Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #11
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I've got a 42" Panasonic Plasma 1080P. It looks great. I love it. I've also got a pretty nice surround sound system. Polk speakers all around and a Pioneer reciever. The reciever isn't great...but it gets the job done.

Next is a blu-ray player.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I have a Samsung 4665 - 46" LCD 1080p....I like it a lot, but it's not without it's faults...

1) Gone through three mainboards in 8 months... The first had a flakey HDMI controller, which I've since learned is relatively common with this line (bad chips I think). The second one had a bad left channel audio output... The third had the same HDMI issue as the first (shit would just cut out without any reason, then come back at random)... The current one is AOK.

2) You have to cycle through ALL inputs other than the HDMI's if there is a device connected to them, even if the device is not on. I have a PS2, Xbox, DVD player, and my PC all connected... so to get to my Xbox 360, I need to cycle through all of those components. Not huge, but annoying.

3) Every other TV I've had you could connect a surround sound system to it and the TV remote would adjust the volume (internally on the TV). Not this thing... It will just turn up the internal speakers and make it sound like shit. To adjust the sound, I have to use the stereo remote... Again, not huge, but pretty fucking annoying (especially when the remote is across the room).

However, it's not all bad...

1) I bought this thing right when Samsung was releasing their new models... I was tempted to spend more for the new one with all the bells and whistles (120Hz, 10,000:1 contrast rate, etc)... The new ones however have a glossy screen and my living room has a LOT of outside light. I wouldn't have been able to see SHIT if I had bought the newer one.

2) I cannot see the difference between the new TV's and this thing... even when they were side-by-side in the store... After I got it properly set up, the picture is fucking amazing. Normal TV looks like assholes though. HD programming, Xbox 360, and PC look fanfuckingtabulicious.

I did a lot of research and shopping around when I bought mine... AV forums are a good place to start... there's a few really good ones out there that are easy to find... It helps to get a feel for a few models that fit your needs... some of things to look out for are:

1) Ambient light? Glossy screen will PISS YOU OFF. I promise. Honestly, the only way I'd buy a TV with a glossy screen anymore is if I had a dedicated home theatre room in the basement where there were no windows.

2) Primary viewing pleasure. Some TV's are better for sports and other fast action stuff. Others are better for multimedia and whatnot. Figure out your primary viewing needs and base your decision off of that.

3) Inputs/outputs. You may think they're all pretty much the same and you'd be right... however, I know of a guy who once bought a TV and couldn't hook all his shit up to it when he got it home. Sucks when you're spending $2k on a new TV.

4) Room size and viewing distance. My TV sits about 10 feet away from my recliner and about 13 feet from the couch. The loveseat is damn close, less than 5 feet away. While sitting in the loveseat does not offer the best viewing, the couch is perfect. My recliner is a little too close, but not uncomfortable. Anything bigger than my 46" would be TOO BIG in this room. Honestly, 42" probably would have been ideal, but hopefully I'll have a bigger living room one day.

5) Warranty. Just in case shit happens, but I wouldn't buy the extended service thingy. If you have one... use a Bank of America credit card to buy your TV. BoA CC's all have a built-in warranty doubler thingy... You buy a TV with a 1-year warranty using your card, it automatically becomes a 2-year warranty. It won't be through the manufacturer, but rather through BoA. They also provide an unconditional 90-day warranty... so if you drop your TV onto that nice brick fireplace and it cracks in half, they'll replace it free of charge. Other CC's might do this as well, but I know it's all standard on ALL BoA CC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I've got a 42" Panasonic Plasma 1080P. It looks great. I love it. I've also got a pretty nice surround sound system. Polk speakers all around and a Pioneer reciever. The reciever isn't great...but it gets the job done.

Next is a blu-ray player.
Pioneer makes good shit.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Shit... almost forgot... Check the price gap. The difference between the 42" and the 46" TV's were only a few hundred bucks. Move from the 46" to the 50"+ and you could be looking at another $600 easy. Honestly, the difference between the 46" and the 52" certainly wasn't enough to justify the cost for me. The difference between the 42" and 46" was dramatic enough to fork over the extra dough.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I have a 46" Sharp Aquos LCD and Rotel stereo components,Sony video components, Boston Acoustics speakers,a Boston Acoustics powered sub and a Polk Audio powered sub for the rear. Obviously,I subscribe to the "mix and match" theory of home entertainment system building. Also,I like using all separates in my system for sound quality reasons.

That being said,depending on your budget and musical tastes,a box system could easily satisfy your needs. My problem with the Bose 321 system is ,as Ebbs described,it's lack of highs and lows. Bose does an outstanding job using ports,chambers,and multi-directional drivers to simulate "big speaker" sound. Simulations rarely are as good as the real thing. Surround sound is supposed to require multiple speakers. When a helicopter comes in from the back and flies from right to left. It should hit both rears,slide to the right rear,go to mid right,to front right,to center,to left and away. Two or three speakers at the front of the room cannot reproduce that accurately,no matter how cleverly they are designed.

For the money,I like either the Onkyo box systems,the Yamaha or even the Samsung blue ray set-up. All three sell systems under a grand which are 7.1 surround (meaning they come with 7 speakers and a sub,just in case you're not familiar). The Samsung has a built in blu ray player and up converts regular dvds to 1080p. Of course,if you're feeling frisky and you have the room,I'd still rather see you get a 7.1 receiver,a "boxed" speaker set (boston Acoustics makes a great one)with a POWERED sub(important) and a blu ray player (I've seen them for $250). Get a blu ray,you'll thank me later!

Now as far as tvs go... I like the new Samsung lcds but the price is somewhat out of your budget,so I have to go the way I did go and suggest that you find a "last year's model" Sharp or Samsung. You'll get a hellava nice tv and not pay too much. I got my tv for $1200 with the 4 year warranty. Note;go check Office Depot. The people there don't know much about tvs but they had super cheap prices! Whatever you do,try and get a tv with 120hz if you can fit it in your price range,it makes a huge difference.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 10-26-2008 at 01:06 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Oh, and I got my TV on www.newegg.com. Cheapest place out there for mine...
Old 10-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #16
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Check out the November issue of Consumer Reports. They test 46-52 inch models. The 46-inch Sony Bravia rated high for only $1800. The issue also rates electronics stores, and how to bargain for the best price.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #17
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Check out the November issue of Consumer Reports. They test 46-52 inch models. The 46-inch Sony Bravia rated high for only $1800. The issue also rates electronics stores, and how to bargain for the best price.

I had the Sony Bravia XBR in 46" and it took a dump on me plus I believe the non-xbr tv is only 60hz. You'll be happier in the long run,especially with all tv going digital next year if you invest in the better set. IMHO.

Oh and be sure to get a tv with a built in digital tuner,if possible.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #18
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
My family friend lives by Sony Bravia.... they make excellent stuff...

My other friend says stay with the 3 S's (Sony, Samsung, Sharp)

We bought an LG not too long ago. Good tv, too much lag for gaming though, but thats with all of the HD tvs.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
My family friend lives by Sony Bravia.... they make excellent stuff...

My other friend says stay with the 3 S's (Sony, Samsung, Sharp)

We bought an LG not too long ago. Good tv, too much lag for gaming though, but thats with all of the HD tvs.
Not if they have 120hz...that's my point.

Almost forgot Sharp had a promotion for a free blu ray with the purchase of a tv.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 10-26-2008 at 05:06 PM..
Old 10-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #20
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Go LCD over plasma... 1 they're cheaper, 2. they're lighter (my dad's plasma I can't lift by myself it's a 50"... my friend had a 50" LCD that weighed like 50lbs) and 3. the picture quality is just as good if not better in some cases than plasma.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote