saved my bike from the wrecking yard
- No matter your riding experience, you are at risk of going down
- Bikes can be replaced
- I miss riding more than I thought I would

Thanks to everyone who supported me though this. You guys are great.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #183
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I'm glad it all worked out in the end. Like they say....bikes can be replaced.

Do you have any lasting pain at all? I hope not!

FWIW, I don't think CEO was being a dick. I think he was just pointing it out very matter of factly.

I had an accident in my car a number of years ago. I was in second gear going up a hill in an ice storm. On the other side of the hill (which I obviously couldn't see) a car was spinning out and hitting a tree. As I crested that hill the tree was falling. Instead of losing control of my vehicle I actually controlled it enough to hit the top (more flexible branches) of the tree which caused less damage to the car.

In the eyes of the insurance and the law I was still at fault because I lost control of my vehicle. Simple as. It's not a blaming thing.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #184
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I'm glad it all worked out in the end. Like they say....bikes can be replaced.

Do you have any lasting pain at all? I hope not!

FWIW, I don't think CEO was being a dick. I think he was just pointing it out very matter of factly.

I had an accident in my car a number of years ago. I was in second gear going up a hill in an ice storm. On the other side of the hill (which I obviously couldn't see) a car was spinning out and hitting a tree. As I crested that hill the tree was falling. Instead of losing control of my vehicle I actually controlled it enough to hit the top (more flexible branches) of the tree which caused less damage to the car.

In the eyes of the insurance and the law I was still at fault because I lost control of my vehicle. Simple as. It's not a blaming thing.
Yeah, I still have just a tiny bit of surface nerve damage still. It has no affect on my ability to walk or anything, there are just places that have no feeling on the top outside part of my calf.

I know CEO wasn't being a dick. He tells it like he thinks it is. He doesn't sugar coat anything and I respect him for that.

Control or no control my bike was going to hit the truck no matter what I did so "losing control" played no part of the accident. The fact that he was over a blind hill and taking up both lanes of traffic is the ONLY reason the accident occurred. Had he had a flagger at the top of the hill it would have been a different story. Technically since he was moving and he was in my lane, he should have gotten a ticket for failure to yield right of way or in the very least crossing a double yellow line causing an accident.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #185
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
sorry guys... this is NOT ed's fault... it'd be VERY hard to prove he was doing 5mph over the speed limit... the gravel from the recent paving and the cold conditions added to his accident. if those conditions lower the speed limit then there should have been a construction sign lowering the speed limit...

The dude was blocking the road... unless they can tell by a skid mark or what ever, that ed was traveling at a speed greater than 35, the truck driver is at fault. but there's no way they'll be able to tell his speed down to 5mph. shit at least on my bike.... I loose 5mph in an instant by shutting the throttle. so chances are he'd be under 35mph by the time he hit the brakes.
Dammit 6 months old...edited. Fuck

I agree that its not the "truck drivers fault" for the fact that he had no control over your motorcycle and looking at the top of that hill, its only a 3% grade with at least a 100 foot view of the bottom.

Glad I don't ride in MI anymore...roads are shit.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 05-29-2009 at 04:20 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #186
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
A parked car in the road is a parked car in the road. Ed hit the truck , its his fault. It doesn't matter how fast he was going and its not like the truck pulled out in front and the cop prolly wouldn't give any tickets because he didn't see anything.

Are u liberal? LOL

Sorry about the crash...shit happens.
It wasn't parked the truck was moving and he moved into my lane.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #187
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
A parked car in the road is a parked car in the road. Ed hit the truck , its his fault. It doesn't matter how fast he was going and its not like the truck pulled out in front and the cop prolly wouldn't give any tickets because he didn't see anything.

Are u liberal? LOL

Sorry about the crash...shit happens.
sorry but the truck is at fault. you can't block a road and expect that anything that hit's you is at fault. especially on a blind crest.

you telling me it'd be your fault if you came around a corner and some dudes in the middle of doing a U turn and you broad side him? BS.

what does being a liberal have anything to do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
It wasn't parked the truck was moving and he moved into my lane.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #188
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

You should call Dale Sprik!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #189
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Also joining in late.. glad to see you are still with us, and that is why I hate blind turns/hills what have you.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #190
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Try telling that to Andrew Trevitt.......
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote