Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 04-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #181
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Dude, corn fed livestock isnt the reason for obesity
No, overeating is, rather fucking obviously.

The fact remains, however, that (as I have suspected, and said for years) HFCS DOES metabolize different than table sugar, and is more fattening.

Also, the near complete removal of Omega 3 from our diets (as a result of changing the diet of livestock to corn) may have little to do with obesity, but it has EVERYTHING to do with health.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #182
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

If we're going to talk about the shortage of Omega 3 in our diet, meat is only half the problem. The other half of the problem is how nearly all flour-based products (bread, cereal, bagels, chips, cookies, crackers, etc.) are made with cheap oil like palm or soybean oil that has no Omega 3. And you're not going to fix that problem unless you pay extra for stuff that is labeled Omega 3. If the consumer is willing to do so, things will change. There's no conspiracy to keep it from us. They could have used flax or olive oil if the consumer demanded it. The problem is, most people don't, because they are stupid and only care about taste.

Last edited by Homeslice; 04-05-2010 at 01:33 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #183
Rider
Moto GP Star

I take Omega 3 supplements but I hate the aftertaste of it. I burp that stuff up all day long and it reminds me of castor oil. I know it's good for me though. I need to find a better brand.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #184
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Try Krill oil (I take Mega-Red). No fish burps.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #185
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I take Omega 3 supplements but I hate the aftertaste of it. I burp that stuff up all day long and it reminds me of castor oil. I know it's good for me though. I need to find a better brand.
Get one with an enteric coating. This is what I use, from nutritionexpress
Attached Images
File Type: gif 94-687-X500.gif (69.0 KB, 30 views)
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #186
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
No, overeating is, rather fucking obviously.

The fact remains, however, that (as I have suspected, and said for years) HFCS DOES metabolize different than table sugar, and is more fattening.

Also, the near complete removal of Omega 3 from our diets (as a result of changing the diet of livestock to corn) may have little to do with obesity, but it has EVERYTHING to do with health.
Guess what? Sugar is absolutely horrible for your health too, as horrible as corn syrop.

As has been said, if you feel your not getting enough Omegas, get some fish oil, or eat more fish. Corn has nothing to do with your health, and lean cuts of corn fed beef arent bad for you. Beef has never been a main source of Omega fats. Your overstating a small problem, that can be completely overcome by better food choices.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #187
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Guess what? Sugar is absolutely horrible for your health too, as horrible as corn syrop.
Funny, that's not what the article regarding the research that is the subject of this thread said.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #188
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Reading is fundamental:

Quote:
When male rats were given water sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup in addition to a standard diet of rat chow, the animals gained much more weight than male rats that received water sweetened with table sugar, or sucrose, along with the standard diet. The concentration of sugar in the sucrose solution was the same as is found in some commercial soft drinks, while the high-fructose corn syrup solution was half as concentrated as most sodas, including the orange soft drink shown here. (Photo: Denise Applewhite)
High-fructose corn syrup and sucrose are both compounds that contain the simple sugars fructose and glucose, but there at least two clear differences between them. First, sucrose is composed of equal amounts of the two simple sugars -- it is 50 percent fructose and 50 percent glucose -- but the typical high-fructose corn syrup used in this study features a slightly imbalanced ratio, containing 55 percent fructose and 42 percent glucose. Larger sugar molecules called higher saccharides make up the remaining 3 percent of the sweetener. Second, as a result of the manufacturing process for high-fructose corn syrup, the fructose molecules in the sweetener are free and unbound, ready for absorption and utilization. In contrast, every fructose molecule in sucrose that comes from cane sugar or beet sugar is bound to a corresponding glucose molecule and must go through an extra metabolic step before it can be utilized.

This creates a fascinating puzzle. The rats in the Princeton study became obese by drinking high-fructose corn syrup, but not by drinking sucrose. The critical differences in appetite, metabolism and gene expression that underlie this phenomenon are yet to be discovered, but may relate to the fact that excess fructose is being metabolized to produce fat, while glucose is largely being processed for energy or stored as a carbohydrate, called glycogen, in the liver and muscles.
Even at nearly TWICE the concentration, table sugar wasn't as fattening. This should tell you that HFCS is MUCH MORE FATTENING.

Last edited by Avatard; 04-05-2010 at 02:07 PM..
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #189
AquaPython
put it THIS way

tard, lots of stuff that apoc is reiterating was proved wrong in the various sources i posted. He , nor homeslice nor any of the other nay-sayers have yet to post conflicting data from a single source.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #190
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Reading is fundamental:

Even at nearly TWICE the concentration, table sugar wasn't as fattening. This should tell you that HFCS is MUCH MORE FATTENING.
You dont get it, do you? Corn Syrop is very, very bad for you.

SO IS FUCKING TABLE SUGAR.

I dont know what you think you have proved me wrong on. It all comes down to nutrition and food choices. You shouldn't eat either. A tablespoon of corn sugar is only a little worse for you than a tablespoon of table sugar. The problem is, people are eating it by the CUP FULL. There is a half a cup of HFCS is a 355ml can of pepsi. So guess what? Dont drink pepsi. Dont put 5 sugar in your fucking coffee. Dont eat cake like its a rice cake.

Just because something is worse for you, ounce by ounce, than something else, doesnt mean you should eat bucketloads of the one thats not as bad.

Grapeseed oil is better for you than butter too, doesnt mean you should drink a cup of it.

You dont see that what were arguing, is that corn is not to blame. People shoving fistfulls of unhealthy foods down their dumb, greedy fucking mouths is.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.

Last edited by Apoc; 04-05-2010 at 02:38 PM..
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote