Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I hear the people who wear the armor are girl proof.
So stick to the sharp metal phallic symbols.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
What could possibly go wrong?!
Nobody here is talking about giving guns to everyone. You, on the other hand, are talking about taking guns away from everyone.

If you could somehow guarantee that guns actually would be taken away from everyone, I'd probably support the idea. But the reality is, you want to take away guns from everyone willing to follow the law. Leaving the only guns in the hands of those who don't follow the law. Brilliant.

Come back when you have a solution that passes the "I've thought this through for more than 2 seconds" test.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
Nobody here is talking about giving guns to everyone. You, on the other hand, are talking about taking guns away from everyone.

If you could somehow guarantee that guns actually would be taken away from everyone, I'd probably support the idea. But the reality is, you want to take away guns from everyone willing to follow the law. Leaving the only guns in the hands of those who don't follow the law. Brilliant.

Come back when you have a solution that passes the "I've thought this through for more than 2 seconds" test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dredd-UK-poster2-610x903.jpg (92.0 KB, 0 views)

Old 09-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Mother fucking son of a god damn bitch! Why can't they come out with a movie from an original idea? THey keep taking awesome but crappy movies from the 80s and revamping them to be shitty crappy movies of today. Except we get to see the shit flung in our face in 3D.

How about this movie? A fucking terrorist blows up Hollywood with a nuke except based on a true story.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Mother fucking son of a god damn bitch! Why can't they come out with a movie from an original idea? THey keep taking awesome but crappy movies from the 80s and revamping them to be shitty crappy movies of today. Except we get to see the shit flung in our face in 3D.

How about this movie? A fucking terrorist blows up Hollywood with a nuke except based on a true story.
Actually the Stalone version wasn't a whole lot like the comics that I grew up reading (had lots of friends from the UK). It disappointed me badly. Hollywood has a way of taking comedy and drama, from other cultures, and sucking the life right out of it. This time it sounds like they're doing it right. I wish that I could see it at TIFF, because it's premiering here. Let me break it down:

- a good, "B" grade actor for Dredd (Karl Urban, aka Vaako from Chronicles of Riddick)
- you don't see Dredd's face. Period. (You never did in the comic)
- bullets, 'spolsions, BLOCK WAR! (Need I say more?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEu1LsXrBeA

If you want an example of how Hollywood can kill a franchise that's successful elsewhere in the world, get hold of some episodes of a little UK SciFi comedy called "Red Dwarf." Then, if you have a strong stomach, find and watch the 2 (TWO) pilots that they made for the US audience. Imagine Monty Python's "The Life of Brian" with Ben Affleck playing the part of Brian. That bad.

Your next homework assignment is to watch the following:

The Magnificent Seven (not too bad)- 1960
Battle Beyond the Stars (crap) - 1980
Seven Samurai - 1954

Last Man Standing (mindless shoot-em-up) - 1996
Yojimbo - 1961

The Outrage (gag) - 1964
Rashomon - 1950

Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post

Sure, blame guns...

Nobody ever said everyone should be able to carry a gun. Only law abiding citizens who would use them to stop ass hats who shouldn't have guns from shooting up malls and schools.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #17
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Actually the Stalone version wasn't a whole lot like the comics that I grew up reading (had lots of friends from the UK). It disappointed me badly. Hollywood has a way of taking comedy and drama, from other cultures, and sucking the life right out of it. This time it sounds like they're doing it right. I wish that I could see it at TIFF, because it's premiering here. Let me break it down:

- a good, "B" grade actor for Dredd (Karl Urban, aka Vaako from Chronicles of Riddick)
- you don't see Dredd's face. Period. (You never did in the comic)
- bullets, 'spolsions, BLOCK WAR! (Need I say more?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEu1LsXrBeA

If you want an example of how Hollywood can kill a franchise that's successful elsewhere in the world, get hold of some episodes of a little UK SciFi comedy called "Red Dwarf." Then, if you have a strong stomach, find and watch the 2 (TWO) pilots that they made for the US audience. Imagine Monty Python's "The Life of Brian" with Ben Affleck playing the part of Brian. That bad.

Your next homework assignment is to watch the following:

The Magnificent Seven (not too bad)- 1960
Battle Beyond the Stars (crap) - 1980
Seven Samurai - 1954

Last Man Standing (mindless shoot-em-up) - 1996
Yojimbo - 1961

The Outrage (gag) - 1964
Rashomon - 1950

This. Dredd was a BADASS MOFO! Then Hollywood got their hands on him. Gave him a face (on top of that, it was Stallones fucking cockeyed face), and made a movie that had nothing at all in common with Judge Dredd. I Was lucky enough to read 4 2000 A.D. Compendiums (basically 4 books of about 20-25 comics each) , So I hated the movie because I knew what it should have been.

I guess if you thought the movie was a standalone fictional title, it could have been 'ok' (at best) for a mide 90's action flick. But if you're familiar with 2000 A.D., then not so much.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post

I guess if you thought the movie was a standalone fictional title, it could have been 'ok' (at best) for a mide 90's action flick. But if you're familiar with 2000 A.D., then not so much.
This applies to soooo many Hollywood adaptations and so-called sequels/prequels.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #19
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
This applies to soooo many Hollywood adaptations and so-called sequels/prequels.
Definitely how I felt about the Hollywood version of Dune, with Kyle McWhoosis. It was bloody silly. I'm heartened by the fact that Frank Herbert didn't like it either. The 2000 miniseries however, starring Alec Newman, was bloody brilliant. Now I hear they're working on another remake, due for release in 2014.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #20
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
The 2000 miniseries however, starring Alec Newman, was bloody brilliant.
It was too bad the follow up Children of Dune blew goats, the Dune miniseries was definitely really good.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote